Hawkblogger: 10 Kam Chancellor trade scenarios

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Zero are realistic, let's be honest.

I mean, the first one has the Seahawks trading Chancellor for a guard who earns +$8m in 2016 and turns 33 before the season begins.

Another has the Seahawks swapping him for a rank average center who barely played last season.

Another has the Seahawks trading for Tevin Coleman, who couldn't stop fumbling the ball last year and is one year removed from being drafted by the Falcons. You're swapping him for a third down back (that's what he'd be).

Another has the Seahawks trading for Matt Kalil :shock:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think the Hawks are going to take a pretty simple approach to Kam this off season............and that's tell them they're fine with him coming back for the 4M he's set to make this year. But that if he's not and is going to be a hold out distraction for as big contract then we'll have no choice but to trade him for a draft pick.

For 4M? IMO that's fine for him to come back and prove that his production dropped because of missing camp and having a couple minor injuries during the season when he did play.

But if he's going to be a pain in the ass again? Nope, not going through that drama and distraction again. Traded or even outright released.

firebee

Reaction score
If we'd trade Kam to the Raiders, throw Lynch in on the deal and go after the Raiders 2nd and 3rd round picks. Anybody that wants to trade for Kam has to take Lynch too. If we're making trades just to avoid contract negotiations, then let's kill two problems with one trade and not screw around.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":17oyji1k said:
I think the Hawks are going to take a pretty simple approach to Kam this off season............and that's tell them they're fine with him coming back for the 4M he's set to make this year. But that if he's not and is going to be a hold out distraction for as big contract then we'll have no choice but to trade him for a draft pick.

For 4M? IMO that's fine for him to come back and prove that his production dropped because of missing camp and having a couple minor injuries during the season when he did play.

But if he's going to be a pain in the ass again? Nope, not going through that drama and distraction again. Traded or even outright released.

Completely agree. Plus it's nice to know that kelcie mckray can fill in and do a serviceable job. We did trade a 5th round pick for him afterall

Hawks46

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":oyk912t9 said:

Good points, and I agree.

1. Kam needs to prove he's still in his prime and capable of high end production. If he can't, he won't be getting a raise anywhere, and he can't stop himself from being traded.

2. He didn't earn a pay raise last year.

3. To make this viable, the Hawks would likely have to pay or give incentives to Bennett. Bennett did the right thing; he made it known he wanted more money, then showed up and out performed his contract. Hell, it's like he called a home run shot for the year. If Bennett doesn't get extra, then no one will. Then telling a guy you'll take care of him rings empty.

I know it's a slippery slope, because you'll likely have to give a bump to Avril as well. That's why we probably can't afford any high dollar FA offensive line signings this year.

Erebus

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1px4zrzr said:

I mean, the first one has the Seahawks trading Chancellor for a guard who earns +$8m in 2016 and turns 33 before the season begins.

Another has the Seahawks swapping him for a rank average center who barely played last season.

Another has the Seahawks trading for Tevin Coleman, who couldn't stop fumbling the ball last year and is one year removed from being drafted by the Falcons. You're swapping him for a third down back (that's what he'd be).

I agree, they're all pretty terrible. Hawkblogger seriously undervalues Kam. I think a better comparison is the Revis trade, in which Tampa Bay gave up 1st and 4th round pick (could've become a 3rd), and had to give him a 6 year/$96M contract.

Let's look at some of the parallels between Revis then and Kam now:
1. Kam is about to be 28; Revis was 28 at the time of the trade, going on his age 29 season.
2. Kam's value isn't at its highest right now (which is why it's a bad time to trade him), but neither was Revis's. At the time of the trade, he was coming off an ACL tear.
3. Revis was due a new contract, while Chancellor would like to have a new one. If Kam is traded, his new team might have to bump up his salary (but probably not significantly).
4. Revis was a year removed from being the best CB in the league (Sherman took that title when Revis was hurt), while Chancellor is a year removed from being regarded as the most intimidating safety in the league (might still be) with good coverage and excellent run stopping skills.
5. Both bring tremendous value to a defense for different reasons. Great safety play and physical intimidation were two of the distinguishing characteristics of our Super Bowl teams (and were on full display in XLVIII). The Panthers are the favorites to win the Super Bowl this year, and one of their defining characteristics is a physical defense. With the NFL being a copycat league, this recent trend drives Chancellor's value up.

With all that said, I still don't think Kam is as good as Revis as an overall player and doesn't play as valuable of a position, so I don't think he should fetch a 1st and 4th. However, the best value Hawkblogger suggested was the Raiders 3rd round pick, but the average trade value he threw out there was about a 4th. By pegging Kam's value at somewhere around a 4th round pick, he's saying Revis coming off an ACL tear plus the richest CB contract in NFL history was worth Kam Chancellor on a team-friendly deal plus a 1st round pick. I wholeheartedly disagree, and think Kam should be worth at least a high 2nd, or at best a late 1st from a team that feels like they are one piece away from SB contention. If we can't get that, then there is no reason to trade him right now.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Erebus":1zhqwddd said:
theENGLISHseahawk":1zhqwddd said:

I agree, they're all pretty terrible. Hawkblogger seriously undervalues Kam. I think a better comparison is the Revis trade, in which Tampa Bay gave up 1st and 4th round pick (could've become a 3rd), and had to give him a 6 year/$96M contract.

1. Kam is about to be 28; Revis was 28 at the time of the trade, going on his age 29 season.
2. Kam's value isn't at its highest right now (which is why it's a bad time to trade him), but neither was Revis's. At the time of the trade, he was coming off an ACL tear.
3. Revis was due a new contract, while Chancellor would like to have a new one. If Kam is traded, his new team might have to bump up his salary (but probably not significantly).
4. Revis was a year removed from being the best CB in the league (Sherman took that title when Revis was hurt), while Chancellor is a year removed from being regarded as the most intimidating safety in the league (might still be) with good coverage and excellent run stopping skills.
5. Both bring tremendous value to a defense for different reasons. Great safety play and physical intimidation were two of the distinguishing characteristics of our Super Bowl teams (and were on full display in XLVIII). The Panthers are the favorites to win the Super Bowl this year, and one of their defining characteristics is a physical defense. With the NFL being a copycat league, this recent trend drives Chancellor's value up.

With all that said, I still don't think Kam is as good as Revis as an overall player and doesn't play as valuable of a position, so I don't think he should fetch a 1st and 4th. However, the best value Hawkblogger suggested was the Raiders 3rd round pick, but the average trade value he threw out there was about a 4th. By pegging Kam's value at somewhere around a 4th round pick, he's saying Revis coming off an ACL tear plus the richest CB contract in NFL history was worth Kam Chancellor on a team-friendly deal plus a 1st round pick. I wholeheartedly disagree, and think Kam should be worth at least a high 2nd, or at best a late 1st from a team that feels like they are one piece away from SB contention. If we can't get that, then there is no reason to trade him right now.

Really, really reaching on this comparison. Kam, at full strength is a key cog to our secondary.. but Revis was a Top 2 cover corner at the time of that deal. Those are much harder to come by than a top flight safety. It's similar to a franchise QB.

Kam isn't fetching a 1. I don't think Kam would even fetch anything higher than a 3 or 4. Further I think the ONLY way we look to move him is if he pulls some crap with his contract again.

Erebus

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1y4tk8g5 said:
Erebus":1y4tk8g5 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":1y4tk8g5 said:

Really, really reaching on this comparison. Kam, at full strength is a key cog to our secondary.. but Revis was a Top 2 cover corner at the time of that deal. Those are much harder to come by than a top flight safety. It's similar to a franchise QB.

Kam isn't fetching a 1. I don't think Kam would even fetch anything higher than a 3 or 4. Further I think the ONLY way we look to move him is if he pulls some crap with his contract again.

It might be a reach of a comparison because of the positional values. I won't argue that. But Kam has established himself as a top 2 or 3 strong safety, and I still think his value is in the 2nd round range (but could get lucky with a 1st from a desperate team). If we can't get that, there is no reason to trade him.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
You are on crack if you think the Hawks are getting something like a 1st and 4th round pick for Kam. 3rd rounder at best, and even that seems unlikely.

Of the Hawkblogger ideas, I would definitely go for Frederick from Dallas for Kam and a 4th. He could be available if Dallas decides they dont have enough money to pay everyone on their O line. Get him here and extend him and you've anchored your O line for the next decade.

Erebus

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":2lwnopf0 said:
You are on crack if you think the Hawks are getting something like a 1st and 4th round pick for Kam. 3rd rounder at best, and even that seems unlikely.

Please re-read my post before saying I'm on crack. I never said he was worth that.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":1doycgnp said:
Of the Hawkblogger ideas, I would definitely go for Frederick from Dallas for Kam and a 4th. He could be available if Dallas decides they dont have enough money to pay everyone on their O line. Get him here and extend him and you've anchored your O line for the next decade.

The Cowboys are not making that trade.

No chance.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Those scenarios are only interesting in the sense of how bad they are.

(To be fair, though, I only read Rob's summary, as I don't give Hawkblogger clicks.)

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":10h12qey said:

I thought that was the best of the options, too. But the Cowboys would just laugh at it, most likely.

2_0_6

Reaction score
If Kam gets dealt, I hope its for picks. We don't need anyone elses high paid vets, we need to get deeper at core positions.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1p2juaq0 said:
Missing_Clink":1p2juaq0 said:

I thought that was the best of the options, too. But the Cowboys would just laugh at it, most likely.
They shouldn't laugh, they'd be dealing a position of strength for a position where they are extremely weak at it.
I am not saying they SHOULD do it, but they'd be smart to at least consider it.

But trust me as HUGE cowboy's hater, I would hate to see Kam playing for *allas!

Seafan

Reaction score
There could be 100 scenarios.

I hope he doesn't get traded. I hope he comes back healthy and dedicated. The defense needs his leadership.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
The only one I liked at all was to Oak for their third and even then it only works if we can package that pick to move up and get Tunsil or the LT from ND whose name I can't recall.

I don't know how we can make both Kam and Bennett happy and between the two Bennett earned it on the field.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Kam has been my favorite defensive player for the Hawks since this Pete Carroll era. But I see this situation being irreparable. I'm not a fan of seeing him go, I also have his jersey. He's pretty much been the bully when the Seahawks were the bullies of the NFL. And the Hawks will lose that and miss it, not easy to replace players with that kind of impact. And ultimately Pete Carroll moves Chancellor.

When it happens I hope Carroll drafts another menacing SS that loves to hit like Kam. A player in the mold of Sean Taylor and Kam Chancellor don't come often and when they do they change defenses and put real fear in offensive players.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Hopefully the effect of the holdout/standoff has been overblown, and he stays. If that happens, expect a lengthy revisionist article from Hawk Blogger. I look forward to it.