Our WR core next year could be one of the league's best

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
Our receivers took a massive step forward this year and couldn't be more excited for this aspect of our team for next year.

Lockett is just an absolute stud, his catch was big, big time. He's such a playmaker, he is going to excel and be at Antonio Brown-level in the next few years if he stays healthy, and I can't wait for him to be a bigger part of the offense.

Baldwin, career year, ended the year 2nd in DYAR for receivers and 1st in DVOA. He will be back with more fire next year.

Really hope we keep Kearse, he's the perfect valve for Wilson and the guy who just comes up big when we need him.

If Richardson can ever get healthy, as a 4th receiver we could still hold out hope for, but liked what I saw from Smith today.

Amazing that a year ago we were unsure about the future of the receiving core, who we would draft to be the savior, and now it looks to be one of the best in the NFL.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Yeah it's crazy. Lots of people were saying most team wouldn't even want Doug or Kearse as their #2 WR and now look at what we have. It's sad we were damaged so heavily by injuries this year but that's an anomaly. You won't lose your best two TEs, best two RBs and #4 and #5 WRs again next season.

If we were completely healthy I think we could have gone all the way quite easily. So let's just hope we don't lose too many key players in FA and stay healthy next year. I just feel that second SB within our grasp.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Jimmy Graham too. He'll line up as in the slot or te -- either way he opens up the field. Wilson will get it dialed in with these new guys, the offensive line will get better, and we're gonna have a monster offense next season. We just need to take care of business in the reg season and not have to do three away games in a row to get to the big bowl.

GO HAWKS!

CdaHawk

Reaction score
Was talked about in another thread...we'd be nuts to let Kearse go. Wilson is set with Doug Baldwin, Jermaine Kearse and Tyler Lockett as the Big 3 at WR and a healthy Paul Richardson would be a nice bonus. Wilson was just starting to really click with Graham also before he got hurt. If a healthy Rawls can catch out of the backfield also, we're set for passing.

Just need an offensive line.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":2v4upuu0 said:
Jimmy Graham too. He'll line up as in the slot or te -- either way he opens up the field. Wilson will get it dialed in with these new guys, the offensive line will get better, and we're gonna have a monster offense next season. We just need to take care of business in the reg season and not have to do three away games in a row to get to the big bowl.

GO HAWKS!

Depends if Graham can come back from his injury 100%. Players with that injury in the past have never been the same. I'm hoping Graham will do it, but to assume or expect that he'll be the same dominant player when he returns isn't really a fair expectation.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
hieroglyphics":3ckm92m2 said:
Our receivers took a massive step forward this year and couldn't be more excited for this aspect of our team for next year.

Lockett is just an absolute stud, his catch was big, big time. He's such a playmaker, he is going to excel and be at Antonio Brown-level in the next few years if he stays healthy, and I can't wait for him to be a bigger part of the offense.

Baldwin, career year, ended the year 2nd in DYAR for receivers and 1st in DVOA. He will be back with more fire next year.

Really hope we keep Kearse, he's the perfect valve for Wilson and the guy who just comes up big when we need him.

If Richardson can ever get healthy, as a 4th receiver we could still hold out hope for, but liked what I saw from Smith today.

Amazing that a year ago we were unsure about the future of the receiving core, who we would draft to be the savior, and now it looks to be one of the best in the NFL.
All Paul Richardson is good for is a go route. Anything else is a no. I like Ricardo more than Paul Richardson.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I still need to see it for a full season. Up until the last quarter of the season, the talk was that we had a bottom 5 receiving core. I don't want to overreact to a small sample.

Baldwin sure does look like he's taken his game to the next level.

Jury is still out on Kearse. He played awesome today and last week, but lets not forget that we threw the ball on almost every play of the second half against fairly soft coverage.

I will not be depending on Richardson

Lockette is a young stud, lets see how he does in his sophomore campaign.

I wouldn't go as far as saying one of the league's best because at the end of the day, we are still going to be a run-first offense. But if we can have a middle of the pack receiving core, I'm good with that.

thebanjodude

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":1khwdet3 said:
hieroglyphics":1khwdet3 said:

All Paul Richardson is good for is a go route. Anything else is a no. I like Ricardo more than Paul Richardson.

That is not true at all. It was a common opinion at the end of the 2014 season that Paul was our best receiver.

kearly

Reaction score
Counting the playoffs, Kearse's line in 18 games: 63 catches, 813 yards, 7 TDs.

That's pretty remarkable for a #3 WR on an offense that was sleepwalking through the first 9 games. Kearse also seemed to cut down on his drops this season. It kind of feels like he's morphing into Seattle's version of James Jones. I won't be totally shocked if he gets a decent contract this offseason. It will be an interesting decision for the FO.

kearly

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3geou6xx said:
Jury is still out on Kearse. He played awesome today and last week, but lets not forget that we threw the ball on almost every play of the second half against fairly soft coverage.

To be fair, Carolina played a lot of man coverage today even with a big lead, and Seattle's WRs definitely filled a highlight reel with several circus catches to beat good coverage for big plays and TDs.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
thebanjodude":28zwc9x3 said:
TheLegendOfBoom":28zwc9x3 said:
hieroglyphics":28zwc9x3 said:

That is not true at all. It was a common opinion at the end of the 2014 season that Paul was our best receiver.
It was?

kf3339

Reaction score
kearly":diz6tjfn said:
Counting the playoffs, Kearse's line in 18 games: 63 catches, 813 yards, 7 TDs.

That's pretty remarkable for a #3 WR on an offense that was sleepwalking through the first 9 games. Kearse also seemed to cut down on his drops this season. It kind of feels like he's morphing into Seattle's version of James Jones. I won't be totally shocked if he gets a decent contract this offseason. It will be an interesting decision for the FO.

I personally don't see him leaving since he has such a good relationship with RW. There is trust between those two. I'm sure PC and the front office know this as well. His contract will be a fair deal for both sides IMO.

sutz

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2s51lpk5 said:
thebanjodude":2s51lpk5 said:
TheLegendOfBoom":2s51lpk5 said:

It was?
I don't remember a lot of people saying PR was our "best" WR at the time. I do remember a lot of discussion that he looked like an up and comer that "could" be one of our best. I'm still hopeful he can return and continue the growth he showed at the end of last season.

He was still learning the route tree IIRC, but was showing promise. Not as polished as No-E has been as a rookie, but a lot lf "there" there.

Bob_the_Destroyer

Reaction score
A lot of knowledgeable people thought Richardson was emerging as the best receiver on the Hawks at the end of last season.

I appreciate Jermaine Kearse as much as anyone, but with three tiny receivers like Baldwin, Lockett and Richarson, might it be better to apply what we would pay Kearse ($4-5 million/year) to a free-agent big-receiver and see if we could go out and get an Alshon Jeffries, (6'3") for $8-9 million/year?

Can you imagine Jeffries, Baldwin, Lockett, Richardson, Graham and Willson -- and an ever-improving Russell Wilson?

A factor as important as the improving receiving corp is that Russell Wilson improved tremendously this past year. He was hopeless at the quick timing plays at the beginning of the season and had a lot of trouble melding with Jimmy Graham. Finally, by mid-season, he was decent and continually improved. Doug Baldwin had also improved dramatically by mid-season. Timing is something that must be practiced a near infinite number of times. With a lot of off-season practice, they should be much better at them by the beginning of next season. (Note: the Hawks still suck at the "pick" plays. They really don't run them, especially after what happened at the end of Super Bowl 49.)

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
thebanjodude":3pdiz9ay said:
TheLegendOfBoom":3pdiz9ay said:
hieroglyphics":3pdiz9ay said:

You've got to be kidding, me.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Bob_the_Destroyer":37gnm3ap said:
A lot of knowledgeable people thought Richardson was emerging as the best receiver on the Hawks at the end of last season.

I appreciate Jermaine Kearse as much as anyone, but with three tiny receivers like Baldwin, Lockett and Richarson, might it be better to apply what we would pay Kearse ($4-5 million/year) to a free-agent big-receiver and see if we could go out and get an Alshon Jeffries, (6'3") for $8-9 million/year?

Can you imagine Jeffries, Baldwin, Lockett, Richardson, Graham and Willson -- and an ever-improving Russell Wilson?

A factor as important as the improving receiving corp is that Russell Wilson improved tremendously this past year. He was hopeless at the quick timing plays at the beginning of the season and had a lot of trouble melding with Jimmy Graham. Finally, by mid-season, he was decent and continually improved. Doug Baldwin had also improved dramatically by mid-season. Timing is something that must be practiced a near infinite number of times. With a lot of off-season practice, they should be much better at them by the beginning of next season. (Note: the Hawks still suck at the "pick" plays. They really don't run them, especially after what happened at the end of Super Bowl 49.)
Baldwin has always been the best receiver since Tate left.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I don't think WR is a need, honestly.

The Seahawks didn't lose today because the receivers didn't play well. Out of the entire position groups, they played the best, IMO.

Outside of KJ Wright, the rest of the backers were nowhere to be found.

KJ Wright was our best linebacker this year and it's not even close. Wagner clearly did not play to his contract this year yet still garnered more notoriety than KJ.

Bob_the_Destroyer

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":2w4dxtaq said:
Baldwin has always been the best receiver since Tate left.

That's true. The statement said Richardson was "emerging" as the best receiver. Of course with Baldwin's improvement this season and Richardson's injuries, Baldwin has put quite a bit of space between him and Richardson again.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
thebanjodude":lqe3s7hw said:
A common .NET opinion?

2_0_6

Reaction score
Im not counting on Paul being active for more than 5 games next year. Too much of an injury risk, especially for a speed guy with two ACL/MCL tears in the same knee. Id l REALLY ike to keep Kearse, but if he bolts someone like Mohamed Sanu could be a good fit.