NFL Films - Russell Wilson's Dad

kidhawk

Reaction score
erik2690":320m7m8j said:
Video that NFL Films just put up on YT

[youtube]NnZ-uuK8OGc[/youtube]

Doesn't want to play embedded so here's the full link

[urltargetblank]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnZ-uuK8OGc&feature=player_embedded[/urltargetblank]

OP
OP
E

erik2690

Reaction score
kidhawk":2h1z53wu said:

Appreciate you trying I couldn't figure out what part of the URL needed to be between the brackets, I know now but I guess it doesn't matter.

kidhawk

Reaction score
erik2690":a8v803uq said:
kidhawk":a8v803uq said:

Appreciate you trying I couldn't figure out what part of the URL needed to be between the brackets, I know now but I guess it doesn't matter.

Yeah, not every youtube video has permission to be played offsite, but it's a good find and a great watch. For those who haven't seen it I'm sure this thread will be very much appreciated. I know I am sure glad you made the attempt.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Loved that video! Could there ever be a doubt that his father was Russell's inspiration? One doesn't have his NFL jersey become the #1 seller in the NFL for no reason. That reason is due to the upbringing by his father. It is tragic that his father did not take better care of his diabetic condition.

kearly

Reaction score
It's amazing the kind of impact a father can have on his kids.

titan3131

Reaction score
Well that made me cry at work like a baby.

I aspire to have the same positive influence on my own family.

ivotuk

Reaction score
titan3131":8skerkf4 said:
Well that made me cry at work like a baby.

I aspire to have the same positive influence on my own family.

Thanks for the warning. My dad and I were best friends and I'm sure I'll get emotional, so I'll wait until I'm home.

titan3131

Reaction score
Happy to help. My dad wasn't a bad guy, just a moron and a bad father.

He betrayed his son over a woman. Demanded my respect because the bible said I had to.

His mistakes motivate me to be the best I can be for my own son.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
That's good stuff, thanks for posting. I'm curious, is that a skin disease that Russell's brother has? There's an assistant coach in the league that looks like he has something similar. A heavier set dude that was with the Vikings for years.

ivotuk

Reaction score
titan3131":2qailjve said:

He betrayed his son over a woman. Demanded my respect because the bible said I had to.

Mine made some big mistakes, as did I, but through perseverance we became best friends, as my daughter and I now are.

Glad you see things for what they are, too many kids look to shirk responsibility for their own poor decisions by looking for character weaknesses in their parents and pointing the finger at that. As if parents are supposed to be perfect. We could be if there was a perfect book on it. "What the hell do I do now?!"

Two songs that remind me of my dad, Foo Fighters "There goes my hero" and Kansas "Carry on my wayward son, there'll be peace when you are done, don't you cry no more."

Russell and his dad set a great example, and now Russell is using his platform to further that. Amazing young man.

drdiags

Reaction score
My mom used to love playing "Cats in the Cradle" which I have grown to appreciate as me and my father have tried forming a stronger bond as we got older. My sons and I are going through the same type of missed opportunity. At least with my boys it was because their moms and I divorced while they were still young and I didn't form as strong a bond as I should have so they aren't that tightly bonded with me.

We try, so that is a good thing. I hope they don't miss out on their chances to have a strong bond with their kids and to keep their marriages strong. Worse thing in the world is to have your kids raised by someone else because you only have every other weekend visitation.

On-topic, was a good video. Shows his father was a man of principle and a loving father. Ultimate respect and love they show his memory. He did a good job.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
It has been noted that the weak link in the Afro American family is the absence of a strong father figure. Russell is broadcasting this point by showing what a difference his father made in his life. Russell would not be where he is today without his father's guidance.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Seanhawk":jac3cyub said:
That's good stuff, thanks for posting. I'm curious, is that a skin disease that Russell's brother has? There's an assistant coach in the league that looks like he has something similar. A heavier set dude that was with the Vikings for years.

Yep that's Vitiligo. It makes you lose pigment in your skin but it's not dangerous.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Loved this video. I was fortunate enough to have a great relationship with my dad and an even better one with my son. Thanks for sharing

october12thMAN

Reaction score
Nashville via Arlington High school, Arlington, WA
ivotuk":2i9rnftt said:
titan3131":2i9rnftt said:

Mine made some big mistakes, as did I, but through perseverance we became best friends, as my daughter and I now are.

Glad you see things for what they are, too many kids look to shirk responsibility for their own poor decisions by looking for character weaknesses in their parents and pointing the finger at that. As if parents are supposed to be perfect. We could be if there was a perfect book on it. "What the hell do I do now?!"

Two songs that remind me of my dad, Foo Fighters "There goes my hero" and Kansas "Carry on my wayward son, there'll be peace when you are done, don't you cry no more."

Russell and his dad set a great example, and now Russell is using his platform to further that. Amazing young man.

My dad was out of my life for 15 years because of my mom. I have a relationship with him now, but it's not what it should be, or could have been. My relationship with my mom has always been strained.

Two songs that break me every time, with my dad is "Highway 20 Ride" by Zac Brown. I asked him to listen to it, and told him that all I could do was hope that that was what he was thinking and feeling. He told me it was.

With my mother, "Living Years" by Mike and the Mechanics. It's an amazing song and message "it's too late when we die, to admit we don't see eye to eye".

I didn't have that father-son blueprint to go off of when I had my son. He's almost 8 now. All I knew is what I didn't have, what I wish I did have, and that my son, and daughter will never know what that feels like.

I have an amazing and close relationship with my son. I can feel it in his hugs! Absolutely with my daughter too. But I think it stands out more to me with my son because I never was able to feel what he does with me.

Sorry for rambling on. This is a real sensitive and emotional subject with me. And I don't mind at all sharing with my Hawks brothers and sister!