Earl Thomas withdrawing himself from pro bowl game

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
2uzqqg5

I would like to take this opportunity to thank the players, coaches, and most importantly, all of the fans who voted me into this year's Pro Bowl. I have always considered being selected as one of the highest honors bestowed on any player in the league. While I value the significance of being named to the Pro Bowl, I unfortunately will not be able to participate in this year's upcoming game. It is without question that I will miss taking the trip out to Hawaii and enjoying the festivities with my fellow NFL brothers and all the fans, but I look forward to getting my body fully healthy and working to bring another Super Bowl home to Seattle!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 5338204011

Bobblehead

Reaction score
If it makes his body better for next year, I'm all for it.

Be good to have a extended time for convalescing in preparation for next year.

sutz

Reaction score
Bobblehead":cjuj4ti4 said:
If it makes his body better for next year, I'm all for it.

Be good to have a extended time for convalescing in preparation for next year.
I agree. The team gets a few extra weeks of R&R this year. Glad to see ET take it. Would love to have some Seahawks in the game and give me a reason to actually watch the game, but I don't blame Earl for this at all.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
I still can believe with the risk of injury to high dollar athletes they still continue this charade of a game. A game that means nothing, that all the best players are not there (Super Bowl teams usually have the most not going), and nobody is giving %100. At the end of the season as well. Dumb idea and if I was a player I would not take the risk either.

They could have some kinda "Superstars" themed idea with more modern and fun twist. Lots of interviews and the guys having fun. IMHO it would be way more interesting than a bad preseason game that the Pro Bowl is.

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
Turn the Pro-Bowl into a skills competition.

I rather watch a pass, punt and kick competition of Pro-Bowl players than the game itself.

irocdave

Reaction score
The pro bowl is a charade of a game as structured now. I totally understand why players don't go all out, especially the defensive players. It would be cool to see the players that are retiring and or maybe practice squad players involved.

Or just send the pro bowl players to Hawaii and let run interactive agility drills with fans for a week, capped with a flag football game with the best fan players intermingled on the teams. This would promote PLAY 60 children's flag football league's as well.

Orrrr......offer 1 million to each player on the winning team, zilch for the loser. That would create enough incentive for the 106 players to go all out.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
fridayfrenzy":2cbtj5hl said:

I rather watch a pass, punt and kick competition of Pro-Bowl players than the game itself.

Then a fun game of flag football...

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
I thought that the intent of the OP was to discuss why Earl was not going. Is it because he doesn't want the possibility of being injured( not likely) ....Is it because he is not paid enough? .....Is it because he wants his present weak shoulder to heal more completely? Does his family not want him to go? Does he not like the rules of the game? Has he had enough football this year, ie. mentally exhausted?

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I think they could get a competitive game if they had an All Rookie/Sophomore team vs a Veteran team. You'd have the young guys trying to prove themselves and the seasoned guys if they are competitive not wanting the young guys to show them up.

They would have to modify the way the selection is done or add an All Rookie team to the voting and the players selected get to return for their 2nd season.

Bryce84

Reaction score
fridayfrenzy":2yeesjsn said:

I like this idea. That was the best part of the Pro Bowl festivities several years ago. I was disappointed when they stopped having those skills competitions.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":2smc6p2u said:
The shoulder is still not right? More surgery?

The pro bowl is a waste of time - and more $ for the NFL - we have smart players and more and more, all is a stage and we are miserly discontent players.

More to life than football - we all know that. I hope.

*Edited for accuracy and, well, late night spelling.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Smart. I have no doubt ET was playing less than 100% all season long. Who knows what percentage actually? Like Kam, he didn't look like his normal self and the recovering injuries had to be the main reason for that. Good call, enjoy the added rest this off-season as you won't have as much next year.

:p

MrThortan

Reaction score
I remember years ago, during the Hasselbeck era, they competed at different skill sets like throwing balls at moving targets and such. I thought that was awesome and cooler then the game itself. Not sure if they still do that or if/why they quit.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Aros":96ohe009 said:
Smart. I have no doubt ET was playing less than 100% all season long. Who knows what percentage actually? Like Kam, he didn't look like his normal self and the recovering injuries had to be the main reason for that. Good call, enjoy the added rest this off-season as you won't have as much next year.

:p

I too think he and Kam played hurt this year. Remember that hit Kam made on Olson? How many times have we seen him 'bring the hammer,' this year? Not many. Big difference to our D when folks no longer fear throwing over the middle or to the flats.

And who besides sponsors care about the Pro-Bowl?

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
fridayfrenzy":2duydbwh said:

This...I really enjoyed all that stuff when they had it. It was way more entertaining to watch IMO. They totally did away with all of it and only have the game now

ShaunPope

Reaction score
The Pro-Bowl as a game is such a farce and should never be played again. An all-star game for the most violent sport is beyond absurd. Every player who is elected should absolutely refuse to play and perhaps the NFL will come to it's senses and cancel the game. Even the Pro-Bowl selections themselves are a joke. Just name the 1st and 2nd All-Pro teams and be done with it.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
His shoulder is obviously not feeling too good,I had the same injury (completely torn labrum) it took a long time(yrs) before
it felt like I had 2 equal parts.I didn't have a trainer ect but even so it really is a weird injury and takes a lot of rehab.I think you will see a normal Earl next year without that harness.When I saw him wearing that I was like OH S... NO!