Votes: 3 6.5%
  • No training camp.

Votes: 19 41.3%
  • Other

Votes: 24 52.2%

• Total voters

RussB

Reaction score
He was still solid, made some big plays (the AP fumble, detroit fumble). But in coverage he really took a step back this season, and just didnt play like the previous years in general

Was this becuase he is past prime or because he missed training camp?

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
He is definitely not past his prime. At least I don't feel he is.

The real reason for his holdout will not be found out. So, I'm taking "other". As in "it was another reason other than the one you will hear.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Not being there for TC did not help but I think his down year was mainly due to a mental blockage. I feel the whole contract situation, how he was perceived, his coming off injury and his focus were all factors, but nothing more important than how I believe he "pulled up" on his explosive, bone-jarring hitting style as both a statement to the front office (if you're not going to pay me what I want for putting my body on the line, I'm not going to put my body on the line) and likely his fear that if he keeps up that style of play, he won't be in the NFL for much longer making a new contract moot.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Coming off a significant injury + missing training camp with the ill advised hold out.

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
You can't have a god-like season every year. It's just the reality of it. I am not sure why Seahawk fans assume that a human being would play the exact same caliber of football every season. It has never been the case and isn't the case.

JJ Watt was unreal last year but didn't have as a good of a season this year. Are people saying he isn't as good or that he lost a step?

If a player has a magical season...guess what, it is hard to replicate it.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
I believe he never fully healed from last year's injuries. He surely wasn't the same hitter, this year.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
While he may not have healed fully....it may have lead to the decrease in the intensity of his on field play. Football is a mental game.

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
fridayfrenzy":1zyw6ll8 said:
You can't have a god-like season every year. It's just the reality of it. I am not sure why Seahawk fans assume that a human being would play the exact same caliber of football every season. It has never been the case and isn't the case.

JJ Watt was unreal last year but didn't have as a good of a season this year. Are people saying he isn't as good or that he lost a step?

To be fair JJ watt still led the league in sacks .

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
Aros":oqhjfycs said:
Not being there for TC did not help but I think his down year was mainly due to a mental blockage. I feel the whole contract situation, how he was perceived, his coming off injury and his focus were all factors, but nothing more important than how I believe he "pulled up" on his explosive, bone-jarring hitting style as both a statement to the front office (if you're not going to pay me what I want for putting my body on the line, I'm not going to put my body on the line) and likely his fear that if he keeps up that style of play, he won't be in the NFL for much longer making a new contract moot.
Good point........

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":3gehbjyw said:
Kris Richard
Why does everyone think richard is responsible for so many defensive problems this year? Kam still played the same exact role he did for dan quinn. Like sherman said "the defense is the same its always been".

redhawk253

Reaction score
Because his legs are gone.. he lost 2 or 3 steps..

And yall wonder why he was on a money grab holdin out...

Duhhhhh he knew it before anyone else did.

kearly

Reaction score
Players around the league have a history of suffering down years after beginning the season with a holdout. I think he'll be fine.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
RussB":l3tcjp77 said:
Zebulon Dak":l3tcjp77 said:
Kris Richard
Why does everyone think richard is responsible for so many defensive problems this year? Kam still played the same exact role he did for dan quinn. Like sherman said "the defense is the same its always been".

But it's not the same. Richard introduced more zone concepts into what we do this year. Players like Sherm will always choose the high road, and make it more about execution. Case in point: Doug Baldwin said the offense hasn't changed at all, when the coaches had already said they changed things to allow more intermediate routes and quicker release times.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
kearly":3ripj30g said:
Players around the league have a history of suffering down years after beginning the season with a holdout. I think he'll be fine.

+1. Not everyone can be a Walter Jones.

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
RussB":33vio6pw said:
fridayfrenzy":33vio6pw said:

To be fair JJ watt still led the league in sacks .

His sacks decreased. His INTs decreased. His TDs decreased. JJ Watt is still awesome but he didn't have as good of year compared to the prior year, similar to Chancellor.

A player isn't going to have a career year every season.

NorCalSeahawk

Reaction score
I would go with other, I think it was a combo of multiple things. I think his body was beat up after a huge amount of big hits and back to back deep playoff runs and a shorter offseason to recover. His head wasn't there mentally after his holdout and money issues (in his mind) and maybe there was some small issues with some teammates after his holdout cost them a chance to get off to a better start the first few weeks of the season. I would also say he might have just lost a step as he gets older, but with a healthy offseason and chance to heal up a bit I could see him coming back and having a good year to prove last year was just a off year.

Then again, I could see the team moving on from him if he wants to play the money and contract game again this offseason. The team really needs to have a quite and productive offseason (good draft, resign, restructure and sign some worth while RFA and FA, and just get some key parts healthy). I also think the coaches not leaving this offseason (i.e, Bradley and Quinn) will be big towards next season success with some players.