Being competitive

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Pete just sayed in an article on seahawks.com that he wants us to remain competitive at every position. He also sayed he really likes our current group but that some changes have to be made. He stated that some positions need some extra help. I'm thinking we will see a draft and FA that will focus on retaining our core but most of all strengthening our weakpoints (OL, DT, CB, OLB).

There were also some comments from Irvin, Kearse and Okung. Irvin and Kearse sound like they really want to stay here if possible. Okung was more like a let's see what happens statement.

The biggest question that arose for me was if this will be a rather quite offseason for us. I feel like the FO will want to look at depth and not as much at big, expensive FA signings. In my opinion that'd be a good thing. Your thought?

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Overseasfan":17727qef said:
Pete just sayed in an article on seahawks.com that he wants us to remain competitive at every position. He also sayed he really likes our current group but that some changes have to be made. He stated that some positions need some extra help. I'm thinking we will see a draft and FA that will focus on retaining our core but most of all strengthening our weakpoints (OL, DT, CB, OLB).

There were also some comments from Irvin, Kearse and Okung. Irvin and Kearse sound like they really want to stay here if possible. Okung was more like a let's see what happens statement.

The biggest question that arose for me was if this will be a rather quite offseason for us. I feel like the FO will want to look at depth and not as much at big, expensive FA signings. In my opinion that'd be a good thing. Your thought?

I came away feeling that OL will be looked at more closely than any other group. Pete talked about how they 'really need to nail it (draft/FA)" with the OL. Also indicated the competition will be hot-n-heavy among OL players.

Davidess

Reaction score
I think they will look to sign their own.

I can see them going after OUR "bigger" FAs like Kearse, Irvin, and Sweezy. I think Okung will be interesting as ive said numerous times on here. he just injured his shoulder and IS injury prone. I don't know what team would sign him for a big contract but also being that he is 28 I cant see a 1yr prove it deal (which would be nice for him if he were younger)

I stated before that if Okung is not signed I could see the hawks going in with the depth chart looking like so for the Offense

LT-Gilliam/ Rookie
LG-Glowinski/Britt
C- Lewis/Jeanpierre/Sokoli
RG-Sweezy/Vet/Rookie
RT-Rookie/Vet/Rookie

They really like Sokoli as he was on the 53 for the whole season but I don't think ever active. fear of him being snatched up on the PS I assume

WR: Baldwin,Lockette,Rookie/Kearse, Richardson (if healthy)

TE Graham, Willson, Helfet/Rookie

RB Rawls, Rookie, Brown

QB RW, Rookie/Vet

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Carroll seemed to lump Okung and Sweezy together as a wait and see situation. Retooling the OL is clearly one of the priorities of the off-season.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
hawknation2015":rpjbswgr said:
Carroll seemed to lump Okung and Sweezy together as a wait and see situation. Retooling the OL is clearly one of the priorities of the off-season.

I'm liking Bailey at LT much more than others are. He's played much better as of late.

Davidess

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":20898uj2 said:
hawknation2015":20898uj2 said:

I'm liking Bailey at LT much more that others are. He's played much better as of late.

Don't know if I Like Bailey at LT tbh. guess it depends on how much he demands but I would let him walk. Hes slow on the outside and was mainly matched up with the ageing Jared Allen. I would like to see Britt as a Bailey replacement. take him out of the starting spot and make him the 6 Oline.

I would wonder how Gilliam would do at LT. being a more athletic/quicker option there.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":36yfet87 said:
hawknation2015":36yfet87 said:

I'm liking Bailey at LT much more that others are. He's played much better as of late.

Bailey has gotten Russell killed quite a lot this season and continues to struggle as a run blocker. I would hate the idea of counting of him as a starter at any position. In fact, I would actually be relieved if he wasn't re-signed, at all, because I think it would signal that the team is dedicated to improving the status quo along the offensive line.

That's the biggest problem with paying Okung $10+ million a year; you still need a competent backup who is good enough to take over as a starter whenever Okung gets banged up.