What to do with Kam?

Russell4Prez

Reaction score
Curios what some of you think JS/PC should do with Kam? My impression when he returned was that he put his little temper tantrum on hold, meaning it's still an issue that he wants resolved. I think we can all agree that we don't want to go into next season with the possibility that he will hold out again. So, the question is, do you think JS/PC should pay him off or trade him?

Me? I think we should wait it out until at least after the draft and try to fill the future of the position through the draft, internally, and through free agency. Worst case we go into next year with McCray holding down that spot. He's not as physical as Kam (was?), but I think he did a serviceable job and could potentially take over for the next few years.

I just don't trust Kam to NOT do the same thing again next year if he doesn't get everything he wants. We can't afford that distraction again.

OP
OP
Russell4Prez

Russell4Prez

Reaction score
I want to add that Kam has been a strength of the defense over the last couple of years, but he doesn't seem willing to lay the wood like he used to and many teams have exposed him as a weakness in the passing game. Without the physical threat, he seems to be a pretty average SS.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Trade him. Softy was talking about it today, and thinks the Hawks can get a good haul for him. I'd have to agree.

I'm completely soured on Kam. I don't want to see him here next year.

Vetamur

Reaction score
Hard to say because none of us are going to have any idea what hes thinking.

If he has some good self awareness, maybe he comes away from this season knowing he regressed against the pass, had mental errors that were costly, and had relatively few impact plays. Maybe that makes him realize now isnt the time to chase more dollars, and rededicates himself to recapturing his previous form with the idea of getting more money next offseason.

Maybe he doesnt. Maybe he makes excuses, or doesnt think the lapses were a big deal..still wants more money despite diminishing production.

What the team should do really depends on how he responds. If hes not the same and isnt going to get back to what he was obviously trade him. It really didnt matter this year , late in the year, whether it was him or the back up because as the OP said there was little BAM from Kam anyway.. so it was just a matter of having a decent guy back there, which his back up was.

If hes ready to be his old self again, keep him.

Hopefully JS and PC can tell where he is at mentally.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
On this one I'm going to trust management as they have a better pulse of the team than we do. Kams a leader, Beast was a leader, losing both in one offseason could be huge, or it might be what the team needs. I don't know. I do think his play wasn't at the level that it had been at in the past, nor did he seem to be the difference maker he could be but missing that much time, i've seen it many times in sports that you get a late jump the season never quite comes together for you. I was very soured by the holdout so to say my emotions are all over the place is an understatement. Whatever JS and Pete decide I have to believe they know that info much better than we could hope to and make the best choice.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":1yn7lcfv said:
Trade him. Softy was talking about it today, and thinks the Hawks can get a good haul for him. I'd have to agree.

I'm completely soured on Kam. I don't want to see him here next year.
I don't think you can get a haul for him at all. Especially the way he played this year. Now had he played as his physically imposing self then I think we could.

I think it's best to hang onto him and hope this year was him being in a funk as it seamed Earl was as well.

Hopefully he plays well for us cause I think after his performance this year he is worth more to us on the field then what he could garner in a trade.

Wizofwest

Reaction score
As fans it is hard to separate business football from the game of football. Kam felt/feels underpaid for his services. So he held out impacting the game of football for us, the fans. I agree he didn't lay the wood on opposing players like past years. Don't know why...didn't want to hurt himself or maybe he just saw what has been happening in the NFL. Brutal hits are penalized even if they are clean. That happened a lot this year. So maybe physical players had trouble finding that middle ground.
I'm hoping he finds that middle ground here with the Hawks along with settling the business side so both parties are happy. He is a leader and an intimidator on our defense. We need him back.

2_0_6

Reaction score
We would be lucky to get a 4th round pick for him. If someone offered anything better in value, we would be silly to pass it up.

razor150

Reaction score
My personal opinion, if he indicates he is going to hold out again just tell him that he is being traded and allow him to look for someone willing to pay his price. Given how he played this year he isn't worth the distraction.

King Dog

Reaction score
Me personally? I like Kam. However, I thought McCray played fine in his absence. If it comes down to Kam wanting 8M or whatever, I'm fine with trading him, or releasing him and putting that money towards the offensive line.

RussB

Reaction score
Let him play another year and see what he can still do with a full training camp. Mccray is seemed legit so its not that bad if they let him go either.

massari

Reaction score
If Chancellor threatens to hold out again, trade him for whatever you can get, whether it's a 1st+ or just a 2nd and draft a top SS this year like Jayron Kearse, Jeremy Cash, Vonn Bell ect or sign a free agent with some of Chancellors money .

Same goes for Bennett. If he threatens, trade him for a high pick(s) and draft a quality younger, cheaper DE/DT replacement or sign a free agent with his money.

They'd be better off getting cheap, young talent than adding to the Salary cap.

FreshlySnipes

Reaction score
We need to do whatever we can to keep Kam. He is the backbone of our defense. The soul, the hard hitter.

I think his lack of production this season was from the injuries he was dealing with and the bullshit contract stuff at the beginning of the year.

Get him healthy and the old Kam will come back!

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I think some believe the Hawks would get a lot for him. He didn't have a great year and IMO has lost a step... Or two.

Perhaps he is banged up or has some chronic issues.

So given he is one of the highest paid SS I don't think we would get much maybe a 4 or 5.

I'd draft a SS see how he looks in camp and plan on keeping him. If his head is not in it or he is physically dropped off then trade or cut.

calihawk

Reaction score
I would trade him , there isn't anymore legion going on.He proved to be a knuckle head and I wouldn't give him another chance to hold out. The coach will probably give him some money and hope for the best.

massari

Reaction score
Happypuppy":266df6d8 said:
I think some believe the Hawks would get a lot for him. He didn't have a great year and IMO has lost a step... Or two.

Perhaps he is banged up or has some chronic issues.

So given he is one of the highest paid SS I don't think we would get much maybe a 4 or 5.

I'd draft a SS see how he looks in camp and plan on keeping him. If his head is not in it or he is physically dropped off then trade or cut.
Even if a 4th or 5th is his value, I'd be fine with that since they'd get a prospect and a free agent(s) with his money.

Just don't give him or Bennett a raise. Unless they pay it under the table.

OP
OP
Russell4Prez

Russell4Prez

Reaction score
massari":1cqzb17a said:
Just don't give him or Bennett a raise. Unless they pay it under the table.

Wait, what does that mean?! Under the table? :shock:

uncle fester

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":30e8egiw said:
Trading Kam would be bad for team chemistry.

^^ Glad somebody said it. ^^

McCray did a great job - for the most part - in his stead, but those shoes may be too big to fill.