Would you prefer a change in offensive identity?

blazen2392

Reaction score
I get it. Pound the ball and play defense. Its worked for us and it got us a superbowl.
However i think its time for a change. We had an all time historic defense, and now its been taken down to just elite. I'm not saying we abandon the philosophy completely, but i think we need to be able to game plan better.

Maybe i'm just ignorant to the nuances, but can someone please explain to why we always need to "pound" the ball regardless of who we're playing? Even if the opposing team has one of the best run stopping defenses and a weak secondary, we have to "pound" the ball to set up the PA. why not just come out swinging and take advantage of their weak secondary? Take what the defenses give you, and look for match-ups across the board. It's what the patriots do, and on any given then they can run the ball 30 times, or 3. They take advantage of match ups. Not saying we should abandon to run, but turn to it when appropriate.

We have been blessed with another gifted running back, but i think we take for granted how durable beastmode was. I would prefer not to run Rawls into the ground. I would at the very least like to see Wilsons pass attempts increase by 15% after an adequate investment has been put into the oline. Our receiving core is shaping up to be every bit as talented as the patriots, and while Wilson is no brady, he has shown he belongs in that Class of QB.

We could potentially have a top 3 offense next year, depending on how this offseason goes, but we need better coaching and gameplanning. We always give players shit for not having their emotions in check. Pete this year would put a 13 year old teenage girl to shame.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
We pounded the ball because Russell was not ready to carry the team. He can do that now, and I expect our offensive approach to be built on that fact. This is the goal of every team in the NFL. Only problem is, there aren't enough quality QBs to go around.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":28du9a1z said:
We pounded the ball because Russell was not ready to carry the team. He can do that now, and I expect our offensive approach to be built on that fact. This is the goal of every team in the NFL. Only problem is, there aren't enough quality QBs to go around.

I think they are just using whatever is at their disposal, as applies to the situation. Everyone talks about 'spread,' but it's not like we were wearing out our D with something Chip Kelly-esche. The RB's are still getting plenty of carries, and I think we would be seeing more PA if the OL could hold, but the offense is definitely evolving, as is Russ. I love seeing Russell work the middle...something almost everyone said he couldn't do because of his height.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
If the long-term plan was ground and pound, the resources allocated to it look pretty fishy.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
RussB":3p263vfv said:
Yes. Absolutely. Its wilson's time to carry the team.

Or, Cable could pull his head out and actually get O-linemen who have ever played offense in their entire football lives. It's no wonder we couldn't run this year, or hold a lead! Or avoid getting RW killed on any play (poorly) designed to go more than 10 yards.

chris98251

Reaction score
You pound the ball to control time, possession, and impose your will, one dimensional teams rarely win it all.

Anthony!

Reaction score
chris98251":q9r7hkza said:
You pound the ball to control time, possession, and impose your will, one dimensional teams rarely win it all.

Ahh and your point'? You do know we can run in the spread and in fact ran as much in the spread as we did without the spread. We do not have the personnel on offense to run smash mouth as our main offense. Not without spending more money on oline and that money must come from someplace, and since most of our money is spent on defense guess were it comes from. So rather than weaken our defense why not keep it strong, run the spread more and have a top 5 defense and offense. and WIN

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
I personally liked our ground and pound offense. We imposed our will through the running game. Physically whipped teams.

We aren't good enough to do it anymore or I think we would be. It's tried and true way to win games.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":xddgjmdd said:
I personally liked our ground and pound offense. We imposed our will through the running game. Physically whipped teams.

We aren't good enough to do it anymore or I think we would be. It's tried and true way to win games.

Hmm remind me how many SB in the last 10 years were won with that style? answer 1-2. You need to be able to run the ball but there are other ways than lining up 5 lineman, 2 te and saying we are running it stop us. Especially when you team is not built like that any more. Also you do not pay or get an Elite QB to run smash mouth. You can impose your will passing as well, See NE, which can open up the run.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Anthony!":1hmcoezv said:
Tech Worlds":1hmcoezv said:

Hmm remind me how many SB in the last 10 years were won with that style? answer 1-2. You need to be able to run the ball but there are other ways than lining up 5 lineman, 2 te and saying we are running it stop us. Especially when you team is not built like that any more. Also you do not pay or get an Elite QB to run smash mouth. You can impose your will passing as well, See NE, which can open up the run.
We won that way. I got no problem winning that way again.

Relax fanboy. Wilson will still be the key cog.

xgeoff

Reaction score
Personally I would like to see the offense have the tools to play a variety of styles. Pound the ball when we can but also have playmakers at the skill positions to break the big play. I think we're close to that now. Doug Baldwin and Tyler Lockett have shown big play potential as does Thomas Rawls. These two identities complement each other but largely rely on the Offensive Line doing its job.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
xgeoff":2zirp9bf said:
Personally I would like to see the offense have the tools to play a variety of styles. Pound the ball when we can but also have playmakers at the skill positions to break the big play. I think we're close to that now. Doug Baldwin and Tyler Lockett have shown big play potential as does Thomas Rawls. These two identities complement each other but largely rely on the Offensive Line doing its job.
That's exactly who we have been. It's just the oline has deteriorated.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
blazen2392":jgok200i said:
I get it. Pound the ball and play defense. Its worked for us and it got us a superbowl.
However i think its time for a change. We had an all time historic defense, and now its been taken down to just elite. I'm not saying we abandon the philosophy completely, but i think we need to be able to game plan better.

Maybe i'm just ignorant to the nuances, but can someone please explain to why we always need to "pound" the ball regardless of who we're playing? Even if the opposing team has one of the best run stopping defenses and a weak secondary, we have to "pound" the ball to set up the PA. why not just come out swinging and take advantage of their weak secondary? Take what the defenses give you, and look for match-ups across the board. It's what the patriots do, and on any given then they can run the ball 30 times, or 3. They take advantage of match ups. Not saying we should abandon to run, but turn to it when appropriate.

We have been blessed with another gifted running back, but i think we take for granted how durable beastmode was. I would prefer not to run Rawls into the ground. I would at the very least like to see Wilsons pass attempts increase by 15% after an adequate investment has been put into the oline. Our receiving core is shaping up to be every bit as talented as the patriots, and while Wilson is no brady, he has shown he belongs in that Class of QB.

We could potentially have a top 3 offense next year, depending on how this offseason goes, but we need better coaching and gameplanning. We always give players shit for not having their emotions in check. Pete this year would put a 13 year old teenage girl to shame.
You need an elite quarterback to do what Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Denver, and New England do. Pete just admitted next year Wilson is ready and has all the tools to be allowed to learn how and do the very same. So exciting. Let him and the Seahawks play the matchups. Play any and all styles. Sometimes for an entire game or even changing strategies within the game and back again.

We already did this when Graham was around and then when Rawls was still in.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Where have you been? The team made a major chance in philosophy this past season from a run-first team to a In-Russell-We-Trust team. That will likely continue going forward.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":34ymugzc said:
Where have you been? The team made a major chance in philosophy this past season from a run-first team to a In-Russell-We-Trust team. That will likely continue going forward.
We still ran the ball more than we passed it last year.

chris98251

Reaction score
Anthony!":8h2q46mo said:
Tech Worlds":8h2q46mo said:

Patriots have used the running game the whole time Belichek has been coach, be it Corey Dillon or Legerette Blount or someone in between, Pittsburgh had Bettis , Giants Jacobs and Bradshaw just off the top of my head, Peyton won with James, didn't without a running game against those scrub Seahawks. Brees only won when he had a running game to compliment the passing game.

It's not what you always do in the big game, it is what gets you there, defense and a running game gets you there with a passing game that can break things open or get you back in a game.

OP
OP
B

blazen2392

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3hu4z97h said:

No. All that increased was effeciency. we still ran the ball a shit ton, even with mediocre running backs.

Rob12

Reaction score
I'm a bit torn here, because even asking this question just shows that the Lynch era could be legitimately over, and that's a tough pill to swallow.

On the other hand, our QB deserves to have this offense centered around him. He's plenty talented enough, and with the right parts around him, I feel like he can be one of the best passing QB's the game has ever seen. The Seahawks inked him to a very lucrative contract, and you have to maximize that value. He's ready for even more greatness, and that excites me.

I don't necessarily want to see a pass heavy offense, but one that is more balanced is probably in order. I'd say something like 55/45 pass/run. Russ would put up some insane numbers.

Sac

Reaction score
I want an offense that scores an avalanche of points early and can grind out the clock late. With this defense? 19-0