Is Fred Jackson retiring?

Erebus

Reaction score
I have assumed all along that he was retiring, but haven't heard anything to confirm. If he doesn't retire, was his blocking and catching ability worth enough to bring him back? If he moves on (and Lynch does too), I think we'll need a veteran RB skilled at picking up blitzes instead of a draft pick. Rawls and Michael don't offer enough experience at the position, IMO.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Just for purposes of discussion. Michael's contract is up at the end of the league year.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":3fn1n7qb said:
Just for purposes of discussion. Michael's contract is up at the end of the league year.

But he's also a RFA so we could tender him if we so choose. Not saying we will, but the ball is in our court.

timmat

Reaction score
Here's the problem I see with going after a good, solid veteran. Anyone who's still a good player is going to command maybe around $4 million. We'll be eating around $5 million in dead cap money on Lynch as I understand it even if he's not here. The total investment in a veteran at the position then would be around $9 million. That's approaching the cap hit on just keeping Lynch.

If Lynch decides to not retire and play next year, and we cut him, it makes no sense to me from a financial standpoint to then go out and get a good veteran running back. If we're going to cut Lynch for cap reasons, it only makes sense to find RB depth on the cheap, which would mean the draft or a scrap heap guy. Otherwise, you might as well keep Beast.

sutz

Reaction score
kidhawk":2i1lknrq said:
Basis4day":2i1lknrq said:

But he's also a RFA so we could tender him if we so choose. Not saying we will, but the ball is in our court.
I believe he would be an EFA IIR some commentary around here. Technicality, I guess, but it stills leaves us with a hold on him if we want to match any offers.

As for Fred, I think I would like to keep him as a 3rd down back if something doesn't pop up in the draft/TC/pre-season. Seems like the kind of guy you want on your team, and I think he would still be hungry for that elusive ring. He might want one more stab, and he contributed a lot to the team as a 3rd down back IMHO. Obviously, money is a question to be worked out, but I still think he could contribute.

kearly

Reaction score
It's up to Jackson, but I would think he'd come back if Seattle asked him. If he retired and Seattle won it all next season, I imagine that would bum him out.

Personally, I see no reason to not bring him back. Age has yet to diminish his blocking and receiving ability, and as a runner he's still competent.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
What I like about him is the group at RB will be really young. A respected vet can help a lot. Look what MRob did. He seemed like a true pro

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Eh, maybe for a veteran minimum contract to compete in camp.

Honestly I love Jackson, he seems like a really good dude, family man, and great teammate.........but the quickness and allusiveness that was his thing in Buffalo seemed to be gone here.

Me thinks his friendship and mentorship with Lynch seemed to be the biggest reason we brought Jackson in, much like Mike Rob, Pete and John wanted a veteran that Lynch connected with to kind of keep him in check.

Seymour

Reaction score
Jackson stays. He still is the fastest guy on the team from the stop sign to the planter box.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Jackson has to be gone. They need an upgrade at the 3rd down/receiving back position. Hoping the kid from UCLA gets drafted by Seattle but regardless I think they make an effort to get a little more dynamic at that position.

I love Jackson so this isn't a knock on him.

stang233

Reaction score
OMG why would we bring him back. He is a superior blocker but arguably the slowest player on the field.

massari

Reaction score
Erebus":3o8zceq9 said:
I have assumed all along that he was retiring, but haven't heard anything to confirm. If he doesn't retire, was his blocking and catching ability worth enough to bring him back? If he moves on (and Lynch does too), I think we'll need a veteran RB skilled at picking up blitzes instead of a draft pick. Rawls and Michael don't offer enough experience at the position, IMO.
Some free agent options for 3rd down RB are Bobby Rainey, Jacquizz Rodgers, Lance Dunbar(if healthy), Knowshon Moreno(if healthy). All these guys should be relatively cheap to sign.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Successful teams like to keep continuity at each position. Fred has always been an asset to our team. Seems to me that he plays at his "full speed"....even though it may not be as fast a some would like.