17 Reasons to Feel Good About the Panthers Game

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Sorry I left you with so little time to read this.

1. The receiving matchups. Cam Newton is throwing to weak receivers covered by good defensive backs. Russell Wilson is throwing to the reverse. Cam is a turnover machine in playoff games, and I expect our defensive DVOA to show up more tomorrow.

2. Our defense is back. Prior to last October, nobody was particularly amazed by how well Newton played our defense. We were considered probably the closest thing to his kryptonite. Then he came in and blew us away in our house, and in all the worship, nobody noticed that our defense was playing on one foot.

Bobby Wagner, in particular, has been a key cog in our prior takedowns of Newton. He's made a great spy and solid tackler. He was out in October. So was anyone who could have pushed Cary Williams down the bench (in particular Jeremy Lane). Jordan Hill and Frank Clark, solid rotational players, were also out. Those are four difference makers, particularly against Cam.

3. We're not playing in Antarctic cold. This game won't bear any of the basic functional breakdowns we saw against the Vikings. (I have new respect for how much skill goes into a successful field goal.)

4. We don't need Lynch. Christine Michael has stopped sacrificing yards trying to be flashy, because he's figured out that gaining three yards a pop establishes the run and keeps defenses honest. It will open the playbook. Good thing too, because Lynch was already looking bad before being hurt, and I doubt he's motivated.

5. We have Lynch. Despite my annoyance at the most-watched bus-boarding in sports history, I doubt it can hurt having him. And to be perfectly honest, I still suspect Pete held him back against Minnesota, just like I suspect he did Harvin in 2013, because...

6. I half suspect that Pete was looking past Minnesota last week. It happens. Seattle almost drops an embarrassing home squeaker to some crap team, then blows up and utterly dominates some playoff contender (see: New Orleans regular season, 2013). I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'. But since I'm just sayin', this Carolina game, obviously, will be one that Pete is not looking past.

7. Greg Olsen Greg Schmolsen. We can cover tight ends. Our secondary was chaos when tight ends were beating us early in the year, yes, and it wasn't all Kam's fault. Pete put at least one such touchdown on Earl and at least one on Cary, from what I remember. Olsen might get some yards, but I doubt he pulls a Fitz. It's not like anyone else on their receiving squad will demand extra coverage. We devote resources to him and find a way.

8. We've become road warriors. You read that right. We've won six straight on the road. Thanks for that stat, Tech. (Irony: Seattle's home crowd noise has actually been hurting them as much as the opposition lately???!!!)

9. Carolina is weak on special teams. Their DVOA on defending kick returns is bottom ten; on punt returns, bottom five. Booming every kickoff deep has been enough to bury Tyler Lockett all eason. But watch for him to rip off at least one big return if Carolina isn't on point.

10. Our pass rush is nuts. That's exactly what we've been missing in every playoff exit thus far. I already mentioned Wagner, but our front seven can move, they're deep, they're healthy, and most importantly for this game, they can tackle. They're deep, and they're all healthy. Cam will be on his toes.

11. Kam is playing motivated. He was bashed a little unfairly last week, but he's always been key to any Seattle playoff run and he knows it. The Legion always reacts well to criticism.

12. Our run defense is top-notch. They've drawn notice from several analysts for their near-perfect discipline against Adrian Peterson. Cam will have to beat them with his arm. It might happen.

13. Seattle is operating on a different offensive playbook. Harking back to #1, I still maintain that Pete and Bevell darkened half their playbook until the bye. It strains credibility to think that they "just figured it out" at that point, or even that they "swallowed their pride" and implemented a radically different offense. They had it. They were just waiting for a late push to deploy it. It bit them in the ass and left them as the #6 seed, but here we are. Carolina won't be looking at the same simplistic BS they saw the first time.

14. The Panthers enjoyed a cupcake schedule. We did not. I was worried about our defense playing weak teams in November and December, sure. But our win against Arizona comforted me some. I am optimistic that our defense does not turn out to be another 2007-esque poser.

15. Ted Ginn, Jr. is gimpy. That doesn't help Cam or their special teams game.

16. Have you noticed we've cut waaaay back on the offensive penalties? No, of course not. They're only acknowledged when they're present, like so many other things. ;)

17. It's karma after all of Newton's douchy BS. Act like you've been in the end zone before, Cam.

Seattle 30
Carolina 21

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Good stuff! My warm and fuzzies are now sprouting warm and fuzzies.

idahohawk

Reaction score
Sure, I'll take a glass!

Latestcb20140623060251

MontanaHawk05":2szb3f7u said:
Sorry I left you with so little time to read this.

1. The receiving matchups. Cam Newton is throwing to weak receivers covered by good defensive backs. Russell Wilson is throwing to the reverse. Cam is a turnover machine in playoff games, and I expect our defensive DVOA to show up more tomorrow.

2. Our defense is back. Prior to last October, nobody was particularly amazed by how well Newton played our defense. We were considered probably the closest thing to his kryptonite. Then he came in and blew us away in our house, and in all the worship, nobody noticed that our defense was playing on one foot.

Bobby Wagner, in particular, has been a key cog in our prior takedowns of Newton. He's made a great spy and solid tackler. He was out in October. So was anyone who could have pushed Cary Williams down the bench (in particular Jeremy Lane). Jordan Hill and Frank Clark, solid rotational players, were also out. Those are four difference makers, particularly against Cam.

3. We're not playing in Antarctic cold. This game won't bear any of the basic functional breakdowns we saw against the Vikings. (I have new respect for how much skill goes into a successful field goal.)

4. We don't need Lynch. Christine Michael has stopped sacrificing yards trying to be flashy, because he's figured out that gaining three yards a pop establishes the run and keeps defenses honest. It will open the playbook. Good thing too, because Lynch was already looking bad before being hurt, and I doubt he's motivated.

5. We have Lynch. Despite my annoyance at the most-watched bus-boarding in sports history, I doubt it can hurt having him. And to be perfectly honest, I still suspect Pete held him back against Minnesota, just like I suspect he did Harvin in 2013, because...

6. I half suspect that Pete was looking past Minnesota last week. It happens. Seattle almost drops an embarrassing home squeaker to some crap team, then blows up and utterly dominates some playoff contender (see: New Orleans regular season, 2013). I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'. But since I'm just sayin', this Carolina game, obviously, will be one that Pete is not looking past.

7. Greg Olsen Greg Schmolsen. We can cover tight ends. Our secondary was chaos when tight ends were beating us early in the year, yes, and it wasn't all Kam's fault. Pete put at least one such touchdown on Earl and at least one on Cary, from what I remember. Olsen might get some yards, but I doubt he pulls a Fitz. It's not like anyone else on their receiving squad will demand extra coverage. We devote resources to him and find a way.

8. We've become road warriors. You read that right. We've won six straight on the road. Thanks for that stat, Tech. (Irony: Seattle's home crowd noise has actually been hurting them as much as the opposition lately???!!!)

9. Carolina is weak on special teams. Their DVOA on defending kick returns is bottom ten; on punt returns, bottom five. Booming every kickoff deep has been enough to bury Tyler Lockett all eason. But watch for him to rip off at least one big return if Carolina isn't on point.

10. Our pass rush is nuts. That's exactly what we've been missing in every playoff exit thus far. I already mentioned Wagner, but our front seven can move, they're deep, they're healthy, and most importantly for this game, they can tackle. They're deep, and they're all healthy. Cam will be on his toes.

11. Kam is playing motivated. He was bashed a little unfairly last week, but he's always been key to any Seattle playoff run and he knows it. The Legion always reacts well to criticism.

12. Our run defense is top-notch. They've drawn notice from several analysts for their near-perfect discipline against Adrian Peterson. Cam will have to beat them with his arm. It might happen.

13. Seattle is operating on a different offensive playbook. Harking back to #1, I still maintain that Pete and Bevell darkened half their playbook until the bye. It strains credibility to think that they "just figured it out" at that point, or even that they "swallowed their pride" and implemented a radically different offense. They had it. They were just waiting for a late push to deploy it. It bit them in the ass and left them as the #6 seed, but here we are. Carolina won't be looking at the same simplistic BS they saw the first time.

14. The Panthers enjoyed a cupcake schedule. We did not. I was worried about our defense playing weak teams in November and December, sure. But our win against Arizona comforted me some. I am optimistic that our defense does not turn out to be another 2007-esque poser.

15. Ted Ginn, Jr. is gimpy. That doesn't help Cam or their special teams game.

16. Have you noticed we've cut waaaay back on the offensive penalties? No, of course not. They're only acknowledged when they're present, like so many other things. ;)

17. It's karma after all of Newton's douchy BS. Act like you've been in the end zone before, Cam.

Seattle 30
Carolina 21

el capitan

Reaction score
I'm actually feeling better about this game than I felt going into last week at Minnesota.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Thanks for the write-up Montana! Good stuff!

falcongoggles":1nolqoxl said:
Great post. Thank you! I'm in Korea, the game comes on at 0300. Stay up and watch?!?
Take a nap and get up early.

Vetamur

Reaction score
falcongoggles":29svc48d said:
Great post. Thank you! I'm in Korea, the game comes on at 0300. Stay up and watch?!?

Of course you have to. Just like I do..every week that Im not over there to see.

-----

Good post Montanta.. Im so much more confident the last few days compared to early in the week!

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
falcongoggles":1kuj90g0 said:

Yeah, game starts at 0300 for me as well (JST). It's a struggle, but I might make an exception for the divisional playoff round. If I wimp out, I can use NFL Game Pass to get caught up.

gargantual

Reaction score
Thanks Montana. I almost hate to admit it to myself, but worry is just about making me sick. I know all those things you listed are true and accurate....and more importantly........realistic non-homer observations. Which we can always count on from you. You always tell it like it is, which isn't always easy to hear but a splash of reality is important to maintain perspective.

I just have a feeling that the Pats are going again this year (evil never dies it seems). If we get to the Owl again for a rematch it will really be different. The whole LOB was like the walking wounded last time around but are now are healthy, hungry and have their mojo back!

They can really do this!

kearly

Reaction score
I feel like teams are usually at a disadvantage when the face a good team they beat earlier in the season. It's easy to underestimate a team because you feel like you already beat them. Look at Seattle vs. Minnesota, or Seattle vs. Arizona, or even Arizona vs Green Bay. The team that lost the first game played far more competitively in the rematch.

The only part that scares me about Carolina is that their offense caught fire the same time Seattle's did, and Newton is a QB with the tools to give our D problems, as is Stewart at RB.

That said, there are a lot of indicators here that not only point to a Seahawks win, but quite possibly a statement win.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Carolina has playmakers on both sides of the ball. And the thing that concerns me the most is that they are playing like a TEAM with great chemistry. Always a dangerous combo, as we've seen here in Seattle.

In the end the lack of depth hurts Carolina, cause I think the Hawks have more difference makers across the board.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Great job Montana!

You know what's amazing to me as I look at experts predictions for this game ... is how few mention personnel differences from that first meeting back in Week 6 to now.

For the Seahawks -- No Bobby Wagner ... no Jeremy Lane ... Cary Williams starting opposite Sherman ... and a far shakier Offensive Line with Drew Nowak as starting Center back then. That line was a mess back in Week 6 and has really come together with Patrick Lewis in there.

For the Panthers -- Charles Tillman and Bene Benwikere at CB then ... Cortland Finnegan and Robert McClain now.

Personnel-wise, the Seahawks are MUCH stronger now ... while the Panthers secondary is weaker now.

I'm calling for the Seahawks to pull this one out in a close game ... but like Kearly won't be shocked if the Seahawks end up making a big statement in this one either.