New Offensive Coordinator Idea

117Jesus

Reaction score
Hey 12's, long time fan/lurker, and first time poster. Anyways, as I was watching us shred the Panthers to pieces in the 2nd half of the game, I was just thinking "Bevell, where was this up tempo offense in the 1st half?" and then after the game it hit me, I know who could be a great O-Coordinator for us.

Lane Kiffin.

Think about it, he has turned Alabama into an explosive offensive ever since he's been there after being fired at SC. I hate him as a head coach (I'm also an SC fan) but DAMN, I think he would be perfect for us, especially since him and Pete go back to their SC days a decade ago.

Anyways, just wanted to hear some thoughts on this! :th2thumbs:

SuperFreak

Reaction score
Bevell is the OC unless he takes a college opening as a head coach expect him back next season. Pete is pretty loyal only guy I recall getting relieved of his job was Jeremy Bates after Pete's first season as head coach.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
If Pete is always expecting players to compete for their jobs I wonder if he's doing the same with his staff? I'd like to think so but with so little turnover it seams he's not.

We should be looking at all ways to improve.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1f0226jq said:
If Pete is always expecting players to compete for their jobs I wonder if he's doing the same with his staff? I'd like to think so but with so little turnover it seams he's not.

We should be looking at all ways to improve.

I think this was a big part of the problem this year. Pete lost some of the player buy in on always compete because they saw that the same wasn't being expected of the staff.

King Dog

Reaction score
You guy's are hilarious. Bevell is a legit offensive coordinator. Most fans / teams would be happy to have him. Sorry

King Dog

Reaction score
Oh, and you guys thinking you know more than Pete about what we need in an offensive coordinator is great :)

andyh64000

Reaction score
Good lord no...not Kiffen.

Bevell isn't going anywhere. I am not his biggest fan but we could do worse. I think the reason he starts off so vanilla is that he tries the simplest risk free gameplay and then if that doesn't work moves on from there. There is a reason we have been in every game since he became OC. The Carolina game was the first game where things spun out of control so quickly that we couldn't adjust in time.

chris98251

Reaction score
The Seahawks are a creation by .Net, if we didn't steer them in the right direction we could have something like the Browns as a team. Give credit where Credit is due ! :)

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
chris98251":1dxcwyak said:
The Seahawks are a creation by .Net, if we didn't steer them in the right direction we could have something like the Browns as a team. Give credit where Credit is due ! :)
ROFL. :p

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
117Jesus":3osi1did said:
Hey 12's, long time fan/lurker, and first time poster. Anyways, as I was watching us shred the Panthers to pieces in the 2nd half of the game, I was just thinking "Bevell, where was this up tempo offense in the 1st half?" and then after the game it hit me, I know who could be a great O-Coordinator for us.

Lane Kiffin.

Think about it, he has turned Alabama into an explosive offensive ever since he's been there after being fired at SC. I hate him as a head coach (I'm also an SC fan) but DAMN, I think he would be perfect for us, especially since him and Pete go back to their SC days a decade ago.

Anyways, just wanted to hear some thoughts on this! :th2thumbs:

Welcome first of all.

Dear God no to the idea though. :D

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
If you want to go so far as replacing Bev, you'd better trot forward with an option better than Kiffin.

getnasty

Reaction score
I'm in the keep Bevell camp, i just think he's done a pretty good job considering the limitations he's had to deal with. If I were to go in another direction though I think Doug Marrone would be intriguing.

djb28

Reaction score
getnasty":i4jr6vsl said:
I'm in the keep Bevell camp, i just think he's done a pretty good job considering the limitations he's had to deal with. If I were to go in another direction though I think Doug Marrone would be intriguing.

I can already hear it the first bad game. " Doug the Moron Marrone" FIRE HIM! It really doesn't matter who it is. The lynch mob will always be a game away.

crosfam

Reaction score
Kiffin is building (really rebuilding) a resume to become a SEC/Big 10/Big 12 level head coach. Bevell is our OC for this run. He will become a HC if we keep winning and going to playoffs, or we will fall apart and he is fired. Hopefully the former. At that point we go in a new direction.

We cant be like the former champion Ravens, who fired their starting QB Trent Dilfer (flawed but a champion) for a supposed improvement, the "hot" new QB, Elvis Grbac.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Pete enjoys employing failures as coaches/coordinators so i also expect him back.

There are good things about Pete, but loyalty to failure is not one of them.

Expect another season of hoping to come back in the 4th qtr

McGruff

Reaction score
dogorama":395o0v6x said:
When reporter called his buddies around the NFL RE:TOP OC's this is what he got. On arguablly the top team we do NOT have a Top 10 - OC: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ordinators

6 mon the old article. Would be interesting to see what people say now that the SB is almost a year in the rear view mirror and after Bevell was under the headset for one of the most remarkable in season turnarounds in recent history.

I'm not saying he's the best. But even if he's middle of the pqck, it's going to be hard to upgrade.

Fade

Reaction score
Pete Carroll undermines his entire philosophy of always compete when it only applies to the players, and not the coaches. Bevell is here until Pete Carroll isn't. They may as well be a package deal.

Jac

Reaction score
I think Bevell has shown episodes of greatness over the years, the ability to change direction midstream (read option, spread), all the while working around a limited offensive line. I think where people really get frustrated involve the slow starts, the lack of consistency, and sometimes regressive game plans (going away from what's working). I also think it's impossible for any of us to ever really move on from the SB call (even if the coaches and players have).

But Carroll's best chance for continued success is probably working with Bevell this offseason to find ways to make those episodes of greatness more consistent. And part of that will involve Schneider/Cable finding OL personnel that can provide Wilson a more consistent pocket. Maybe you can't teach an old dog new tricks, but I think you'd need to have pretty solid replacement in mind if you're going to make that kind of switch.

OP
OP

117Jesus

Reaction score
Not sure what all the hate for Kiffin is. Does anyone here watch CFB? I've seen Saban yelling at Kiffin for getting that team to score to fast :mrgreen:

Anyways, I know Bevell probably isn't going to go anywhere and I'm not saying I know more than Pete, but I'm as tired of slow starts as you guys. Absolutely ridiculous that we lost to Carolina last weekend, and that wouldn't have happened if we would've started even just a tad bit quicker. Also, it looks like the 49ers are looking at Lane Kiffin for OC. If they get him, that combination of him and Kelly will be lethal.

Like I said, I'm a huge USC fan and I know how bad Kiffin was as a head coach, but damn, he's a good OC.