?

• Spread

Votes: 33 78.6%
  • Power Running

Votes: 9 21.4%

• Total voters

RussB

Reaction score
Lots of talk on this forum about whether they should keep running the spread or go back to power running. So how about everybody votes on it.

I personally think the spread offense gives this team a better chance at success as it showed this season . Wilson balled and so did dougy fresh and lockett and kearse. oh and rawls.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I'd prefer power but the rules demand spread and why have a quarterback you pay 20M not play to his strengths? For example Kansas City needs to be run focused because Alex Smith can't carry a team by himself unlike Wilson and the usual suspects like Brady, Ben, and Peyton and maybe Luck if he's not dealing with multiple major injuries.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":3906y6ks said:
Power running with exposive plays down field.
Yeah, we did that and got the t-shirt and a Superbowl loss and totally figured out by the whole league and their 5th cousins as a bonus. It's past time to evolve and run a modern NFL offense that the rules demand and favor. To do that you need an elite quarterback and good to great OL and WR's. Isn't it nice that we already have two out three and of the two we have the hardest to fill already?

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1roh64dq said:
seahawkfreak":1roh64dq said:
Yeah, we did that and got the t-shirt and a Superbowl loss and totally figured out by the whole league and their 5th cousins as a bonus.

PC has done this since he's been at USC. Won a SB too.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":2eyshqzy said:
MizzouHawkGal":2eyshqzy said:
seahawkfreak":2eyshqzy said:
Yeah, we did that and got the t-shirt and a Superbowl loss and totally figured out by the whole league and their 5th cousins as a bonus.

PC has done this since he's been at USC. Won a SB too.
And lost also. Besides it's far easier to focus around your quarterback. Less positions need to be good to elite then a run focused team for serious Superbowl contention. Every team but Carolina in the running is exactly like this. Some for years running like a couple teams in the last two Superbowls and about ready to face off against another similarly focused team in said game.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Spread offense with Rawls/Michael and a 3rd down jitter bug HB. I really wish the Hawks would have landed Sproles when he left New Orleans.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":1agfbdqd said:
Spread offense with Rawls/Michael and a 3rd down jitter bug HB. I really wish the Hawks would have landed Sproles when he left New Orleans.
If you don't think that's exactly what is planned you're insane. Next year is going to shock some people around here that are so in love with the Lynch era with the slow grind it out and keep it close offense.

We have all the other weapons already on the roster. Now it's time to get that change of pace running back and redo the interior of our OL.

2_0_6

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3kdhpji3 said:
Hawk_Nation":3kdhpji3 said:
If you don't think that's exactly what is planned you're insane. Next year is going to shock some people around here that are so in love with the Lynch era.

Indeed. :thirishdrinkers:

chris98251

Reaction score
Why can't you have both instead of being predictably one dimensional, we have a diverse group of players and it makes defending twice as hard because you can't have packages on defense for one style of offense.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I'm all for the spread. You can run a spread offense and still be a great running team, and it doesnt need to be fast paced. And Rawls is the perfect fit. Personally I think it's more entertaining to watch.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
If we had a decent offensive line we would still be ground and pound.

Had we ground and pound ed at the end of the last superbowl we would have been back to back Champs. Both the niners and us were premiere teams that ran the ball and played great defense.

I got no problem continuing that formula if we are committed to providing the players to run it.

I kinda like the physical nature of it and the tough identity it gives our team.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
I dont think we are paying Russ 20+ million to hand the ball off...plus for a power scheme to work you actually have to have a good OLINE unless you have a freak at RB like Lynch or Peterson. Both the Vikings and Seahawks lines are god awful yet the running game is still good because of how good both of those backs are at breaking tackles.

chris98251

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":1ab2fulg said:
I dont think we are paying Russ 20+ million to hand the ball off...plus for a power scheme to work you actually have to have a good OLINE unless you have a freak at RB like Lynch or Peterson. Both the Vikings and Seahawks lines are god awful yet the running game is still good because of how good both of those backs are at breaking tackles.

Yeah lets pay him 20 million to get killed with no threat or pass blocking instead, you play top teams you can't be one dimensional.

When you don't have a diverse offense your QB gets killed because a good DC can shut down a single phase and then target your QB. Broncos and Packers know about that.

Fade

Reaction score
The variation of the Bevell WCO w/Spread concepts would be Ideal. (What they ran most of the 2nd half of the season.)

1st Down = Short throw / high percentage pass. -or- check to a run if you get a soft box.
2nd Down = Run -or- Play-action off of the run.
3rd Down = Situational

The gameplan's need to be built around the 3 best players on offense --> Graham, Baldwin, & Lockett. With Rawls licking his chops if they start cheating the pass.

This offense gets into trouble when it predictably runs into loaded boxes, and then the O-Line is asked to hold up on obvious passing downs.

The offense needs to have better tempo in the 1st half, with the ball being snapped with 15 secs or so on the play clock. They are at their best at this speed. They are lethargic, awkward, and bad, when they milk the clock under 5 seconds. They can milk the clock in the 4th quarter with a 20 point lead. They shouldn't be doing it on the 1st possesion. That is just setting up your players to fail.

Anthony!

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2j3ca5om said:
Hawk_Nation":2j3ca5om said:
If you don't think that's exactly what is planned you're insane. Next year is going to shock some people around here that are so in love with the Lynch era with the slow grind it out and keep it close offense.

We have all the other weapons already on the roster. Now it's time to get that change of pace running back and redo the interior of our OL.

Agreed the thing that annoyed me is those same people would complain the pass game did not do enough, or the offense as a whole did not do enough. Now we can have an offense that can do enough and still allow us to maintain a great defense and they want to get upset.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":257imv3i said:

Had we ground and pound ed at the end of the last superbowl we would have been back to back Champs. Both the niners and us were premiere teams that ran the ball and played great defense.

I got no problem continuing that formula if we are committed to providing the players to run it.

I kinda like the physical nature of it and the tough identity it gives our team.

well for one you really do not know if we were ground and pound we would have won that SB, what you do know is we had a 2 score lead with 9 minutes to go. Also had we stayed ground and pound the last game we would have not even had a chance. I am glad you like that nature of ground and pound me I want to win and this year we learned we cannot win with ground and pound without major upgrades along the line which will require money which would have to come from the part of the team that is using the most the defense, there by weakening said defense and putting us in a position to score more and needing the spread anyway.

Anthony!

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":hkriizgn said:

Cant speak for Minny but lets not forget a huge part of our run game is our QB.

Anthony!

Reaction score
chris98251":1mbs82d7 said:
WilsonMVP":1mbs82d7 said:

Yeah lets pay him 20 million to get killed with no threat or pass blocking instead, you play top teams you can't be one dimensional.

When you don't have a diverse offense your QB gets killed because a good DC can shut down a single phase and then target your QB. Broncos and Packers know about that.

ahh you do know we ran the ball as much in the spread as we did in the power system right? You can run from the spread also.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Anthony!":2mcl6qec said:
Tech Worlds":2mcl6qec said:

well for one you really do not know if we were ground and pound we would have won that SB, what you do know is we had a 2 score lead with 9 minutes to go. Also had we stayed ground and pound the last game we would have not even had a chance. I am glad you like that nature of ground and pound me I want to win and this year we learned we cannot win with ground and pound without major upgrades along the line which will require money which would have to come from the part of the team that is using the most the defense, there by weakening said defense and putting us in a position to score more and needing the spread anyway.
You win.

You are exhausting.