Kevin Smith

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I would like to address a few things about Kevin Smith:

1) How did he look in practice and what's your opinion on his gameday performance? I know there's not a lot to go by, but I'm curious to see how other people see him.

2) Where do you think he'll be next year? Playing again? Practice squad? On another team? I'm not sure about all the rules and know nothing about his current obligations.

3) Did anyone else notice how animated and emotionally involved in the game he appears to be on the sidelines? It seems like every time there was a play to the sidelines where the team was, he would be out in front jumping up and down and making gestures and just totally appearing to be invested in what was happening on the field. Somebody may have some GIFs of him doing that and if you can post them that would be awesome. I absolutely loved seeing him so involved.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
So, what you are saying is you want me to watch all our games again that I have recorded and see the awesomeness that is our team at work, and not so much (both sides of the coin as it were). And then look on the sideline for K Smiff and see if I can find stuff about him.....Ok I am good with that. Nothing to do for the next 2 months or so anyway. :mrgreen:

OP
OP
fenderbender123

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Thanks lol.

Or if anybody can recall anything...I always go by memory because there's less work involved that way.

samwize77

Reaction score
To your question of his side line enthusiasms....yes, I saw several times right where the play was and yes, he was always quite animated.

crosfam

Reaction score
He looked like a pretty decent returner behind Locket. Maybe a 4-5th receiver, that has the upside to maybe move up to 3rd. He did stay healthy.

kearly

Reaction score
Kevin Smith is a fairly similar player to Jermaine Kearse. Big body, good body control, good at high pointing the ball, makes good cuts on his routes, and is solid on the scramble drill. If Kearse leaves in UFA, it will be an opportunity for Smith to step in and battle for that 3rd WR role. Smith is also good on specials and brings a vocal presence, which helps.

Smith was an unsung hero at UW, and one of our best players in the preseason, but his regular season performance left a lot to be desired for me. He needs to get better, but he has the potential to be Jermaine Kearse 2.0 if he can polish his game.

I hope Kearse stays this offseason, but it wouldn't shock me if the FO liked Smith enough to feel Kearse is expendable.

HawkerD

Reaction score
I saw a comment from either Bevell or the WR coach that said KSmith had learned all three of the WR positions which was pretty impressive and that it was allowing him to get more playing time than say KWilliams who was strictly a back up for Kearse.

I think the Hawks are doing OK as far as receivers go with Graham coming back, even if Kearse departs. Agree with the poster that call KSmith a Kearse 2.0. KWilliams might have some upside as well. Its not a place we should spend a lot more money until the OLine woes are taken care of

gowazzu02

Reaction score
fenderbender123":uhwt9yhk said:
I would like to address a few things about Kevin Smith:

1) How did he look in practice and what's your opinion on his gameday performance? I know there's not a lot to go by, but I'm curious to see how other people see him.

2) Where do you think he'll be next year? Playing again? Practice squad? On another team? I'm not sure about all the rules and know nothing about his current obligations.

3) Did anyone else notice how animated and emotionally involved in the game he appears to be on the sidelines? It seems like every time there was a play to the sidelines where the team was, he would be out in front jumping up and down and making gestures and just totally appearing to be invested in what was happening on the field. Somebody may have some GIFs of him doing that and if you can post them that would be awesome. I absolutely loved seeing him so involved.

Kevin is that you??? LOL

The poster that said he reminds them of Kearse poses an interesting question. I think Kearse is the type of player you can't keep and Smith might be the new/ cheap Kearse type. Too bad he's a dirty mangy mutt too..... :stirthepot:

bigDhawk

Reaction score
If Kearse was a distant 4th receiver behind Baldwin, NoE, and a healthy Jimmy, then Smith will see even fewer targets in that same role.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I liked Smith's returns in the preseason. Smith showed promise at WR in his regular season and playoff game appearances, but the sample size is so small I can't yet compare his game with Kearse's. With Kearse poised to get his best payday yet, maybe not with the Seahawks, Kevin Smith could become an important player next season, maybe a lower $$ version of Kearse.

Kearse provides us that deep threat and has incredible chemistry with Wilson and terrific football smarts. (Part of why he and Wilson are on the same page) I frankly expect us to lose Kearse over $$ and plug some combo of KSmith or KWill into that role, as salary cap bargains.

I'm just hoping that KSmith can develop something like the chemistry that Kearse had with Russell Wilson. To learn all 3 receiver positions as he did, surely he has the football smarts to work with.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
olyfan63":23hp6tv9 said:
I liked Smith's returns in the preseason. Smith showed promise at WR in his regular season and playoff game appearances, but the sample size is so small I can't yet compare his game with Kearse's. With Kearse poised to get his best payday yet, maybe not with the Seahawks, Kevin Smith could become an important player next season, maybe a lower $$ version of Kearse.

Kearse provides us that deep threat and has incredible chemistry with Wilson and terrific football smarts. (Part of why he and Wilson are on the same page) I frankly expect us to lose Kearse over $$ and plug some combo of KSmith or KWill into that role, as salary cap bargains.

I'm just hoping that KSmith can develop something like the chemistry that Kearse had with Russell Wilson. To learn all 3 receiver positions as he did, surely he has the football smarts to work with.

I Richardson comes back healthy (big if!), perhaps the coaches can concentrate on having Smith become more proficient with force feeding him.

Hawks46

Reaction score
kearly":2h9npxm6 said:
Kevin Smith is a fairly similar player to Jermaine Kearse. Big body, good body control, good at high pointing the ball, makes good cuts on his routes, and is solid on the scramble drill. If Kearse leaves in UFA, it will be an opportunity for Smith to step in and battle for that 3rd WR role. Smith is also good on specials and brings a vocal presence, which helps.

Smith was an unsung hero at UW, and one of our best players in the preseason, but his regular season performance left a lot to be desired for me. He needs to get better, but he has the potential to be Jermaine Kearse 2.0 if he can polish his game.

I hope Kearse stays this offseason, but it wouldn't shock me if the FO liked Smith enough to feel Kearse is expendable.

Beat me to it. Smith is actually better than Kearse on ST, and this gives the team the luxury of letting Kearse test the open market.

If Kearse leaves, I see Smith and Kasen Williams competing for that spot. And it's possible both could be an upgrade. I really like Williams' upside.

Seafan

Reaction score
As a fourth receiver I doubt Kearse would be willing to take the kind of offer he'll likely receive from the Hawks.

PRich, KSmith and KWill and possibly RLock will be enough competition for that position.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
olyfan63":1nfk13pn said:

Hopefully all prospective suitors will remember are his 'sure hands' during the NFCC with GB, and forget all about his resiliency in catching the winning TD. He'd be forced to accept our lowball offer, and like it! :white_flag: :twisted: NAW, I hope he gets his payday. :th2thumbs: