Spread offense

RussB

Reaction score
This team seemed unstoppable with rawls and the spread offense. The recievers really shined and wilson also showed what he can do. Along with rawls as a dual threat that can run through defenses and also catch out of the backfield.

The coaching staff better ditch the whole playaction run first scheme they had in todays first half and at the beginning of the season. Do you think they recognize this? Really hope they go back to it next season and i think we can be the #1 seed again.

P.S some offensive linemen would be great.

blkhwk

Reaction score
Spread also allows you to "hide" a weak offensive line to a degree...... see the Patriots.

Easier to find decent OL in the draft due to the high use of spread offense in college.

Crizilla

Reaction score
agreed. Rawls' speed and ability to catch the ball was huge for us. Lynch hogs down our "new" offense. This season was really experimental in a way. I think the coaches know how to approach next season. Assuming Rawls is healthy we should be in the hunt for the 1 or 2 seed. I'd like to see Clark get more snaps, too.

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
blkhwk":3c4wgo5p said:
Spread also allows you to "hide" a weak offensive line to a degree...... see the Patriots.

Easier to find decent OL in the draft due to the high use of spread offense in college.
Exactly, i just really hope they go back to it next season. The WR group is very talented and this is a pass first team now.

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
Crizilla":1md9u8vw said:
agreed. Rawls' speed and ability to catch the ball was huge for us. Lynch hogs down our "new" offense. This season was really experimental in a way. I think the coaches know how to approach next season. Assuming Rawls is healthy we should be in the hunt for the 1 or 2 seed. I'd like to see Clark get more snaps, too.
Yeah as much as i like marshawn he just didnt fit the new scheme and the team went on a run without him. It really seems like they moved on from him and its wilson's team now. Not trying to hate on marshawn in anyway , even today he seemed like he didnt fit in.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
RussB":2izw0kk7 said:
Crizilla":2izw0kk7 said:
Yeah as much as i like marshawn he just didnt fit the new scheme and the team went on a run without him. It really seems like they moved on from him and its wilson's team now. Not trying to hate on marshawn in anyway , even today he seemed like he didnt fit in.
They played crappy teams at the end of the season.

There will be no way to know for sure if that is our team or not till next year.

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1zjnnv8z said:
RussB":1zjnnv8z said:
Crizilla":1zjnnv8z said:

There will be no way to know for sure if that is our team or not till next year.
To be fair we did beat the steelers in a shootout. Hard to do. Also beat the vikings and cardinals.

Anthony!

Reaction score
RussB":3afwpl2w said:
Tech Worlds":3afwpl2w said:
RussB":3afwpl2w said:
Crizilla":3afwpl2w said:

To be fair we did beat the steelers in a shootout. Hard to do. Also beat the vikings and cardinals.

We also almost cam back today once we went spread in the 2nd half.

mikeak

Reaction score
They didn't see it after a bad start and a fantastic finish to the season. They didn't see it after what should have been a loss to Minnesota.

So no I don't expect them to see it

Tical21

Reaction score
Geez, I really despise the spread offense though. I'd rather line up and play football like men.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Tical21":1fj2owej said:
Geez, I really despise the spread offense though. I'd rather line up and play football like men.
Yeah, well that was what they tried at first.

lobohawk

Reaction score
They can still be a power running team. The key is that if they run into a matchup issue (Rams, Panthers), they can quickly shift to spread. Then it's just being flexible enough to go to it at the right time. The personnel fit well with either.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
The most frustrating aspect of yesterday's game was how long it took us to go to the spread. It was like the staff thought that with Lynch back, it was time to pretend our line was ready to carry the day.

It was plain and obvious all week that Carolina's pass rush is at it's very best, and most disguised, when the tight end right off the tackle, a fullback is in the backfield, and any other combination of extra blockers.

Spreading them out actually did eliminate most of the disguised pass rushing.

rideaducati

Reaction score
The spread helps the offense by forcing the defense to declare their intentions prior to the snap. With Russell knowing what is coming, he is nearly unstoppable. When teams can disguise coverages and rushes, the offensive line doesn't do as well.

I hope to see more use of the spread offense earlier in games next season to get leads in games and then pound teams into submission later in the games.

The spread offense is now just ANOTHER weapon in Russell's ever growing arsenal.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
I'm not knocking the O-line, but if their aim is to be a power running team... seems like they may not have the right personnel for the scheme.

Whatever they do, they certainly need to work to improve line play regardless of whether they stick with the current offensive scheme emphasis or fully recognize how special Russell Wilson is and truly make him the focal point.

The line imploded early in the game against one of the best D-lines in the league. Beastmode had no chance to get going. The field conditions didn't help. Marshawn is the better back, but Rawls looked better in this year's offense and line due to his running style (he runs very low, one cut and go.) If Marshawn wants to stick around and be part of this thing (I hope he does), I think this team can make it work. Either way, I think the offense is going to be fine.

There's sort of a dilemma. Even though the team played much of the season without his services, the cupboard will feel suddenly bare if Beastmode is no longer with the team. Man, it's hard to go here... and the loyal Seahawks fan risks sounding like they betray Beastmode to concede that it might be time for the team to move on with Rawls, Michael / Brown and/or possibly another addition. Not saying "they're better off" or suggesting in any way that we don't love Marshawn. But, the offense has a bit of an identity crisis in that the different approaches seem to more get in the way of the other rather than compliment the other.

It's not Marshawn's fault and he's NOT a problem. And to be fair, when you're injured you're just not right. Maybe Marshawn has another go-round left in him. (That would be beautiful. Definitely don't want to see him go elsewhere and kill us. I think he'd look to maybe sign with Oakland if not with Seattle next year.) But, we saw it this year... especially with this line. Rawls looks like the perfect back for what looks perhaps like the new identity moving forward.

I feel like I'm about to receive a cyber-spanking from Tech Worlds. ;) Lol

Marshawn and rawls

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2f8u9x30 said:
The most frustrating aspect of yesterday's game was how long it took us to go to the spread. It was like the staff thought that with Lynch back, it was time to pretend our line was ready to carry the day.

It was plain and obvious all week that Carolina's pass rush is at it's very best, and most disguised, when the tight end right off the tackle, a fullback is in the backfield, and any other combination of extra blockers.

yup, they tried to force it to lynch and it backfired. Second half was great though.

Anthony!

Reaction score
lobohawk":3m9lylz4 said:
They can still be a power running team. The key is that if they run into a matchup issue (Rams, Panthers), they can quickly shift to spread. Then it's just being flexible enough to go to it at the right time. The personnel fit well with either.

maybe but if true they waited to long to do it

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1iveorq6 said:

This. I'm beginning to really believe it's way more on Pete than Bevell to approach games this way. He was stubborn about his long time approach to offense yet again yesterday and it blew up in his face. I think there is hope that we'll mostly spread next year based on Rawls being the likely RB, not Beast. He's not a power guy like Lynch but rather a find the crease type.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
The spread also gets the te isolated on a db---we could punish defenses with Graham.