Jermaine Kearse won't give hometown discount to Seahawks

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I have no problem whatsoever with what he says.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
It makes sense to try to get as much as you want. Maybe his agent was concerned that some teams would not make serious offers if they thought he would take less to stay in Seattle. It was probably embarrassing for the Bears when Michael Bennett took less to stay.

sutz

Reaction score
Can't really blame him. Would love to see him stay, but the team has to look at the big picture.

If he gets a big payday elsewhere, more power to him.

Fade

Reaction score
massari":3eadhm0b said:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14617205/jermaine-kearse-give-hometown-discount-stay-seattle-seahawks

Ingrate.

Just kidding, I just hope he breaks the bank somewhere else so the Seahawks get a comp pick. The Hawks have plenty of Receivers.

Baldwin
Lockett
Richardson
Kevin Smith
Kasen Williams

Jimmy Graham should be playing, and can lineup at receiver.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
It bugs me when people ask these questions. Why should anyone give their team a hometown discount? Football is dfferent than other sports. Players should go for the money.

Seymour

Reaction score
He is also likely to be making about half of what Irvin gets, so there is less $$ to discount.

Irvin making statements like he did sound good to the home team, but it's not a smart statement to make (big surprise), and when it boils down to signing one contract or the other, the bigger one will get signed.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Irvin's words sounded genuine and I don't think it's smart enough to be a ploy to get someone to blow him away. Kearse's market will probably be lukewarm at best. I could actually see Kearse at the team he had a career game against. The Ravens might be an option, and even the Pats. Despite what he says I think these teams would have to offer significantly more than us and I see his market as around $4m.

Barthawk

Reaction score
hawknation2016":bpnhyq4x said:
It makes sense to try to get as much as you want. Maybe his agent was concerned that some teams would not make serious offers if they thought he would take less to stay in Seattle. It was probably embarrassing for the Bears when Michael Bennett took less to stay.

How much less was it? Would that cost difference be made up by the fact that his family wanted to stay in Seattle and there is no state income tax in WA? Never did see actual numbers from CHI, only what Bennett says he took from Seattle instead of CHI.

mrt144

Reaction score
Fade":2g4h8hr5 said:
massari":2g4h8hr5 said:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14617205/jermaine-kearse-give-hometown-discount-stay-seattle-seahawks

Ingrate.

Just kidding, I just hope he breaks the bank somewhere else so the Seahawks get a comp pick. The Hawks have plenty of Receivers.

Baldwin
Lockett
Richardson
Kevin Smith
Kasen Williams

Jimmy Graham run blocks like an old lady and while could line up at WR what indicates, given the OC, that he would do so consistently.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Barthawk":2ncz4z18 said:
hawknation2016":2ncz4z18 said:

How much less was it? Would that cost difference be made up by the fact that his family wanted to stay in Seattle and there is no state income tax in WA? Never did see actual numbers from CHI, only what Bennett says he took from Seattle instead of CHI.

Until there's a signature on the dotted line, all these numbers are unofficial. So we're left to take Bennett's word for it:

‘‘The Bears offered me way more money,’’ he said. ‘‘But it just came down to just being on the team. I knew we would be back in the situation if I came back — and look, I was right.’’
http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/7/71 ... ears-tough

seahawks187

Reaction score
I hope the best for kearse.. Dude was undrafted and was able to find production in a run first offense. He deserves whatever he is going to get and I wish him nothing but success. Same goes for Irvin.

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
If he leaves to play elsewhere for more money, then it makes sense for both sides involved. Kearse deserves to get paid after being undrafted and Seahawks also shouldn't have a hard time replacing #3 WR. Win-win for both sides, I wish him nothing but the best.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Good on him for answering (what IMO is an obnoxious question) honestly.

If you value your employer more than your employer values you then you either don't have a lot of options or are a sucker, IMO.

12thbrah

Reaction score
Kearse made some huge plays for us but he's at best the 3rd most valuable receiver on this team right now. God bless him for trying to make as much money as he can playing football.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Fade":2qfn97si said:
massari":2qfn97si said:

Ingrate.

Baldwin
Lockett
Richardson
Kevin Smith
Kasen Williams

Saying "plenty of WR's" is a huge stretch. We have no idea what Graham will look like post injury.. Richardson hasn't stayed healthy.. Kevin Smith and Kasen Williams haven't shown anything special in games of importance.

That leaves two guys on the roster you know are capable. I'd much rather have Kearse back than a comp pick.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Popeyejones":452gjpf0 said:
Good on him for answering (what IMO is an obnoxious question) honestly.

If you value your employer more than your employer values you then you either don't have a lot of options or are a sucker, IMO.

For example, Joe Staley left probably $20 million on the table (6 yr(s) / $44.6 million vs. the 6 yr(s) / $65 million he was worth) -- which would make him one of the biggest suckers around, per your definition.

That's another thing you can think Harbaugh for, since I doubt Staley would have accepted such a 'stingy' extension had the 49ers not been coming off three-consecutive seasons of Super Bowl contention.

Happiness is sometimes more important than money. Too bad things can change fast in the NFL.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I expect Kearse's value on the open market will be in the neighborhood of $4.5M/year, which is what Baldwin got a couple of years ago.

We could afford that provided Marshwan is cut, Okung leaves in FA, same with Mebane, and the same with Irvin.