Seahawks 2016 Draft - 1st pick will be?

Bullmeister

Reaction score
I'm no expert or psychic but I'm going with:

OT Taylor Decker (Ohio State)
6-foot-8, 315 pounds

Perfect LT I think

PS: This thread is not about who you think they should/would be best to draft, but who they actually will draft as a number 1.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
That would be great, but what are the chance he falls to #26? It's always costly to move up in the First Round. He had a great year, was an All American, and is just about as high profile as it gets.

He reminds me a lot of Alex Boone, actually. Really solid lineman . . . won't be surprised if he goes in the Top 10. Look at the way Taylor Lewan rose up the draft boards. Decker looks a lot more fundamentally sound than Lewan did.

[youtube]SIaI9VJ9SVY[/youtube]

ludakrishna

Reaction score
Bullmeister":2znhnx13 said:
I'm no expert or psychic but I'm going with:

OT Taylor Decker (Ohio State)
6-foot-8, 315 pounds

Perfect LT I think

PS: This thread is not about who you think they should/would be best to draft, but who they actually will draft as a number 1.

Did he wrestle or have any DLINE experience? Otherwise I don't see him fitting the Cable mold.

2_0_6

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3t5wk3k2 said:
Hawk_Nation":3t5wk3k2 said:
Spencer Drango - OT Baylor

BEAST

He had the highest pass blocking efficiency in the country in 2015, according to PFF's stats, allowing only three quarterback hurries all season.

With the ability to play every Oline position aside from Center. Lots of mock drafts have him falling to us.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":169uk91i said:
hawknation2015":169uk91i said:
Hawk_Nation":169uk91i said:

BEAST

He had the highest pass blocking efficiency in the country in 2015, according to PFF's stats, allowing only three quarterback hurries all season.

With the ability to play every Oline position aside from Center. Lots of mock drafts have him falling to us.

Why does every draftnik seem to consider him a guard in the NFL, not a tackle?

For example . . .

Drango might have played tackle in the past, and he might play tackle this season, but I would be absolutely shocked if he doesn't bump inside thanks to a build and game that screams guard play. Drango plays with some lower-body stiffness, which could eliminate him from tackle consideration, but he uses his hands in pass pro like the veteran tackle he is. Some scouts are already worried about the offensive line misses to come out of Baylor recently, but Drango's mauling, physical style and ability to win as a run blocker must be judged on its own merit.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ch-in-2015

[youtube]OC39tMkw3mE[/youtube]

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Alright let's say we stay at #26. The primary needs are OT and DT. CB and OLB are probably the positions we'd draft if no still available DTs and OTs are valued as 1st round talent.

As of right now it's hard to predict who will be available. Daniel Jeremiah has us picking Vernon Butler in the first round but CBS has Butler going in the third round. Just to give an example. We might want to wait for some players in order not to reach for them but if we don't get them asap they might very well be gone before we pick again. So that has me thinking we'll have to take someone in the first round that's crucial to take and would be irreplacable in the draft if we don't.

With that in mind I don't think OT is a good idea. I have Laremy Tunsil, Ronnie Stanley and Taylor Decker being worth a 1st round pick and I highly doubt we'll get close to grabbing any of the three as I expect 3-5 OTs being gone as soon as we pick at #26. after them is a lot of talent to take in the 2nd and 3rd round though, so it's probably better that they wait a round or two. Even if this is a glaring need, it's no use reaching for players that don't have an immediate impact.

At DT I'd say if Nkemdiche or A'shawn Robinson or available they are must picks for us. However, I don't think we'll be able to get them. I don't think guys like Andrew Billings, Sheldon Rankins and Jarran Reed are good fits for our defense. They shine better as run blockers but we have enough of that in either Rubin or Mebane. I do really like Sheldon Day and Vernon Butler though. They are players who fit our needs at the position. I'm just not sure if they require a first round pick. I doubt it actually. I think we should be able to get one of them in the second round.

The one I think the Seahawks will actually go with is:
CB Kendall Fuller (Virginia Tech)
6'0, 197 pounds

He's currently injured but he should be good to go for next season. I doubt we'll be able to get a similar player to him like we can with OT and DT. He might rise up the board when there's more info on his injury but I think he will be available at pick #26. He's definitely a player the FO and the players would love to have.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Germain Ifedi is probably the closest guy to Russell Okung in this draft class. 6'5, 325 with long arms, agile feet, and a powerful build, not a lot of fat on him. Powerful run blocker who is just quick enough to move to LT in the NFL with enough length to help him recover. If he fell to the Seahawks and they chose to draft him at #26, they could keep him at RT as a rookie, which is what Dallas did with Tyron Smith initially. Meanwhile, they could flip Gilliam to his more natural LT position. That gives us more power on the right side.

[youtube]OlHnptehjR0[/youtube]

[youtube]MOLj8K6e8Dk[/youtube]

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2cfl1bpj said:
Hawk_Nation":2cfl1bpj said:
hawknation2015":2cfl1bpj said:
Hawk_Nation":2cfl1bpj said:

BEAST

Why does every draftnik seem to consider him a guard in the NFL, not a tackle?

For example . . .

Drango might have played tackle in the past, and he might play tackle this season, but I would be absolutely shocked if he doesn't bump inside thanks to a build and game that screams guard play. Drango plays with some lower-body stiffness, which could eliminate him from tackle consideration, but he uses his hands in pass pro like the veteran tackle he is. Some scouts are already worried about the offensive line misses to come out of Baylor recently, but Drango's mauling, physical style and ability to win as a run blocker must be judged on its own merit.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ch-in-2015

[youtube]OC39tMkw3mE[/youtube]

Just a real good football player. Reminds me a little of Bitonio but a slightly inferior athlete. I think he could stick at tackle, but he'd be an ass-kicking guard.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":3siozbuz said:
Just a real good football player. Reminds me a little of Bitonio but a slightly inferior athlete. I think he could stick at tackle, but he'd be an ass-kicking guard.

Drango is listed at 6'6, which is protypical OT height, while Bitonio was only 6'4. I wonder how tall Drango really is and how long his arms are. Maybe he has alligator arms.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Overseasfan":33fxt4l1 said:
Alright let's say we stay at #26. The primary needs are OT and DT. CB and OLB are probably the positions we'd draft if no still available DTs and OTs are valued as 1st round talent.

As of right now it's hard to predict who will be available. Daniel Jeremiah has us picking Vernon Butler in the first round but CBS has Butler going in the third round. Just to give an example. We might want to wait for some players in order not to reach for them but if we don't get them asap they might very well be gone before we pick again. So that has me thinking we'll have to take someone in the first round that's crucial to take and would be irreplacable in the draft if we don't.

With that in mind I don't think OT is a good idea. I have Laremy Tunsil, Ronnie Stanley and Taylor Decker being worth a 1st round pick and I highly doubt we'll get close to grabbing any of the three as I expect 3-5 OTs being gone as soon as we pick at #26. after them is a lot of talent to take in the 2nd and 3rd round though, so it's probably better that they wait a round or two. Even if this is a glaring need, it's no use reaching for players that don't have an immediate impact.

At DT I'd say if Nkemdiche or A'shawn Robinson or available they are must picks for us. However, I don't think we'll be able to get them. I don't think guys like Andrew Billings, Sheldon Rankins and Jarran Reed are good fits for our defense. They shine better as run blockers but we have enough of that in either Rubin or Mebane. I do really like Sheldon Day and Vernon Butler though. They are players who fit our needs at the position. I'm just not sure if they require a first round pick. I doubt it actually. I think we should be able to get one of them in the second round.

The one I think the Seahawks will actually go with is:
CB Kendall Fuller (Virginia Tech)
6'0, 197 pounds

He's currently injured but he should be good to go for next season. I doubt we'll be able to get a similar player to him like we can with OT and DT. He might rise up the board when there's more info on his injury but I think he will be available at pick #26. He's definitely a player the FO and the players would love to have.

I think Stanley and Decker are a little overrated but will be gone before our pick anyway. Tunsil's as good an O-line prospect as I can remember in recent years. Pete and John have gambled on waiting for the right O-linemen before and it resulted in us panic-reaching for Justin Britt. It depends how we see the board of course, but there should be at least one guy available at #26 who wont be worth passing up on.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Considering Baylor OL have been colossal failures...there's no way I'd touch Drango. Baylor OL have quite literally been dumpster fires in the NFL, for good reason. They play basketball, not football. He's going to have to re-learn how to play OL, in the NFL style. No thanks in R1.

The best value at #26 is going to most likely be LB or CB or WR. A major talent is bound to fall (I think Darron Lee) who would be a very intriguing replacement for Bruce Irvin. Not to mention, it would greatly cheapen the LB corps, which will be important moving forward.

Eli Apple, McKensie Alexander, Corey Coleman, WIll Fuller...there will be an intriguing guy sitting at 26, for sure.

I'd love a LT...but a legitimate NFL LT is not falling to #26. Doesn't mean someone couldn't develop into one, but a day 1 quality starter at LT ain't happening at that draft spot.