Sando: Re-signing Kearse, Lane Not Priorities

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
"Because Russell Wilson showed this season that No. 1 he can produce at a high level without an established running back, and No. 2 even without Jimmy Graham, Doug Baldwin and Tyler Lockett look like real keepers, real good players, guys you can feature in the offense, I don't think you want to extend yourself for Jermaine Kearse. If he wants to be there and the price is right, great. But don't pay a premium at those two positions where I think they're just going to be fine."

http://mynorthwest.com/292/2899390/ESPN ... priorities

Cyrus12

Reaction score
hmmm...who is available at CB besides Cary Williams. At least with Lane you know what you get. Simon will be hurt by training camp. I think Kearse is replaceable if the price is too high. Still need a big man at the WR position imo...just like every year it seems.

chris98251

Reaction score
CB we have like three guys in the wings, one on PS, Simon on IR as well as another guy we signed and stuck right away on PS. Our leverage is there as well as the ability to fill it.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
The Nebraska CB, who was drafted by the Saints. Don't remember his name.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
joeseahawks":3jupvu29 said:

He will be starting at right tackle next season

-bsd

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I'd be worried about losing Lane. I like Kearse too but we have other priorities and we have to get Paul Richardson on the field if we are going to keep him.

mort

Reaction score
JK made so many unbelievable magic man catches, I'd so hate to see him go, but realistically he's not priority.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Aros":190aw0s6 said:
"Because Russell Wilson showed this season that No. 1 he can produce at a high level without an established running back, and No. 2 even without Jimmy Graham, Doug Baldwin and Tyler Lockett look like real keepers, real good players, guys you can feature in the offense, I don't think you want to extend yourself for Jermaine Kearse. If he wants to be there and the price is right, great. But don't pay a premium at those two positions where I think they're just going to be fine."

http://mynorthwest.com/292/2899390/ESPN ... priorities
Welcome to the Big Boy Club. Brady and Rodgers deal with this every year. Depending on injury sometimes it works and sometimes not. Hope he's wrong about Lane though. He's solid and can be trusted not to totally give a game away by himself.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
The Seahawks drafted Tye Smith in the 5th Round and they remain very high on him. There were comparisons made to his overall skillset and the way he plays to Richard Sherman ...

[youtube]v0xsKYLRvTE[/youtube]

And during the season, the Seahawks picked up Stanley Jean-Baptiste out of Nebraska, who had been drafted by the Saints in the 2nd round of the 2014 NFL draft. They have him stashed on their practice squad currently. This guy is 6'3" 220 pounds, ran a 4.45 on his pro day, and sports a vertical of 41.5". He has is a very talented CB and frankly I was quite surprised the Saints cut him loose ...

[youtube]3cqnT3rumXg[/youtube]

I don't want to see Lane go either, but with Shead and these guys already in the fold (not to mention the upcoming draft where I'd envision us picking up another CB somewhere in there), I honestly think we'd still be fine if he chose to leave via FA.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Ty Smith has nearly identical measureables to Lane and has the same style of play. He's almost nothing like Sherman.

As far as Kearse is concerned, you have to put some effort into resigning him. The Hawks have no outside threat that can win with the ball in the air if he's not there. He even had more success with that aspect of his game that did Jimmy Graham this year, who really doesn't play on the outside as much as we would like because of our core commitment to the running game. If you let Kearse go you have to replace that security blanket that RW so very obviously and vocally trusts.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
I think it is pretty clear to me that offensive line is by far our #1 priority this offseason. Russell with time is basically as elite as it gets. So I think we prioritize money and draft picks toward that and then look at who else we can afford.

I think Irvin gets a reasonable offer. I think Lane is good but we have lots of young talent hanging around and an ability to develop DBs so I don't expect them not to go too hard at Lane - not for CB FA money.

Kearse will probably dip his toe in the FA water with an idea of what the Seahawks would offer and if someone beats that offer substantially - I expect him to jet.

I expect a WR to be picked in the 2-4 round and 1 or 2 OL during that span as well. We also need DTs - so I expect a couple of them in this draft.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Kennedyin92":eoyn0z8t said:
joeseahawks":eoyn0z8t said:

Seisay?
Pete said George Farmer(PS) is solidly in the mix. Wish I knew more about the kid.

raisethe3

Reaction score
I am not worry about losing Kearse or Lane. I mean we have Seisay, Simon, Tye Smith and Stanley Jean-Baptiste. I think Seattle can find another receiver to replace Kearse. Its time for these young guys to step up and shine now.

I predict Sherman, Thomas, Kam (or some else at SS), and Stanley Jean Baptiste as the starting DBs for 2016. I was going to say Simon, but realized how injury prone that dude is.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I would rather keep Lane over Kearse, and I like Kearse, but we are better off at the WR position then we are at CB as we all saw the Cary Williams Effect in full display <<<shudder>>>...Lane is good and could potentially be very good.

But as stated, this offseason's #1 priority is OL, period. NOTHING is more vital than that to me. Yes there are other areas to build up and deal with no doubt, but OL is at the top and it's not even close.