sweet spot in salary cap similar to what we had with russ

redhawk253

Reaction score
similar to 2012s draft success where we got wilson, wagner, and irvin who all were early and great contributors that were able to start early in their careers i think were about to come up on another sweet spot in the salary cap that gave us a HUGE COMPETETIVE ADVANTAGE in having so little invested in them so we had the money for big talent elsewhere.. thats part of the reason we were thought to have the most talented roster in the nfl in 2013 and we got raided after the superbowl - after missing beyond 1 or 2 picks in 2013 and 2014 drafts.. this year i think we again hit paydirt on 3 diff rooks.. rawls (yeah ufa but still the same class) lockett and clark all look to be studs at their respective positions - all high paying positions but were gona have em on the cheap for a few years and they could all legitimately be plugged into starting roles right now and perform above average - going from a 10-12 mill dollar rb to a 500k.. having a 5-7 mill wr for 700k in lockett (golden tates salary is 7 mill next year i bet lockett outperforms him next season) and then clark dont know his salary but i know its a lot less than the 6.5 mill were paying avril.. basically going to have an extra 10-20 mill in the next few years since we hit in spots that we typically draft every year and have yet to find success - now we can finally draft at o line and positions like cb and safety early in the draft or even spend money on them in FA.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
redhawk253":1qh3nldp said:
similar to 2012s draft success where we got wilson, wagner, and irvin who all were early and great contributors that were able to start early in their careers i think were about to come up on another sweet spot in the salary cap that gave us a HUGE COMPETETIVE ADVANTAGE in having so little invested in them so we had the money for big talent elsewhere.. thats part of the reason we were thought to have the most talented roster in the nfl in 2013 and we got raided after the superbowl - after missing beyond 1 or 2 picks in 2013 and 2014 drafts.. this year i think we again hit paydirt on 3 diff rooks.. rawls (yeah ufa but still the same class) lockett and clark all look to be studs at their respective positions - all high paying positions but were gona have em on the cheap for a few years and they could all legitimately be plugged into starting roles right now and perform above average - going from a 10-12 mill dollar rb to a 500k.. having a 5-7 mill wr for 700k in lockett (golden tates salary is 7 mill next year i bet lockett outperforms him next season) and then clark dont know his salary but i know its a lot less than the 6.5 mill were paying avril.. basically going to have an extra 10-20 mill in the next few years since we hit in spots that we typically draft every year and have yet to find success - now we can finally draft at o line and positions like cb and safety early in the draft or even spend money on them in FA.

Sorry, we don't have any "sweet spot" coming up. It came and went.

The only way to have that "sweet spot" is to replace (get rid of) expensive players such as Wilson/thomas/sherman/chancelor with young draft picks.

The Hawks managed to get a Super Bowl win, but a number of bad trades and signings as well as our own guys getting more expensive erased any salary cap advantage we once had.

We are now just like any other team: our cap situation depends on which guys we get rid of to clear cap.

HawkerD

Reaction score
redhawk253":2j6gmwpo said:
...after missing beyond 1 or 2 picks in 2013 and 2014 drafts..

The only player you can consider even remotely making a difference from 13/14 drafts is Britt and that's marginal at best. They were retched drafts (D- grade) and 2014 would be considered similar if not for Lockett. Clark has flashed but nothing to make me think he is plug and play for Avril.

As much as talent as they acquired in 2010-2012, It has been just the opposite since and with that the championship window has narrowed proportionally.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
HawkerD":1ple36di said:
redhawk253":1ple36di said:
...after missing beyond 1 or 2 picks in 2013 and 2014 drafts..

The only player you can consider even remotely making a difference from 13/14 drafts is Britt and that's marginal at best. They were retched drafts (D- grade) and 2014 would be considered similar if not for Lockett. Clark has flashed but nothing to make me think he is plug and play for Avril.

As much as talent as they acquired in 2010-2012, It has been just the opposite since and with that the championship window has narrowed proportionally.

It's easier to shop when the cupboard is bare.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Its also a bit easier to shop when you have better draft picks, and keep your first rounders

OP
OP
R

redhawk253

Reaction score
I agree 2013/2014 sucked.. thats what i was saying.. but i dont think you can say they produced nothing.. britt is horrible but 2013 got us jordan hill who is a beast when he can stay on the field.. and luke wilson whos not terrible.. 2014 i think youre overlooking kevin pierre louis and also think cassius marsh is better than advertised.

And bjorn did you even read my post or just the title? I explained and supported all this the first time but let me just explain again how you just supported my point... we are replacing a 10 plus million dollar running back with a 500k rb.. those cap savings can be directly attributed to rawls.. we dont have the option to release beast if rawls isnt here ballin.. infact i guarantee we would be giving lynch whatever money he wanted and eating a lot of cap space if it werent for rawls.. next we have the option and bargaining chip in lockett to let kearse go and have the equivalent of a 5-7 mill wr based on what lockett is likely to produce his 2nd year for only 700k...

If you didnt see anything from clark you didnt watch the games.. he has impressed everyone all season and been touted as living up to and displaying the talent that originally hd him as a 1st round pick.. he was very productive in his limited playing time and constantly had himself in the backfield but also in the thick of the action whilest in the backfield.. not just being pushed to the outside like irvin struggled with in his rookie year..

Clark is the wildcard here because he looks like he could be plugged in and replace avril who has gotten banged up both his last 2 years and missed big portions of the last 2 playoff games he was injured in.. he is 29 and clark was as productive as him in less playing time... avril still ranked top 10 along with bennett by pff for outside edge guys but he also comes at a much higher cost than clark.. we could potentially decide to trade avril and get something back for him and let clark take over.. saving 5 million dollars on avril for a guy that only costs 850k in clark..

So lets add the values up.. 11.5 on lynch.. ill go low and say 5 mill on lockett although i think hes gona produce more than a lot of much higher paid wrs next season.. and 6.5 mill on avril.. if we were just looking at salary alone thats 23 million.. the 3 replacements only cost about 2 million..

Now i know it doesnt account to 21 mill in cap space.. so lets calc that.. bye lynch produces 6.5 mill in cap this year.. bye kearse assume lockett is his replacement id say kearse is gona get a deal where hes in the 3-5 mill range per year so lets say 4 mill on kearse... now you save 5 mill movin avril.. thats cap savings of 15.5 mill minus the 2 mill in salary for our trio of rookies next year..

13.5 million in basically bonus cap space while not losing production at the same time from the replacements and arguably improving there......

So tell me 13.5 mill in bonus cap space isnt a sweet spot when we can afford some big upgrades at numerous positions with that money while maintaining the current talent level at the positions being replaced...

That is exactly the same cap bonus sweet spot we experienced with namely wilson and wagners production early in their carreers.

Just wait and see.. pete and john are about to have an incredible offseason

OP
OP
R

redhawk253

Reaction score
Oh and i guarantee you both gus bradley and dan quinn would be willing to trade some nice picks/players to obtain avril from us at what is still a bargain price for a player of his caliber..

Thats why im not necessarily saying avril is gone or should be traded.. but it gives us that option.. we once again have one of the most talented rosters in the game and we will have cap space to go get more this offseason.

Im hopin we throw chancellor out the door in a trade as well.. that saves 4 mill in cap.. you know theres a lot of teams want him and theres some good safeties in fa this year... now i need to go look at atlantas and jacksonvilles o lines and see if theres any promising guys there itd make sense to trade for.

I think the browns will be a big target for us.. alex mack likely opts out.. so we should do all we can to bring him in.. thomas is giving every reason for him not to look like the bad guy when he asks for a trade eventually and the browns are frantically tryin to convince him to stay right now.

dogorama

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":1unn4wm0 said:
redhawk253":1unn4wm0 said:

The only way to have that "sweet spot" is to replace (get rid of) expensive players such as Wilson/thomas/sherman/chancelor with young draft picks.

The Hawks managed to get a Super Bowl win, but a number of bad trades and signings as well as our own guys getting more expensive erased any salary cap advantage we once had.

We are now just like any other team: our cap situation depends on which guys we get rid of to clear cap.

Totally agree with Bjorn, the maximum rookie salaries were designed to prevent wasting money on flops but also did more to create equality around the league. Same as free agency, soon as someone gets really good, their chance of being gone is pretty great. After you win a Super Bowl the only way you can remain SB contender for long is to have an elite QB/Coach/GM ala New England.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
redhawk253":2mxsy07r said:
Oh and i guarantee you both gus bradley and dan quinn would be willing to trade some nice picks/players to obtain avril from us at what is still a bargain price for a player of his caliber..

Thats why im not necessarily saying avril is gone or should be traded.. but it gives us that option.. we once again have one of the most talented rosters in the game and we will have cap space to go get more this offseason.

Im hopin we throw chancellor out the door in a trade as well.. that saves 4 mill in cap.. you know theres a lot of teams want him and theres some good safeties in fa this year... now i need to go look at atlantas and jacksonvilles o lines and see if theres any promising guys there itd make sense to trade for.

I think the browns will be a big target for us.. alex mack likely opts out.. so we should do all we can to bring him in.. thomas is giving every reason for him not to look like the bad guy when he asks for a trade eventually and the browns are frantically tryin to convince him to stay right now.

You sound board.

OP
OP
R

redhawk253

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":ajl4ce01 said:
redhawk253":ajl4ce01 said:

You sound board.
And you just might be dumb as a "board" lmao

OP
OP
R

redhawk253

Reaction score
dogorama":26vj3kfd said:
bjornanderson21":26vj3kfd said:
redhawk253":26vj3kfd said:

Totally agree with Bjorn, the maximum rookie salaries were designed to prevent wasting money on flops but also did more to create equality around the league. Same as free agency, soon as someone gets really good, their chance of being gone is pretty great. After you win a Super Bowl the only way you can remain SB contender for long is to have an elite QB/Coach/GM ala New England.
Clearly neither of you read what i typed.. you get 20 plus mill worth of player next year and the year after for about 2-3 ?mill per year.. that creates a 15 plus million dollar bonus to sign free agent talent at other positions...

I havent been in this place for a few years really and i swear to god i understand why the majority of the country dislikes our fans now.. the stupidity and lack of common sense in this place is literally astounding.

TwilightError

Reaction score
dogorama":1ua5eiba said:
bjornanderson21":1ua5eiba said:
redhawk253":1ua5eiba said:

All true dogorama, but I dont think this contradicts with what Redhawk is saying. We have elite QB/HC/GM and the only way to stay competitive even with that is successfully building through draft. While the 13 and 14 drafts were disappointments and I dont agree with trading the first picks, last year we had some home runs. Glowinski seems already starting caliber with loads of upside, Lockett, Rawls and Clark look like future stars and Sokoli has a chance. We have a good haul of picks for this springs draft and, with the number of FAs on the current roster, there are many positions we need some cheap starters for the near future. That means there is a lot to choose from. Schneider needs to prove prove his eliteness now. Two good drafts in a row would rise us back to top contenders for the next few years instantly.

dogorama

Reaction score
TwilightError":a5cso0np said:
dogorama":a5cso0np said:
bjornanderson21":a5cso0np said:
redhawk253":a5cso0np said:

All true dogorama, but I dont think this contradicts with what Redhawk is saying. We have elite QB/HC/GM and the only way to stay competitive even with that is successfully building through draft. While the 13 and 14 drafts were disappointments and I dont agree with trading the first picks, last year we had some home runs. Glowinski seems already starting caliber with loads of upside, Lockett, Rawls and Clark look like future stars and Sokoli has a chance. We have a good haul of picks for this springs draft and, with the number of FAs on the current roster, there are many positions we need some cheap starters for the near future. That means there is a lot to choose from. Schneider needs to prove prove his eliteness now. Two good drafts in a row would rise us back to top contenders for the next few years instantly.

The reason we were in such a fortunate situation in 2013 is because we were either smart enough or fortunate enough to have elite or near-elite players at rookie salaries ESPECIALLY at QB which frees up far more money than other positions - like 20 mil. To say we are in the same position now is pretty premature at best. Lockett looks like he may attain elite status but he's small and could be an injury casualty, Rawls did great in a fill in roll but it's way too early to tell how really good he is, and Clark has a long way to. Comparing the money we saved in 2013 isn't even close to accurate. And yes we have a great QB, GM, coach situation but as we have seen, they are anything but infallible. Truth is without some significant moves we are in a pretty tight cap situation.