The Seahawks need to let Irvin go.

edogg23

Reaction score
The last thing we need is another player on Defense who just got paid.
We need more hunger on this team and Bruce's spot would be a prefect position IMO for us to fill with a rookie with raw talent wanting to prove themselves. Plus it is likely we will get a 3rd or 4th rd comp pick for him the following year.

I was really high on KPL but he seemed to regress and wasn't able to beat out Morgan for playing time later in the year.

sutz

Reaction score
Irving? :laugh:

Hey, the consensus around here, I think, is that we should make an effort to keep him, but to not overpay. He's made some 'friendlier' comments about taking a 'home town discount' but of course there isn't a lot of detail there. It would have to be worked out.

Irvin's a good player. The problem always comes down to: Does the team value him as much as he values himself?

We remain a playoff contending team. If he cares about winning games, this is a good place to be. If it's about the money, well, been nice to know you Bruce. Good luck in your future endeavors.

OP
OP
E

edogg23

Reaction score
sutz":23lxhzfw said:

Hey, the consensus around here, I think, is that we should make an effort to keep him, but to not overpay. He's made some 'friendlier' comments about taking a 'home town discount' but of course there isn't a lot of detail there. It would have to be worked out.

Irvin's a good player. The problem always comes down to: Does the team value him as much as he values himself?

We remain a playoff contending team. If he cares about winning games, this is a good place to be. If it's about the money, well, been nice to know you Bruce. Good luck in your future endeavors.
oops! fixed the title ;)

QuahHawk

Reaction score
LB is one of the easier positions to fill as a rookie. Seems like every year a few 2nd and 3rd LB's pop and become semi stars. He would be nice to have but we have bigger needs to fill.

sutz

Reaction score
edogg23":1030x5qt said:
sutz":1030x5qt said:

You know the basketball player? fixed the title ;)
It's all good bro. :)

crosfam

Reaction score
I think he will be gone by the end of the 2nd day of Free Agency. We probably just can't come close enough to what he will be offered. He is just the sort folks overpay for. And everybody is drooling over improving the pass rush. We see him as a LB, other teams will see a pass rushing DE. He may even develop and improve on his 2nd contract. But he will miss out on a SB LI trophy.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Some Pete acolyte, or some 3-4 team, which is more my guess, is going to give this guy a suitcase of money.

And anything he says about wanting to stay is lip service, IMO. I think all Irvin really wants to do is chase QBs for a living.

I think if he ends up with a team like the Jets, you could see him get 15 sacks next year. I always though he was miscast in a 4-3.

firebee

Reaction score
My gut feeling says Atlanta pays him to reunite with Quinn. Atlanta needs a hybrid LB / DE pretty bad and Irvin's a guy that would step in and make an immediate impact, knowing the defensive scheme that's already in play there. Not to mention... Atlanta is pretty close to home for him.

ctrcat

Reaction score
I'm saying this now because I have no clue what will happen and so that my comment can hold some weight in objectivity.

But if the goal is to wipe the smile off Cam Newton's pearly whites and compete for HFA/the NFCC, the job will be significantly more difficult without Irvin IMO.

Even if he goes to Atlanta I doubt he'd be near the nuisance he has and could be with the Hawks.

VERY few players can be a hindrance to Cam's size and speed, and Irvin is one.

firebee

Reaction score
ctrcat":bm6ai3mx said:
I'm saying this now because I have no clue what will happen and so that my comment can hold some weight in objectivity.

But if the goal is to wipe the smile off Cam Newton's pearly whites and compete for HFA/the NFCC, the job will be significantly more difficult without Irvin IMO.

Even if he goes to Atlanta I doubt he'd be near the nuisance he has and could be with the Hawks.

In that perspective, that's why Atlanta would be even more likely to spend big money on Irvin. They face Cam Newton twice a year.

Omahawk

Reaction score
Sure. Let him go. I'm indifferent about it. Send him off in a cab with Marshawn, Jimmy and Chancellor. Then use that money to buy a new offensive line. The solution is right there. You're welcome.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
crosfam":3ojngby3 said:
I think he will be gone by the end of the 2nd day of Free Agency. We probably just can't come close enough to what he will be offered. He is just the sort folks overpay for. And everybody is drooling over improving the pass rush. We see him as a LB, other teams will see a pass rushing DE. He may even develop and improve on his 2nd contract. But he will miss out on a SB LI trophy.

Yep, great player, good attitude, stays pretty healthy, has some phenomenal stats. No way we can afford him. I believe he truly does want to stay here, loves the team and they love him back, but I think it is a situation where the number we can offer him will be so much lower than the FA market, he will have to move on. I wish him all the best and will miss him, but I agree that it is a position that john and pete can fill with their late round ranking system. He is exactly the type of player that their player potential metrics system works on. I definitely see this position being filled in the draft so it helps for the next few years in the cap as well. I can't see them ever filling his spot in a FA aquisition.

He does have a lot of good years left in the nfl and see him doing very well wherever he lands.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Wenhawk":i546a6x3 said:
LB is one of the easier positions to fill as a rookie. Seems like every year a few 2nd and 3rd LB's pop and become semi stars. He would be nice to have but we have bigger needs to fill.
This.

The Seahawks have to replace at least 1 LB. As you said it is the easiest position on defense to fill with a rookie usually.

If we pay Irvin we might have the most expensive group of 4-3 LB in NFL history.

Unless Irvin can become an above average Guard in the offseason we need to let him go.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2leio8w1 said:
Some Pete acolyte, or some 3-4 team, which is more my guess, is going to give this guy a suitcase of money.

And anything he says about wanting to stay is lip service, IMO. I think all Irvin really wants to do is chase QBs for a living.

I think if he ends up with a team like the Jets, you could see him get 15 sacks next year. I always though he was miscast in a 4-3.
Completely agree. He just screams OLB in a 3-4. Question is, will he be smart enough to see that himself?

Seafan

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3iw0i0ij said:

I agree except if he had 15 sacks this year he'd have gotten what he probably deserves. Since this is his last big contract(due to his age) there is a chance he could sign with the Hawks. If he really believes in himself he could take a one year contract with a team that will let him rush the QB and get those stats.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
sutz":3nrunx74 said:

What he thinks he's worth no doubt plays a part; however it's more about what other teams think he's worth. If there is a significant split, he's passing up a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. With a SB already under his belt, he may well opt for the money. He's a very versatile talent, but I don't see the Hawks tying up a significant chunk of $$ in someone they can at least adequately replace in a variety of ways. I'm thinking a team with a 3-4 D will be all over him.

kf3339

Reaction score
It is all well and good to think that Irvin is a LB we need to re-sign. He has done an above average job for us these last few years. But if this last season has proved anything it's that we need to allocate more money to out OL, which means some D players may need to go.

I see Irvin in that group that needs to leave and his spot filled by a draft pick. I also think you may see a trade for Kam which will net us some more cap room. While it may seem this will weaken the defense initially, I believe a beefed up experienced and veteran OL will more than make up for this with longer sustained drives. That will help our defense more than anything else.

Hope PC and company see this as well.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
ctrcat":3ruhud1e said:

SMDH! I'm sure the Seahawks FO and coaches make their decisions with more than Cam Newton in mind, though that might be hard for certain Panther fans to fathom.