Coaching-belichick vs Carroll

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Not a stupid troll post, I swear.

It has been brought up in a couple other posts and thought it was worthy of discussion on a few points.

Carroll tends to stick with his core coaching values, regardless of his players. Belichick with change his strategy and scheme based on his roster. Both coaches have had tremendous success.

Do you think Pete would benefit by bending some of his core values if a players strengths dictated it? How about changing strategies regardless of the players, but instead because it seems to not be working as well. Cover 3 defense comes to mind. I'm not saying to abandon it, but tweak it situationally or matchup wise. We historically get destroyed by tight ends and dink and dunk passing.

Both coaches field competitive teams, and have winning histories. Some of the things they do are similar, while others are very different, like petes very loose attitude about letting players be themselves, vs Belichicks very regimented "do your job" approach.

Two questions:

1.)Do you think he should change some of his core coaching values in the future as the league is changing?

2.)Will he?

I think he should, but I don't think he will.

We are a good team, but isn't the goal to be the BEST team?

getnasty

Reaction score
Best run in our history but yeah I say we change everything.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Belicheat has possibly the greatest QB to ever play the game. Pete has an excellent QB that is still learning and has a chance at greatness but is in no way Tom Brady. Belicheat sucked until Brady came along. Pete was 7-9 two years in a row til Russ came along. Not coincidences.

blkhwk

Reaction score
getnasty":2urf126j said:
Best run in our history but yeah I say we change everything.

Don't think the OP said change everything, I read it as more of a minor tweak of some concepts.

I have also thought about this. Having been a coach for 25 yrs, I understand the importance of having core program concepts/philosophies. I too, have a way I would love to see the game played, but I also like to win. Many times you have to run offenses or defenses you don't entirely like but they fit your current personnel.

OP
OP
johnnyfever

johnnyfever

Reaction score
The biggest change I see we need, is addressing coverage on short passes. I realize the mantra of stopping explosive plays by making sure the receiver is not behind you is a good one, but teams cut us up bad on the dink and dunks.

As I said in my first post, this would not be a blanket change but a situational one.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
We could always cheat more so we are more in line with the Pats and Bilichick. No respect and no desire to map anything to do with our team after them.

chris98251

Reaction score
More consistent play calling, the Jekyll / Hyde Bevell needs to be fixed. Up tempo start in the second half and we score twice, then abandon it again and struggle. Those types of things drive me nuts, if your have a team on their heals why let them catch their breath.

OP
OP
johnnyfever

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":13wqj8hg said:
We could always cheat more so we are more in line with the Pats and Bilichick. No respect and no desire to map anything to do with our team after them.

If you don't realize Belichick is one of the greatest coaches in the game you are ignorant. The methods he employs and his creativity are something to be studied. There are 3 teams a I absolutely despise. patriots, cowboys, niners. Partially because of their fan base, and partially because of their arrogance, cheating or ownership.

Each of the teams I despise have things that they do from a coaching perspective that are sound and could be learned from. You need innovation to keep competitive. how many of you still carry around an old brick cell phone, or watch the games on a tube tv. signal still comes through the same cable from the cable company, it is still on a color screen, can still record it and watch it later, but innovations have made the picture sharper, the tv slimmer and more efficient, and you record on a hard drive instead of tape.

Evolve or die.

Look at what is working, why it is working, and put your spin on it to fit it into your team.

I would not trade Belichick for Carroll EVER, but I can appreciate his coaching techniques and still not like him or his team.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Evolve or die...

I think that's a fair perception of perhaps this staffs biggest weakness.

OP
OP
johnnyfever

johnnyfever

Reaction score
chris98251":3tuee9m8 said:
More consistent play calling, the Jekyll / Hyde Bevell needs to be fixed. Up tempo start in the second half and we score twice, then abandon it again and struggle. Those types of things drive me nuts, if your have a team on their heals why let them catch their breath.

This drives me insane. It is as though they can't even learn from their own teams experiences and tape study. I guarantee you if I was employed by the seahawks full time to study tape, I would take the teams that are the top of the stat columns in every category and find out why they had success. If it is due to a special player, not much you can do, but if there is something being done strategically, then pay attention.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":wj018ls0 said:
Belicheat has possibly the greatest QB to ever play the game. Pete has an excellent QB that is still learning and has a chance at greatness but is in no way Tom Brady. Belicheat sucked until Brady came along. Pete was 7-9 two years in a row til Russ came along. Not coincidences.

That along with playing in a division with literally zero competent QBs the WHOLE time Brady has been there. Seriously...what is the best QB outside Brady that division has had since 2000? Chad Pennington? What a #%#% joke. And I would argue the AFC being an overall weaker conference. Going to 10 AFCCG proves this IMO

OP
OP
johnnyfever

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Brady is a huge reason for the success, but as the broncos learned in 48, defense wins championships, even against the best offense ever. Patriots beat us last year off coaching and scheme preparedness. They practiced against the last play we called. Brady did not do that, coaches and staff did.

NJlargent

Reaction score
Belicheat's players come ready to play. He does his job well.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":20spp13a said:
hawksfansinceday1":20spp13a said:

That along with playing in a division with literally zero competent QBs the WHOLE time Brady has been there. Seriously...what is the best QB outside Brady that division has had since 2000? Chad Pennington? What a #%#% joke. And I would argue the AFC being an overall weaker conference. Going to 10 AFCCG proves this IMO
Good point

johnnyfever":20spp13a said:
Brady is a huge reason for the success, but as the broncos learned in 48, defense wins championships, even against the best offense ever. Patriots beat us last year off coaching and scheme preparedness. They practiced against the last play we called. Brady did not do that, coaches and staff did.
Also a good point, but if Brady doesn't bring them back from down 24-14 to a lead against the Hawks' very good D, that play never happens cuz Seattle coasts to a win.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":173v42rm said:
WilsonMVP":173v42rm said:
hawksfansinceday1":173v42rm said:

Good point

johnnyfever":173v42rm said:
Also a good point, but if Brady doesn't bring them back from down 24-14 to a lead against the Hawks' very good D, that play never happens cuz Seattle coasts to a win.

'Very-good D' without Lane, Maxwell, Avril; Earl playing with bad shoulder, Kam playing on torn MCL, and Sherm playing with bad elbow? Sorry, but Brady didn't have to work too awfully hard for that.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
johnnyfever":pjj83ewf said:
Preparedness and detail is probably the greatest trait of a winning coach. It is amazing the extent to which Belicheck and his coaches had his team prepared for games and potential plays in pressure situations.

chris98251

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":jji31mfr said:
johnnyfever":jji31mfr said:
Preparedness and detail is probably the greatest trait of a winning coach. It is amazing the extent to which Belicheck and his coaches had his team prepared for games and potential plays in pressure situations.

Knowing the oppositions playbooks help, he signs a lot of opposing teams players right before games, you know he picks their brains about that stuff based on his other grey areas of preparation. It was a unwritten rule of sportsmanship years ago, but based on the sportsmanship these days of teams and coaches I am sure cross that line plenty.