Irvin will give Seahawks a hometown discount.

Greenhell

Reaction score
He knows how well he's got it in Seattle. A constant contender for future championships the next 5 years.IMO, He'd be dumb to take a money grab and play for a lesser team.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah means nothing but it will be interesting to see if he means what he says. My money is on Irvin taking a one way trip to Atlanta soon.

OP
OP
CodeWarrior

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3fzfe4w1 said:
I've heard this before.

Indeed. That $3M figure is all but meaningless, as its based on what Bruce approximates his worth to be. I can all but guarantee he values himself higher than the Seahawks FO values him. That's not a dig at Irvin, I'd expect that attitude from every player.

Largent80

Reaction score
Atlanta sucked. Why would Irvin want to go to a suck ass team?...Hometown?....If you are a player the desire to WIN takes front and center stage.

kearly

Reaction score
A hometown discount just means that if Seattle's offer is close, they'll get it done. Seattle was not close in their offer to Tate, which is why he left.

It wouldn't shock me if Seattle competed for Irvin. He's going to be a difficult player to replace.

Mick063

Reaction score
He means well but his agent will not stand for it.

Nothing worse on your agent's resume than "home town discount."

I don't see it happening. Even if it did, you get the Kam Chancellor scenario a couple years later.

I think it is time for him to get paid elsewhere. He is not a core player.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
I think Irvin, or likely his agent, is smart enough to try to frame a monetarily uncompetitive offer from Seattle as still providing leverage for him in negotiations.

Or maybe he's serious about 3 mil over the life of the deal, but over a four or five year deal we're talking 600-700k a year, which will instantly become "pay less but guarantee more" when his agent gets his hands on it, and likely won't matter anyway.

Not bagging on Irvin or wishing him off the Hawks or anything, but there's a reason why for all the talk of hometown discounts that they almost never actually materialize.

djb28

Reaction score
He stopped talking about the time Atlanta started sucking. So whatever.

Jeremy517

Reaction score
If Bruce's idea of a discounted value is greater than Schneider's idea of fair market value (like Tate's was), then he still won't be back.

sutz

Reaction score
Well, it sounds good, and he does a lot for us. It would be nice to not have to break in a new starting LB this year, and just work on bringing our depth along. I'm on the "keep him if we can" bandwagon.

But yeah, this is all talk so far. We'll see when the real negotiations begin. No telling what happens when real dollar figures start being shared. Normally, the team is pretty good at keeping these kinds of dealings under wraps until the ink is on the contract, so we're looking a a few weeks/months of behind the scenes work.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Sandman7773/status/689239765061861377[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/corryjoel/status/689236452060704769[/tweet]

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I doubt it as well...Irvin will be 30 soon. This is his contract to cash in big. I say someone throws him a big pay day based on the defence he has played in the last few years. Atlanta needs help, makes sense for him to go there for big coin.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
Greenhell":10jebyww said:
He knows how well he's got it in Seattle. A constant contender for future championships the next 5 years.IMO, He'd be dumb to take a money grab and play for a lesser team.
I honestly don't think that is dumb. Look at Tate. Doubled his money, almost, and we'll deserved.

Irvin ri take a 3 million a year discount with the possibility your team gets into the playoffs is silly, and just bad business. There are zero guarantees the team makes the playoffs again. You take the money..every....single...time. the only caveat is your offers are not much more and you'd have to go to Cleveland... :)

MrThortan

Reaction score
He should have never said this. There's a storm a comin' :242735:

BullHawk33

Reaction score
He said this so he isn't looked at as the bad guy when he goes elsewhere. Fact of the matter is, had he been a bit better in year 2 and 3 he would have been given another year most likely. His option was 7.751 million, which is quite a bit of coin for someone who wasn't really performing. He had a pretty darn good year this year though.

I hope he is happy in Jacksonville or Atlanta and I wish him the best, as long as his best isn't against us.