How much $$ do we really save cutting Lynch?

bbsplitter

Reaction score
I've heard people throw out his overall cap hit as the savings for if we cut him, I've heard people say its only partial because he is already getting guaranteed money, what really would be the amount saved if we cut him?

kidhawk

Reaction score
his deal had a signing bonus of $7.5 million spread over 3 years. There is $5 million of that money left. He is due $9 million this coming season. If we straight up cut him and eat the dead money we save $4 million in cap space. If we wait and cut him after June 1 we can choose to split that over 2 years and eat the dead money slower which means we could free up $6.5 million in the upcoming season but still have $2.5 million on the cap for the following year.

redhawk253

Reaction score
pretty sure he is due 11.5 mill... 5 mill in dead cap.. 6.5 mill in savings if he is traded or cut.

OP
OP
bbsplitter

bbsplitter

Reaction score
kidhawk":2dpywmwz said:
his deal had a signing bonus of $7.5 million spread over 3 years. There is $5 million of that money left. He is due $9 million this coming season. If we straight up cut him and eat the dead money we save $4 million in cap space. If we wait and cut him after June 1 we can choose to split that over 2 years and eat the dead money slower which means we could free up $6.5 million in the upcoming season but still have $2.5 million on the cap for the following year.

$4 mil seems like pretty small savings considering the quality of back they would be losing. Even if he were to only serve as a back up role to the main man Rawls, I don't know if it would be worth it to lose him over 4mil. If they were to split the hit across the two years then maybe I could see it, but even then, accounting for the amount they would spend replacing him with a solid veteran, It still might not be worth it. Granted, if they get into a cap crunch, I don't think he is quite "integral" to the team anymore like he used to be.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
We save his $9M salary, and get the benefit of that as $6.5M in 2016 and $2.5M in 2017.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
He's gone. I loved Lynch, you loved Lynch.. but he's gone. There's no way this team will keep him around as a backup at that cost.

McGruff

Reaction score
kidhawk":27ail8a4 said:

Actually we save more.

His salary plus cap proration for 2016 is 11.5 million (9 salary and 2.5 bonus proration). Cutting him pre-June 1st saves all the salary but brings the $5million proration against that 11.5 . . . saving us 6.5 million total. If we designate him a post June 1st cut, we save $9million but it costs us $2.5 million next year.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
So the real issue is does the team want to prorate the cap saving over two seasons?

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Clayton tweeted he is done regardless. I don't know if that was from lynch's mouth or the hawks camp.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
jammerhawk":jjk2dlgy said:
So the real issue is does the team want to prorate the cap saving over two seasons?
Likely not because the cap space that you free up this year ($9.0M) would not be available until June 1st... way after free agency starts. The rub is for designated post-June 1st cuts, the player and his salary cap stay on the books until June 1st.

If Pete and Carroll want to use Lynch's cap space to sign our own FAs or other UFAs (DUH!, of course they do), they need all the cap space they can get before June 1st... so I predict Marshawn will be a pre-June 1st cut... and cutting him will free up $6.5M to use on our own FAs before FA starts... and on other FAs after FA starts if Pete and John are so inclined.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
johnnyfever":jwwsvg2n said:
Clayton tweeted he is done regardless. I don't know if that was from lynch's mouth or the hawks camp.
That is John's opinion, as he stated it this afternoon on Danny, Dave and Moore ESPN710 show this afternoon,

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":28swmrit said:
johnnyfever":28swmrit said:

So if he retires, does that change the potential cap savings?
Possibly.

If he retires before being cut, I believe, AND Seattle recovers the $5M in prorated signing bonus for 2016 and 2017, then I believe that the $5M comes off the team's salary cap books.

If he is cut, then there's no team option to recover the $5M... and therefore no opportunity for it to come off the books.

Erebus

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":x92ubct4 said:
jammerhawk":x92ubct4 said:
Likely not because the cap space that you free up this year ($9.0M) would not be available until June 1st... way after free agency starts. The rub is for designated post-June 1st cuts, the player and his salary cap stay on the books until June 1st.

If Pete and Carroll want to use Lynch's cap space to sign our own FAs or other UFAs (DUH!, of course they do), they need all the cap space they can get before June 1st... so I predict Marshawn will be a pre-June 1st cut... and cutting him will free up $6.5M to use on our own FAs before FA starts... and on other FAs after FA starts if Pete and John are so inclined.

They need a few million dollars to sign their draft picks. They can designate Lynch as a post-June 1 cut, spend their currently available money on free agents, and use the extra $2.5M savings to sign their draft class after June 1st.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Erebus":2d5vxemz said:
onanygivensunday":2d5vxemz said:
jammerhawk":2d5vxemz said:

They need a few million dollars to sign their draft picks. They can designate Lynch as a post-June 1 cut, spend their currently available money on free agents, and use the extra $2.5M savings to sign their draft class after June 1st.
Not quite.

The problem with your plan is if the team designates Lynch as a June 1st cut, they can't spend any of his money ($9.0M) until June 1st... those are the rules. He stays on the roster and his salary counts against Seattle's cap until June 1st, at which time he disappears from the roster and $9.0M is added back to the team's available cap space..

The window to sign your own FAs without interference from other clubs closes on March 7th.

The only way cutting Lynch helps Pete and John sign their own FAs with the freed up $6.5M is to cut him pre-June 1st.

That's it.

Ozzy

Reaction score
He will be cut. I don't think anyone is taking on that contract unless they have a ton of money to spend. Jax is in that position but they have a good young back in Yeldon.

Skansi82

Reaction score
kearly":3n4ur81e said:
Largent80":3n4ur81e said:

$1.05

Freedom isn't free.

Dude it's too early in the morning! I literally choked on my coffee cracking up when I read that. Said in a voice trailing off ".........freedom costs a buck o' five.........."

#comeoneverybodywe'vegotquiltin'todo