Fire Bevell?

• Yes

Votes: 77 43.5%
  • No

Votes: 100 56.5%

• Total voters

sedrohawk

Reaction score
the problem with firing bevell is who are you going to replace him with? do you want to waste a year of Wilson's development trying to learn a new system? I want to see how bevell's offense works once he gets a decent o-line before I will vote for him to be replaced.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
This is the only team in the league where the offense can be in the top 7 for 4 years and the fans want to get rid of their offensive coordinator.

I thought it became evident that when the offensive line played at league average - Bevell can design and call the best offense in the league.

We were the best offense in football for 7-8 weeks.

Keep also in mind what we did that with. We had exactly one first round draft pick playing on our offense during that run. We had a receiving corps with 2 undrafted players, a late round tight end and a rookie. Our running back was also undrafted - and then street free agents. Our offensive line was and remains patchwork.

Bevell, statistically speaking, is a top-5 offensive coordinator in the league. That can't actually be disputed. In fact, by DVOA he is probably top 3.

Besides, who do we bring in that would be better? Once, again, statistically speaking there isn't one coach available who would be an improvement.

I am not saying that he doesn't have weaknesses - as his play designs are sometimes inappropriately slow to develop and his play selection at times is quizzical. But that happens with every OC. They all have great plans until they are punched in the face. At least our guys can rebound after getting their lip bloodied.

Hawkboi

Reaction score
I actually think they should fire whoever was in charge of the cleats and shoes for the players... :stirthepot:

SeaToTheHawks

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":34ucm0k0 said:
This is the only team in the league where the offense can be in the top 7 for 4 years and the fans want to get rid of their offensive coordinator.

I thought it became evident that when the offensive line played at league average - Bevell can design and call the best offense in the league.

Keep also in mind what we did that with. We had exactly one first round draft pick playing on our offense during that run. We had a receiving corps with 2 undrafted players, a late round tight end and a rookie. Our running back was also undrafted - and then street free agents. Our offensive line was and remains patchwork.

Bevell, statistically speaking, is a top-5 offensive coordinator in the league. That can't actually be disputed. In fact, by DVOA he is probably top 3.

Besides, who do we bring in that would be better? Once, again, statistically speaking there isn't one coach available who would be an improvement.

I am not saying that he doesn't have weaknesses - as his play designs are sometimes inappropriately slow to develop and his play selection at times is quizzical. But that happens with every OC. They all have great plans until they are punched in the face. At least our guys can rebound after getting their lip bloodied.

I continue to believe that we were a good offense in spite of Bevell, not because of.

ShaunPope

Reaction score
If Bevell can develop a top 5 offense in the league, why does our offense have so many stinker games? Why do we usually start off the season and games very slow and inconsistent on offense and wait until about the halfway point in the season/game to finally explode offensively? With Bevell and Wilson in year 4 together, it shouldn't take so long into the season/game to figure out what works and what doesn't. Bevell is good at making adjustments EVENTUALLY, but my word, he's so damn slow to figure things out.

dbsn2420

Reaction score
I've done my share of screaming "Bevell, WTF are you doing" but even with this crappy O in the first of the season, I believe they still ended up top 5 in scoring. That was without Graham who was coming around and without Lynch who this O has been built around for the last 4 years. The 6 or 7 game run in the 2nd half was ridiculously good.

Not to mention, who are you going to bring in to replace him, and do you think it's a good idea at this point to blow it up and implement a completely new O plan with someone new?

Yes, Bevell has called some bone head plays; but regardless, if the players on the field execute what is called, it shouldn't matter.

I say keep him on another year and simply change the philosophy a bit to better utilize the talent on the field. That has to come from Pete.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
You also have to realize he needs to construct his offense in the philosophy of Pete Carroll. Pete is ground and pound and safe plays. This will stifle any OC creativity. Plus with below average front lines for his tenure here what do you expect. Two Super Bowls and 4 Playoff appearances since he has been here. You all a right lets get rid of him for...............? Thats what I thought. It is so easy to pluck a OC from anywhere and have him do everything to please everyone on this board.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I don't like Darrell all that much.

But the players, Russ included, seem to. And seeing as my opinion is worth dick, and their opinions count, well there we go.

That is enough. Besides, I think we are in the midst of an offensive change that may have us looking like we did the last half the year on a more permanent basis. And Darrell is part of that, til Pete says he isn't or someone hires him to be a HC.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":21gt1gu2 said:
I don't care what stats say about our offense. My eyes say that against good defenses we struggled mightily.

Dont most teams? Is that what makes them GOOD defenses?

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":32hlrn5h said:
I don't care what stats say about our offense. My eyes say that against good defenses we struggled mightily.

Confirmation bias. We have had some good-great performances against great defenses over the years. Both Arizona games, Minnesota, 1st Rams game, Bengals etc.

Furthermore, there is cognitive dissonance with that statement. Many many great offenses have struggled against our defense. Somehow that is perfectly acceptable and expected. However, if our offense struggles against a great defense - that is not ok.

You can't have it both ways. Either great offenses are allowed to struggle a bit against great defenses or they're not.

If the legion of boom is expected to dominate every offense like they do then a defense almost as good will have some success against our offense.

Lastly, just want to remind you that we have the worst interior line in football as per pro football focus. I could understand the hate more if Bevell was given the Rolls Royce to work with but him and Cable have not been given quite as many toys as the defense has and have got a lot of efficiency out of our offense.

Zorn76

Reaction score
SeaToTheHawks":irp8dxfc said:
TDOTSEAHAWK":irp8dxfc said:

I continue to believe that we were a good offense in spite of Bevell, not because of.

Agreed.

And if he is as great as some here claim by virtue of offensive statistics, why no legit interest from other NFL teams? He's not getting any interviews, because he isn't being pursued.

Strange.

Beyond that, he's too inconsistent with his calls during crucial moments. He inexplicably will dial up plays with personnel who seldom are called upon in those key instances (like targeting our worst WR on a play that ended last year's SB). After 9 weeks thiis year, he Finally came around to the idea of "getting the ball out of RW's hands quicker" by implementing shorter routes.

Wow, what a thought! And it's something that could've been done waaaay earlier in the season, too. Who woulda thunk?

He is not the be all, end all, as OC's go. But, again, since he can't get an interview for a HC position with another NFL franchise - because he receives no consideration whatsoever to begin with - his advocates will be delighted that he stays, along with dear ol' Tom.

Rob12

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":3l5rrxjh said:

This. It's sad, really. As of this poll numbers indicate, 50 percent of the fans here don't respect continuity.

Who are you going to replace him with? This offense has been damn good for sustained periods of time, with an offensive line that has been treated like the red headed step child. Bevell has been handcuffed by this, and we've all seen it. He's no where near perfect, but I'd bet RW would be pissed if the team cut ties with Bevell. Judging by what's he's said in the past, I believe that. And if RW feels like he Bevell is helping him transition his game and this offense, I'm no one to argue.

Read that again:

Yet people want him gone.

WHY?

Rob12

Reaction score
ShaunPope":nqnwbogr said:
If Bevell can develop a top 5 offense in the league, why does our offense have so many stinker games? Why do we usually start off the season and games very slow and inconsistent on offense and wait until about the halfway point in the season/game to finally explode offensively? With Bevell and Wilson in year 4 together, it shouldn't take so long into the season/game to figure out what works and what doesn't. Bevell is good at making adjustments EVENTUALLY, but my word, he's so damn slow to figure things out.

Sadly, and this is me just guessing, but that's probably more PC's philosophy of "don't show your hand too early and feel the other team out first."

I don't think it's PC who is stepping in the third quarter and getting this offense's *** in gear. Maybe you do. Who knows which one of us right?

I don't think PC gives Bevell free reign. I just don't. Why else would the players on offense sing Bevell's praises? I don't know, I really don't. No one does. But I think that Bevell catches way more flak here than is deserved.

Rob12

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":1kb5m6p6 said:
Tech Worlds":1kb5m6p6 said:

Confirmation bias. We have had some good-great performances against great defenses over the years. Both Arizona games, Minnesota, 1st Rams game, Bengals etc.

Furthermore, there is cognitive dissonance with that statement. Many many great offenses have struggled against our defense. Somehow that is perfectly acceptable and expected. However, if our offense struggles against a great defense - that is not ok.

You can't have it both ways. Either great offenses are allowed to struggle a bit against great defenses or they're not.

If the legion of boom is expected to dominate every offense like they do then a defense almost as good will have some success against our offense.

Lastly, just want to remind you that we have the worst interior line in football as per pro football focus. I could understand the hate more if Bevell was given the Rolls Royce to work with but him and Cable have not been given quite as many toys as the defense has and have got a lot of efficiency out of our offense.

Please post more, man.

Rob12

Reaction score
Zorn76":22nvuztz said:
He is not the be all, end all, as OC's go.

Why do people here have to exaggerate so much here to make a point? Honest question.

Who here is calling him the "be all, end all" of offensive coordinators? Most of the Bevell supporters here acknowledge that there are things that happen on the offensive side of the ball that are truly head scratching. To insinuate otherwise is simply dishonest.

Until we know what goes on behind the scenes, we don't know how much or if Bevell is handcuffed by Carroll. We will probably know in 10 years or so, when an ESPN 30 for 30 is done or a book is written about this current era of Seahawks football. I feel like I have a pretty good handle on Pete, and I don't think he's letting Bevell call whatever plays he wants. I think there's some "I am the boss" thing that goes on there.

By no means am I saying that Bevell is free from criticism. But let's be honest here - he has a great young QB, an elite running back, an atrocious pass blocking offensive line, and a handful of UDFA receivers and late round tight ends... I think he has done pretty well.

On the surface, it seems our $87M QB loves him. In mic'd up segments, it really seems that Russ puts a ton of stock in what comes out of Bevell's mouth. I really think the slow starts are more on Pete than anything else, but maybe I'm wrong there. But why is it than when the chips are down, this team can seemingly turn a switch and get things going on offense? I don't think that's Pete. He's a protect the ball, defensive minded coach. Logic tells me that that's where Bevell really shines. When the game is getting out of hands, Pete takes his hand off of the pulse of the offense and let's Bevell claw them back.

I would love to see Bevell gain complete trust to call games. I think he's probably earned that right considering our offense has been a DVOA monster over the past four seasons.

Zorn76

Reaction score
And why hasn't Bevell been offered so much as an interview for a head coaching position in the NFL?

Love to hear anybody's theory here on that, lol.

His statistical prowse should lend itself to it, yes?

Or maybe there's something Beyond stats that others around the league don't like about him.

Either way, he is routinely passed over, and that's a fact as well.

Rob12

Reaction score
Zorn76":23jkfe5k said:
And why hasn't Bevell been offered so much as an interview for a head coaching position in the NFL?

Or maybe there's something Beyond stats that others around the league don't like about him.

Maybe Pete constantly tells him no, that's he's not ready. He shot BYU down pretty quick, no?

Maybe Bevell is rooted in the Seattle area and doesn't want to stop doing what he's doing?

Who knows? But you have a top 3 DVOA offense over the past four years - and you have a QB that seemingly loves Bevell. Does the media not reporting on him getting HC offers really deter you that much considering what we've been over the past four seasons?

Rob12

Reaction score
Zorn76":3htmrsrq said:

I know I'm playing the maybe game a lot here, but what if Bevell is Pete's successor once his contract runs out? My point is not enough information is available to answer your question.