Is Lane the answer at RCB?

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
Please delete if this has already been addressed in other threads.

I'm curious if we are comfortable with Lane starting opposite of Sherman in our base Cover 3? Cary got time there, he's gone. Shead got time there. Lane was starting there to end the year.

It seems like Pete likes Lane there, but I always felt he was a better slot cover guy.

Where do we go with this spot next year? Can Simon play there? Are we bringing along Tye Smith fast enough? Who is the next LOB guy? Do we go to the draft?

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Don't forget we traded for Mohammed Sesay as well. A number of possibilities there.

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
He can hold his own at that position but Seahawks need more CB depth. They should pull the trigger if they can find an elite CB prospect dropping to #26 because of off-field concerns. Someone like Marcus Peters..

gmor

Reaction score
The thing with FA's is whether or not they are going to meet our price point. Lane is a valuable player for us and can hold down the RCB spot. Hope he is reasonable.

sutz

Reaction score
First off, I think Lane is serviceable, at least at RCB. Some have commented that he's better in the slot, idk.

I do know that Pete is an old DB coach and prides himself on DB play, so I expect he'll be having Schneid scour the wires to find the next DB to add to the mix. We draft DBs pretty much every draft so far. I expect more of the same. Hell, in a lot of ways we built our D backwards per normal NFL standards. Generally people say build the line and work backwards. In many ways, Pete emphasized the backfield first with ET, Sherm, Kam, and Browner, and then focused on LB and DL.

Lane was doing fairly well until he was knocked out in SB48, and I think has done well enough since his return moving forward. But, new season coming up and there will be changes. I hope Lane stays healthy and keeps improving.

Erebus

Reaction score
rideaducati":2ysqmo4t said:
Tharold Simon is the answer, but health is the question.

If Tharold Simon is the answer to a health question, the question must be "Who is most likely to get hurt next season?"

Optimus25

Reaction score
Wish he wasn't ufa so this wasn't such a difficult decision.

Better than Williams, so is he going to try grab as much cash as we paid that moron?

I just feel like he's going the way of thurmond and blackmon. Solid nickel to almost starter for us, definite starter elsewhere. More money elsewhere then by default.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Is Walther Thurmond a free agent ? I'd sign him or try to trade for him with new coach etc there.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Optimus25":2jpicjqu said:

Better than Williams, so is he going to try grab as much cash as we paid that moron?

I just feel like he's going the way of thurmond and blackmon. Solid nickel to almost starter for us, definite starter elsewhere. More money elsewhere then by default.

He is going to want to get paid. Hopefully he will meet us in the middle. I like him at corner, but he is replaceable if he wants the moon.

rideaducati

Reaction score
johnnyfever":2hpi4jq6 said:
Optimus25":2hpi4jq6 said:

He is going to want to get paid. Hopefully he will meet us in the middle. I like him at corner, but he is replaceable if he wants the moon.

Well, if he consults with all the other LOB members that have left, he might stay for a little less NOW and make it up by playing well for an extended time before leaving with his next contract.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
I hope not. He can only play a few games at a time. He's just too unreliable. Plus, I see him more as a #3/#4 corner. But I'm not the coach. Give me Shead > Simon every day. I don't know why, but I'm really intrigued by Tye Smith. I really want to see how he performs this off-season. I'm pretty high on him. If like to see the RCB position come down to Smith, Shead, or a stud rookie (if Pete and John don't use picks 1 and 2 on the O line, I think CB is the next position to target early.)

Wartooth

Reaction score
A couple of big mauling Defensive Tackles, that can collapse a pocket, would help all of our DB's out!
Lanes alright, but I wouldn't give him a Cary Williams contract.

raisethe3

Reaction score
As I mentioned before, I like him as a slot corner. He has excelled in that position very well. He isn't the type of guys that is very physical (aka, Sherman, Browner & Maxwell). This is why I am leery of keeping him at RCB.

Someone mentioned Mohammed Sesay, so I like to see him tried at that spot. There are endless possibilities, but I guess that position will be up for grabs through training camp and preseason football. I'd like to see other guys tried for the spot before making the decision.

crosfam

Reaction score
I really liked what we got from Shead this season. Like to see us keep him if we can. Dude can play CB, FS, or SS decently and is great on special teams. Lane can play the slot or the outside, love to keep both.

I see a draft pick or two for the LOB, but probably not on day one. Love to see Simon healthy. Probable starter outside if so.

Zorn76

Reaction score
Lane is ok, but Simon isn't legit.

We need open competition there next year.

I think Pete isn't sold on either, and that he'll be looking hard for somebody to better compliment RS.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
I don't know if Lane is the answer but he was the best of what we had, I would like to see if we could upgrade but I could live with Lane there. Shead unless he gets coached up worries me at corner, he plays off way too much, and he seems to be carried for yardage on tackles. He doesn't seem to stop plays so much as much as make sure he doesn't get burnt for a huge loss.

chris98251

Reaction score
Seisay, Mohammed CB 6-2 202 25 2 Nebraska is a guy I would watch, was injured and we still signed him.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Do our corners actually play press coverage anymore or do they just sit back and give cushion? Seams to me we just aren't physical outside on the edges anymore.

Davidess

Reaction score
johnnyfever":205kgsrk said:
Optimus25":205kgsrk said:

He will get paid but it wont break the bank as he has more than half the season.
The hawks will sign him to a 1yr prove it deal and if healthy throughout he season. that is when he will get paid. Possibly another comp pick for us in 2018.