LINK: Jon Ryan is a man of two punts

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
That's really interesting. I wonder if the long punts to midfield where our coverage drifts leftward is more of a product of habitually covering the left side or because Ryan is supposed to kick them left but misses.

OP
OP
drdiags

drdiags

Reaction score
I wonder how the Rams tricked the ST into attacking the wrong guy if the Seahawks tend to favor the left-side. And how did the Seahawks trick the Bears with the same type of play? How do you influence the punt to go opposite of where the ST is expecting it to go?

chevelle03

Reaction score
drdiags":qdrxo9l9 said:
I wonder how the Rams tricked the ST into attacking the wrong guy if the Seahawks tend to favor the left-side. And how did the Seahawks trick the Bears with the same type of play? How do you influence the punt to go opposite of where the ST is expecting it to go?

Each team probably had that play ready to use IF the opportunity presented itself. In each case the punting team must have kicked the ball to the side that it was not intended to go, and when the receiving team recognised this the normal returner runs away from the ball while one player nonchalantly runs towards the ball. I'm guessing that many teams practice this play and plan to use it but don't because the opportunity isn't there.