Felony Charges Recommended for Derrick Coleman

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
High on synthetic marijuana at time of October crash.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/seat ... ice-012516

Police have recommended felony charges of vehicular assault and hit-and-run against Seattle Seahawks fullback Derrick Coleman for an October car crash after which he acknowledged smoking synthetic marijuana.

The King County Prosecutor's Office confirmed Monday having received the charging recommendations from the Bellevue Police Department.

In the police report, Coleman told police he had smoked "Spice" around 5 p.m. on Oct. 14 and drove somewhere around 5:30 p.m.

Interestingly enough, he didn't test positive for the substance he acknowledged taking.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Interesting. Sort of explains the "wandering around" part we all debated back when it happened.

Fudwamper

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1zw0ldti said:
High on synthetic marijuana at time of October crash.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/seat ... ice-012516

Police have recommended felony charges of vehicular assault and hit-and-run against Seattle Seahawks fullback Derrick Coleman for an October car crash after which he acknowledged smoking synthetic marijuana.

The King County Prosecutor's Office confirmed Monday having received the charging recommendations from the Bellevue Police Department.

In the police report, Coleman told police he had smoked "Spice" around 5 p.m. on Oct. 14 and drove somewhere around 5:30 p.m.

Interestingly enough, he didn't test positive for the substance he acknowledged taking.

Sure he did, Yea officer I smoked a substance that could get me a DUI why do you ask?

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Not testing positive for something he admitted taking gives him some ammo for a plea bargain, but the admission of being drowsy from ANYTHING (even cough & cold medicine) set him up to at least get charged.

Synthetic pot (which isn't really pot) can cause all sorts of weird reactions.

Marijuana rules. It's time marijuana rules change.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":ua6bx57n said:

I imagine synthetic cannabis is harder to detect on a drug test, which is probably the point.

That said, it's an interesting dilemma for the NFL. You ban weed, so a bunch of 20-somethings turn to this synthetic product, which may be more dangerous but is also harder to detect. This is what Chandler Jones was hospitalized for a week ago.

I don't know. It seems like a pointless fight. A lot of these kids are going to partake in some kind of recreational narcotic, especially if there is a pain relief benefit. These rules are really just forcing them to choose more dangerous options.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2sl177b8 said:
Maelstrom787":2sl177b8 said:

I imagine synthetic cannabis is harder to detect on a drug test, which is probably the point.

That said, it's an interesting dilemma for the NFL. You ban weed, so a bunch of 20-somethings turn to this synthetic product, which may be more dangerous but is also harder to detect. This is what Chandler Jones was hospitalized for a week ago.

I don't know. It seems like a pointless fight. A lot of these kids are going to partake in some kind of recreational narcotic, especially if there is a pain relief benefit. These rules are really just forcing them to choose more dangerous options.
Not really. One of the options is always simply not to get high. No one is forcing anyone to get high, so there isn't a foregone conclusion that they must do marijuana or a synthetic.

Coleman is an RFA and is a solid fullback who would in the normal course of events be offered a contract worth millions. Jeopardising that for the sake of getting high is stupid, but at least it's personally stupid - he's not hurting anyone other than himself.

DRIVING after getting high is next-level stupid. Even at his meager 1.5 million earned to date, he can afford to use a car service, cab or even Uber if he's impaired. Now it's not just personal stupidity; now he's potentially hurting and/or killing other people.

I was a big Coleman fan. Overcoming a handicap to play in the NFL is a big deal. But now? Hard to support him. Stupidly endangering the public for nothing more than a cheap high is asinine.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":vzpc7t5v said:
DavidSeven":vzpc7t5v said:
Maelstrom787":vzpc7t5v said:

Not really. One of the options is always simply not to get high. No one is forcing anyone to get high, so there isn't a foregone conclusion that they must do marijuana or a synthetic.

Coleman is an RFA and is a solid fullback who would in the normal course of events be offered a contract worth millions. Jeopardising that for the sake of getting high is stupid, but at least it's personally stupid - he's not hurting anyone other than himself.

DRIVING after getting high is next-level stupid. Even at his meager 1.5 million earned to date, he can afford to use a car service, cab or even Uber if he's impaired. Now it's not just personal stupidity; now he's potentially hurting and/or killing other people.

I was a big Coleman fan. Overcoming a handicap to play in the NFL is a big deal. But now? Hard to support him. Stupidly endangering the public for nothing more than a cheap high is asinine.
When was the last time a fullback hit it big in free agency.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":13ft464t said:

I think the number of players who partake in it, synthetic or otherwise, would surprise you.

I'm just being realistic about the deterrent effect that the rule actually has. Obviously, we wish all these young men could just say "no." However, I'm not sure that's a realistic expectation of youth in general, much less the NFL as a sub-section. But honestly, this is a topic I have a hard time getting worked up about one way or the other.

Driving while influenced is an entirely different issue.

BullHawk33

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":ezzfng3b said:

There are only 4 fullbacks paid over a million per year, so the answer depends on your definition of big. Coleman is a good special team member and a serviceable fullback. There is no way he's going to get much more than the minimum.

mrt144

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":15s0geam said:
DavidSeven":15s0geam said:
Maelstrom787":15s0geam said:

While I agree about driving when high, and the comically stupid inability for players to give up driving in a day and age where uber exists, the league's stance on pot in nonsensical to the nth degree. The only reason they don't repeal it is out of moral feelings about marijuana and not wanting to seemingly legitimize it's use in society.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":empyl1cg said:
KiwiHawk":empyl1cg said:
Coleman is an RFA and is a solid fullback who would in the normal course of events be offered a contract worth millions.
A 3-year contract would get him between 500k and 600k per year and a SB in the area of 750k-1m. He'd probably do slightly better. Either way, that's more than one million, so "millions".

It's not Brady money, but given the choice of that money vs a cheap high? He's an idiot.

mrt144

Reaction score
DavidSeven":yges8sek said:
KiwiHawk":yges8sek said:

I think the number of players who partake in it, synthetic or otherwise, would surprise you.

I'm just being realistic about the deterrent effect that the rule actually has. Obviously, we wish all these young men could just say "no." However, I'm not sure that's a realistic expectation of youth in general, much less the NFL as a sub-section. But honestly, this is a topic I have a hard time getting worked up about one way or the other.

Driving while influenced is an entirely different issue.

It's not realistic and it's basically the NFL trying to parent players like Red Forman from That 70's Show.

HawkGA

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":cet1sb26 said:

So driving while high should be legal?

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
mrt144":13dt0y6j said:
While I agree about driving when high, and the comically stupid inability for players to give up driving in a day and age where uber exists, the league's stance on pot in nonsensical to the nth degree. The only reason they don't repeal it is out of moral feelings about marijuana and not wanting to seemingly legitimize it's use in society.
Regardless of the legitimacy of the law, it's still a controlled substance on the federal level, and of the 32 NFL franchises, only two exist in states where marijuana is legal.

Additionally the World Anti-Doping Agency has marijuana restrictions, so the NFL's stance is consistent with that of the world body, which should be one of the aims even though the US doesn't really care about world standards in general and no NFL players compete in the IFAF.

mrt144

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":213t885n said:
mrt144":213t885n said:
Regardless of the legitimacy of the law, it's still a controlled substance on the federal level, and of the 32 NFL franchises, only two exist in states where marijuana is legal.

Additionally the World Anti-Doping Agency has marijuana restrictions, so the NFL's stance is consistent with that of the world body, which should be one of the aims even though the US doesn't really care about world standards in general and no NFL players compete in the IFAF.

Apathy isn't legitimacy though. Simply saying we have no stance on use is leaving it up to the players to decide. Let freedom ring. Also, the WADA is a whore.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Refresh my memory, wasn't he driving near Seahawks headquarters at the time? Did he get high there?

mrt144

Reaction score
HawkGA":1s4i70x1 said:
bjornanderson21":1s4i70x1 said:

So driving while high should be legal?

Obviously not - same as alcohol. Treat irresponsible people as such.

Seymour

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":1t11fjuh said:
DavidSeven":1t11fjuh said:
Maelstrom787":1t11fjuh said:

Actually it was not stupid. He was using a drug that doesn't show up on drug tests, so really these guys found a way to get what they want and beat the system.
The drug wont get him into any trouble with the NFL, but his behavior likely will.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
HawkGA":htn3cvz6 said:
Refresh my memory, wasn't he driving near Seahawks headquarters at the time? Did he get high there?

Also had a glass pipe with resin in it in the car so I'm guessing he smoked it in there.

Plus a bunch of THC lozenges and edibles found in the car, and a gun clip with 10 rounds in it too.

The cars flipped because he hit a car ahead of him and kept accelerating into it for 250 feet until it flipped over.

Not looking good for him at all.

Edit: here http://deadspin.com/cops-seahawks-fb-de ... 1755079215

peppersjap

Reaction score
Let him go. He did not represent the person he was trying to portray in Seattle. I don't care what he does in his personal life but I do care when he injures people under the influence.