Lynch is ‘leaning toward retirement,’ says Seahawks GM

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
SEATTLE – Marshawn Lynch’s days in the NFL could be over, Seattle Seahawks general manager John Schneider said Friday on 710 ESPN’s “Brock and Salk Show.”

Schneider said the team is going to give Lynch some breathing room.

“We’re gonna treat him with as much respect as we possibly can here, and give him a little leeway to find his way in terms of what he wants to do,” he said. “I’m under the impression that he’s leaning toward retirement. “

http://q13fox.com/2016/01/22/marshawn-l ... schneider/

keatonisballin

Reaction score
It would make me very sad if that really was his last game. I wanted him to go out in a blaze of glory. But I think if he were to stay for next year he would have another season like this past one. Injury filled and under performing compared to what we're used to.

But if that was hist last game, I am glad he wants to retire with us. I can only imagine the awesome ovation he will get at a game next year.

kidhawk

Reaction score
This doesn't surprise me in the least. I'd have been more surprised had there been an announcement of his playing next year for sure at this point.

I believe he really wanted to come back for one more ring. I think the surgery may have him thinking twice, or perhaps it was a one season win or lose kind of thing for him. Hard to know for sure.

One thing though, if/when he does retire, I do hope it's in a Seahawks uniform and if that means he retires now, then I'm ok with that. He's more than earned the monies he's made in his tenure as a Seahawk.

Seahawker86

Reaction score
Marshawn Lynch has been my favorite Seahawks to watch since Bobby Engram was extending drives on third downs.

Most of me wants him to retire to save the 6-7 million so we can build towards the future.

The selfish part of me wants him to come back next.

The dreamer in me wants him to come back for less money....

Ok I'm going to go with i want him back. He was I jured guys and our O-line wasn't what it was when he was healthy.

No wait....I really like Thomas Rawls....

Ugh I'm torn

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
I think that is probably best for his body TBH....The last few years he has been fighting back pain and has been getting a little injury here and there.

The other good thing is we dont have to cut him and correct me if im wrong but if he retires dont we have 11.5 million come off the cap since he is no longer playing or could it still be structured to where even if he is retired we still have to pay?

Throwdown

Reaction score
With as much as we've used him since he's been here I'd bet his body is tired and a bit run down.

Whatever he chooses I'm down with, marshawn will forever be loved by the fans and the organization.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":l2pbrq9n said:
I think that is probably best for his body TBH....The last few years he has been fighting back pain and has been getting a little injury here and there.

The other good thing is we dont have to cut him and correct me if im wrong but if he retires dont we have 11.5 million come off the cap since he is no longer playing or could it still be structured to where even if he is retired we still have to pay?

No we save 6.5 million

kearly

Reaction score
A football game is full of dead time, and action only happens in small bursts. Though a game technically lasts an hour of game clock, in terms of time spent actually playing, it's probably only about 10-15 minutes a game.

It's funny, because in those little 7 second slivers that add up to 10+ minutes, Marshawn played harder than anybody. But the rest of the time, he was in seemingly ambivalent or in his own little world. In the moment, Marshawn has a love of the game. But between games, or even between plays, I'm not so sure he did. Sure he loved his teammates and all that, but the game, not as much.

He did an interview with Conan O'brien before the season. Conan asked him why he came back. Lynch said money was the reason.

And personally, I don't begrudge Marshawn for that at all. He gave us everything he had, even if it was in his own weird little way. But by the end of the Carolina game, with Lynch not even hustling to get off the field for a substitution when his team was in hurry up mode to come back in the game, it was pretty clear that Lynch's heart wasn't in the game anymore. And if his heart isn't in the game, he should do the wise thing and move on to the next chapter in his life. This is a good place for him to retire if he chooses to do so.

Seymour

Reaction score
kearly":34u6g4ho said:
A football game is full of dead time, and action only happens in small bursts. Though a game technically lasts an hour of game clock, in terms of time spent actually playing, it's probably only about 10-15 minutes a game.

It's funny, because in those little 7 second slivers that add up to 10+ minutes, Marshawn played harder than anybody. But the rest of the time, he was in seemingly ambivalent or in his own little world. In the moment, Marshawn has a love of the game. But between games, or even between plays, I'm not so sure he did. Sure he loved his teammates and all that, but the game, not as much.

He did an interview with Conan O'brien before the season. Conan asked him why he came back. Lynch said money was the reason.

And personally, I don't begrudge Marshawn for that at all. He gave us everything he had, even if it was in his own weird little way. But by the end of the Carolina game, with Lynch not even hustling to get off the field for a substitution when his team was in hurry up mode to come back in the game, it was pretty clear that Lynch's heart wasn't in the game anymore. And if his heart isn't in the game, he should do the wise thing and move on to the next chapter in his life. This is a good place for him to retire if he chooses to do so.

The bolded section is 100% impossible because I read it right here! He played and sacrificed himself for his team and the fans. Money had nothing to do with this!

That said, this is the easy way out. Hopefully the silly HOF talk dies now too but doubt it.

Thank you Marshawn....and Goodbye.

edogg23

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":1u0twgul said:

I think we would only save the whole amount of cap space if the team made him pay back this years portion of his signing bonus, which I would think is a 0% chance.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
edogg23":24w6mvb4 said:
WilsonMVP":24w6mvb4 said:

I think we would only save the whole amount of cap space if the team made him pay back this years portion of his signing bonus, which I would think is a 0% chance.

AH Ok...I wasnt sure if some of his actual cap hit was allready guaranteed no matter what even if he retires or if we would get ALL of it back to use.

So basically if we cut him or he retires the ammount it effects our cap would be the same?

HawkerD

Reaction score
Would have loved to see him play this year with an Oline that was even just average. The number of times he was hit in the backfield is staggering and should embarrass the crap out of the Oline guru/Asst. head coach.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Wishful thinking on Schneider's part. If Lynch makes his retirement official, then he owes back his 5M signing bonus.

So that ain't happening, he's gonna make the Hawks release him so he can keep his cash.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Can he retire, then during the season ... unretire and sign for the vet minimum?
I mean .. can he retire and come back 1/2 way through the season and the playoffs?

chris98251

Reaction score
I think the injury, rehab to get back, the way the last game went took a lot out of him, a Vet like him takes time to de fuse from a season and his was not typical leaving a lot of questions in his mind I am sure, 60 to 90 days when he can separate football and feel better I would expect him to have a better picture of what he really wants to do.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":3q8hgz0s said:
edogg23":3q8hgz0s said:
WilsonMVP":3q8hgz0s said:

AH Ok...I wasnt sure if some of his actual cap hit was allready guaranteed no matter what even if he retires or if we would get ALL of it back to use.

So basically if we cut him or he retires the ammount it effects our cap would be the same?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... retirement

Couldn't really find anything with much clarity. If we cut Marshawn we save 6.5 million. If Lynch retires he has to pay us back 5 million in bonus. So does this mean we should just go ahead and cut him?

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":zjbjw7h7 said:
So basically if we cut him or he retires the amount it effects our cap would be the same?
Theoretically, if he retires the team could pursue getting back the prorated portion of his signing bonus ($5M total)... but practically speaking, that is unlikely because it would likely be contentious, and does the team really want to alienate Marshawn? I'd say not.

If the team cuts him, they can not try to recover the $5M.

m0ng0

Reaction score
I would love for Lynch to retire a Seahawk, however I would not be willing to pay his salary next year for him to do so.