The Next Step For Russ

Optimus25

Reaction score
In my opinion, is learning how to avoid sacks the way brady did yesterday.

With Russ it's complicated because he is instantly processing whether or not to escape and run, etc. But sometimes Russ is just dead to rights and he still doesn't unload the ball. Other times he unloads it but has waited too long and it becomes a fairly obvious grounding because he's out of viable options at that point in terms of where he could put the ball. The Norman sack still haunts me for example, because he clearly could have spiked it a few yards around lynch to live for the next down.

While it may have evolved as a a survival mechanism due to his immobility, the way brady can put a ball at least in the vicinity of a receiver while being dragged down is worth emulating by us considering the offensive line dilemma. This facet, or lack thereof, in russ's game, certainly cost us the fake punt drive against Carolina IMO.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I think one thing Russ doesn't do enough of is throw the ball away. It seems the only time he does is when it is a potential intentional grounding penalty. Sure it would hurt his completion percentage, but sometimes it is the right play.

Hawks46

Reaction score
HawkGA":2x1l96oq said:
I think one thing Russ doesn't do enough of is throw the ball away. It seems the only time he does is when it is a potential intentional grounding penalty. Sure it would hurt his completion percentage, but sometimes it is the right play.

To go a step further, there are times when he rolls out and finally can't find someone, then gets pushed out of bounds for a 2 yard sack. Um, throw the dang ball away.

As for him chucking it away out of the pocket, I'm good with how he is there. Wilson throwing the ball away in the pocket is a waste of his ability to extend plays.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Optimus25":207q1g36 said:
In my opinion, is learning how to avoid sacks the way brady did yesterday.

He needs to learn how to not get intentional grounding called on him ever?

Brees is pretty good about getting the ball near a receiver's foot. Brady was throwing near no one yesterday. Should've been called a couple times on that last drive alone.

Anthony!

Reaction score
You guys realize Brady got sacked a few times yesterday that Wilson would not have been sacked on. I understand he may take a sack or 2 others might not, but he also saves a sack or 2 or 3others would not. Also according to the link we only had 2 int grounding calls in 2015(this season), the league avg was 1.06, Teams with as much or more are:

Cleveland
Detroit
Houston
Tampa
AZ
Baltimore
Indy
Giants
SD

NO-Brees had 1

So I do not think it is as big a deal as you guys thing it is.

In 2014 we had 1 and teams who had more are Buffalo, Dallas, Denver, Det, GB, Indy, NE, Jets, Oakland, Was. League avg was .94. So that means Brady, Rodgers, Luck, Romo and others all had more

http://www.nflpenalties.com/penalty/int ... &view=team

So Like I said not as big a deal as you think.

OP
OP
O

Optimus25

Reaction score
Anthony!":3kd3w3wr said:
You guys realize Brady got sacked a few times yesterday that Wilson would not have been sacked on. I understand he may take a sack or 2 others might not, but he also saves a sack or 2 or 3others would not. Also according to the link we only had 2 int grounding calls in 2015(this season), the league avg was 1.06, Teams with as much or more are:

Cleveland
Detroit
Houston
Tampa
AZ
Baltimore
Indy
Giants
SD

NO-Brees had 1

In 2014 we had 1 and teams who had more are Buffalo, Dallas, Denver, Det, GB, Indy, NE, Jets, Oakland, Was. League avg was .94. So that means Brady, Rodgers, Luck, Romo and others all had more

This is missing the point. It's not a BIG deal in the sense that if this is Russ's biggest criticism, then he's elite by any standard. Yes his mobility far exceeds the negative of this problem. But, and this is a pretty big but, the fact is Wilson took a sack on one of our absolute most critical drives that he had no business taking. It was just another case of him not being able to decipher those key moments where he needs to abandon ship and find an alley to lay the ball into the ground near a receiver, or just flat out get rid of it. In the case of the Norman sack, intentional grounding would have hurt us less than the 13 yard sack he took!. I've posted numerous posts here that we must take Russ in the good and bad, so I'm good with that, and sometimes the bad is exactly these kinds of plays. But i think it would be, as my OP title suggests, the one area he could single handedly improve on and make the biggest change in his game this offseason.

I'd rather not play around or above league averages anyways in the detriment category, but regardless grounding doesn't do justice to the fact that we aren't avoiding SACKS the way brady does via getting the ball out, in the dirt, in the vicinity of a receiver.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Optimus25":3hl85j7w said:
Anthony!":3hl85j7w said:

Cleveland
Detroit
Houston
Tampa
AZ
Baltimore
Indy
Giants
SD

NO-Brees had 1

This is missing the point. It's not a BIG deal in the sense that if this is Russ's biggest criticism, then he's elite by any standard. Yes his mobility far exceeds the negative of this problem. But, and this is a pretty big but, the fact is Wilson took a sack on one of our absolute most critical drives that he had no business taking. It was just another case of him not being able to decipher those key moments where he needs to abandon ship and find an alley to lay the ball into the ground near a receiver, or just flat out get rid of it. In the case of the Norman sack, intentional grounding would have hurt us less than the 13 yard sack he took!. I've posted numerous posts here that we must take Russ in the good and bad, so I'm good with that, and sometimes the bad is exactly these kinds of plays. But i think it would be, as my OP title suggests, the one area he could single handedly improve on and make the biggest change in his game in the off-season.

One intentional grounding this post season made our probability for success nearly impossible. It was a grounding that no other qb in the league, imo, would have had, because lynch was readily available to spike the ball around.

I'd rather not play around or above league averages anyways in the detriment category, but regardless grounding doesn't do justice to the fact that we aren't avoiding SACKS the way brady does via getting the ball out, in the dirt, in the vicinity of a receiver.

No we are not avoiding sacks in the way Brady does, nor are we taking sacks in the way Brady does, as Wilson gets out of those. I guess for me it is starting get nit picky here. The OP made it seem like this was a huge problem which it was and is not. That is my point. on the Norman sack I agree he could have gotten rid of it, at the same time if the LT does his job Wilson does not need to move and sees Norma sooner. I guess Like I sais it seem nit picky to me and My point was and is the Int grounding does not happen a lot and as I showed all the great QBs do it which was the OPs original point. Add tot hat the Avoiding sacks like Brady did, I agree but at the same time Wilson avoids sacks that Brady cannot. So again to me its nit picky the reality is if we had come out in our spread offense from the start we would have won the rest is as a result of our stupidity trying to run our old offense that did not work

OP
OP
O

Optimus25

Reaction score
^

Yeah, i know it's walking the line a bit because the fact is Wilson is the best quarterback in the league imo. So I'm not trying to be picky in any way, but I'm just trying to say that if he could avoid sacks in certain situations by having an outlet receiver or back that he could just lay it in the dirt nearby, i think it improves things more than we give credit for. Besides penalties, nothing seemed to stop our offense at times besides big sacks.

The way that brady was avoiding sacks by throw aways was admirable, and again, Wilson and his ability to evade and threat to run is more valuable to me. But again, sometimes Wilson has to be able to imitate brady and 86 the ball to avoid both grounding and sacks, and to this point i haven't seen this facet of his game, um, 'honed.'

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Optimus25":2g70u4ru said:
^

Yeah, i know it's walking the line a bit because the fact is Wilson is the best quarterback in the league imo. So I'm not trying to be picky in any way, but I'm just trying to say that if he could avoid sacks in certain situations by having an outlet receiver or back that he could just lay it in the dirt nearby, i think it improves things more than we give credit for. Besides penalties, nothing seemed to stop our offense at times besides big sacks.

The way that brady was avoiding sacks by throw aways was admirable, and again, Wilson and his ability to evade and threat to run is more valuable to me. But again, sometimes Wilson has to be able to imitate brady and 86 the ball to avoid both grounding and sacks, and to this point i haven't seen this facet of his game, um, 'honed.'

I agree. I would attribute part of that difference in situational awareness to the disparity in experience between our 4-yr RW and TB. The other part is non-mobile QBs get plenty of situational reps for throwing it away because they often have no other choice. If they want to be successful AND healthy, honing that aspect to a razor's edge is a must.