Leo position, press-man, cover 3, and defensive evolution

hinton

Reaction score
Hey. Frequent lurker, infrequent poster.

I've seen a lot of articles/posts/blogs lately about how the Seahawks/Carroll's defence has been figured out. Finishing number 1 in scoring defence for a 4th straight year is unparalleled but it feels somewhat different this season. Less violent, which is odd when the run defence is so solid. maybe it simply feels less intimidating.

The Leo / 4-3:
For years all the talk was about the leo position. Clemmon's was a monster there for several years and rotational guys also finding success. Over the last few years we seem to have quietly shifted into a more typical 4-3 formation, with more rotation across the line. There are clear advantages and disadvantages to this, but as players have more responsibility do we miss the 'one man, one role' type of simplicity that allows players to pin their ears back and play thought-free?

Press-Man
This year we seem to have played off the receiver more than I can recall under the Carroll tenure. A couple of years ago we played press-man coverage the majority of the time, disrupting routes, frustrating receivers, and limiting the quick-throws. Aside from the departure of Browner I don't know why we have shifted our focus here. Were people figuring us out? Was Browner just that good?
Nothing gives me a spike in blood pressure quite like seeing a WR/TE get a free-release or a 10 yard cushion. I can't remember the last time we made a receiver lose it, like Jennings taking a swing at Browner or Roddy White visibly livid, or any receiver getting 'alligator arms'

Cover 3
The formation is the most widely accepted reason for the change in the defence. Maybe it is, but it seems that we even play this a little less than we used to. From what I can see it's technique and attitude within the formation, rather than the formation itself.

Fear
Maybe I'm mistaken about this but people don't seem to fear playing the defence anymore. Everyone accepts that they are still one of the best defences in the league for fundamentals / formations / understanding / speed - but no-one is intimidated as they one were. I wanna see them make a receiver lose his mind again, failing to run routes in the 4th, and avoiding the middle of the field like the plague!

I've only followed the NFL for about 13 years, growing up in the UK football (soccer) was my main sport). I'd appreciate some insight from those who've grown up with the game, or studied it in more depth.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Cool post, hinton. Can't help but wonder if the reason for more off coverage has to do with the new emphasis on illegal contact. Less tools in the box to prevent receivers from getting a free release? Would love to hear someone speak to this that has some knowledge on the topic.

Completely agree about it not feeling as violent.

OP
OP
hinton

hinton

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":1uyqs0g2 said:
Browner could only play press man coverage.

hah, very true. Although it's better to do one thing well than many things badly I guess. It got him to a pro bowl didn't it?

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Laloosh":2vjxhgdu said:
Cool post, hinton. Can't help but wonder if the reason for more off coverage has to do with the new emphasis on illegal contact. Less tools in the box to prevent receivers from getting a free release? Would love to hear someone speak to this that has some knowledge on the topic.

Completely agree about it not feeling as violent.
I agree, cool post. I, too, look forward to others with clear knowledge on the matter chiming in.

Ultimately, Pete and Kris Richard need to look at this and I'm sure they're going to try some new (or old) wrinkles. They didn't seem to dial up the blitz as much this year. While the Defense still had the ratings, they didn't seem to disrupt the passer as much. It all works together, but seems to start with proving it in the trenches. When they're "on", feels like they're playing with 12 ON the field. When they're not, feels like they're 1 or 2 guys short.

I'm wondering if there's just not as much depth? Maybe they need an infusion of a couple more aggressive players? We know the contributions of just one player can impact the entire D. There's some good defensive players in the draft that I think would contribute to making this Defense feared again.

I think a factor in how the Defense is viewed is that they're no longer overlooked. Teams figure out whatever they can on how to attack the Defense + they keep changing the rules to favor the offense... probably in part due to how the Seahawks have played.

ivotuk

Reaction score
We're everyone's Superbowl is one reason why. The really good teams, those in the NFCW all build their teams to beat us.

But there are valid concerns with personell. There's not enough rotation on the DLINE and Avril is playing too many downs. I would prefer our #1 pick go to one of the many DE/LEOs available in the draft, with our #2 pick going to a DT. Our Dline is aging.

I think BB and BMax were very good in this system, and if Tharold Simon could have stayed healthy, we would have been golden. Shead has done a good job, and getting Lane back was huge, but we need more depth here.

It would be nice to get a thumper LB in the middle for running teams like the Panthers. Someone big enough to blow up Tolbert and take down Stewart.

Again, I don't think it's scheme, so much as personell.