Clock Management, Crunch Time Decision Making

BlueOne

Reaction score
First of all, as a Hawks fan for quite a while now, always sad to lose the last game but a pretty good season. More than that, you have to love this teams heart. Even our best teams of prior eras like the 2005 Seahawks would have quit after that first half and this team clearly came out firing. Not trying to be down on the team.

That said, our clock management and end of half decision making is maybe the worst I have ever seen from this team. Whoever is controlling this needs to be replaced, or if it's Pete he needs to hand that specific job to someone else. Is that 7 or 8 times in the last two PLAYOFF games that the time has run out and we either get a penalty or blow a time out?

And wasted timeouts are the tip of the iceberg. Remember in the Superbowl loss we had a huge time issue and rushed that last play specifically because we'd wasted a timeout for no reason a minute earlier. One of Bevell's reasons for the pass was if it was incomplete we would save clock so we could use all 4 downs. This ignores that the time crunch on that play was created by the Seahawks themselves. Then today at the end of the 2nd half we have about 55 seconds to go from the 50 and do a rush up the gut which blows 30 seconds, and then pass in the middle of the field for 4 yards. This blew our last timeout and left us with no time to try to get into better range for Haush Money.

This has consistently been an issue under this regime and I'm wondering if anyone has a better idea on how to fix it other than having someone new handle it. I focus on this issue because while obviously other issues occurred today, this one is like a pre-snap penalty. All self-made, completely within the Seahawks control, just like the Bennett offsides, it's just something the team HAS to fix at some point. At least Bennett can argue he's trying to get off the ball faster, I have no idea what the heck is happening with our clock decisions.