RB crew next year

crosfam

Reaction score
1. T. Rawls (starter/workhorse)
2. C. Michael (when Rawls needs a break)
3. M. Forte (3rd down back, some passing situations)

"It's not even about the money," Forte emphasized. "I want to be in the Super Bowls."

Then we can draft a RB late for the practice squad, and focus most of the rest on OL and defense.

kearly

Reaction score
Supposedly the 2017 draft is loaded at RB, so I could see Seattle adding a rental veteran this offseason in FA. Or retain Jackson.

Forte will get some pretty serious interest though, it would be a stunner if he signed in Seattle to be a timeshare RB.

OP
OP
crosfam

crosfam

Reaction score
With the draft loaded at RB, our FO will fake everybody out and draft at other positions. :mrgreen:

Hopefully we can test out Forte's desire for SB victory. Though I guess the Steelers, Broncos, Pats, and Cards might come calling too.

chris98251

Reaction score
dogorama":oeel64qz said:
Everybody seems so sold on Rawls. Granted he was really good in his fill-in for Lynch but I think he's still got a lot to prove.

A UDFA that was leading the league in yds per carry before he got his ankle broke and he has to prove something? If he never steps back on a football field he has already exceeded anyone's expectations. Going forward the only question we should have is he going to heal 100 percent and is he the type of back that can take 225 carries a season if he is going to be the full time replacement or 100 or so if he splits time with someone else. Find it interesting we have nothing in the PS now as a RB, so it's Rawls, Michaels, Jackson, Lynch Coleman, Brown and Tukuafu all may not be back either due to age or off field issues or simply no trust in them such as Brown.

dogorama

Reaction score
chris98251":17uztcod said:
dogorama":17uztcod said:
Everybody seems so sold on Rawls. Granted he was really good in his fill-in for Lynch but I think he's still got a lot to prove.

A UDFA that was leading the league in yds per carry before he got his ankle broke and he has to prove something? If he never steps back on a football field he has already exceeded anyone's expectations. Going forward the only question we should have is he going to heal 100 percent and is he the type of back that can take 225 carries a season if he is going to be the full time replacement or 100 or so if he splits time with someone else. Find it interesting we have nothing in the PS now as a RB, so it's Rawls, Michaels, Jackson, Lynch Coleman, Brown and Tukuafu all may not be back either due to age or off field issues or simply no trust in them such as Brown.

Like I said, he was very good and I want him to succeed but YES he has something to prove. His sampling size is just too small to automatically assume that he is 1. going to have that same production 2. He will durable, as you say and 3. do all the extra things a pro back needs to do. Don't get me wrong, I loved the way he played but we really have NOTHING behind him if he goes down. I'm not saying that the Seahawks go out and spend a lot of money on a FA or commit a high draft pick but that the idea that the running corp is set seems pretty premature at this point. I am sure the FO is aware of that. Plus, at some point the Seahawks are going to have to secure an actual blocking TE if we are going to have a running game.

pehawk

Reaction score
Fred Jackson is an all time favorite of mine. But, I don't want him back. He's slower than anything and for whatever reason they couldn't help but give him screens.

I'm fine with Rawls, a prove it for a FA, and a rookie.

firebee

Reaction score
crosfam":1cesy0tk said:
1. T. Rawls (starter/workhorse)
2. C. Michael (when Rawls needs a break)
3. M. Forte (3rd down back, some passing situations)

"It's not even about the money," Forte emphasized. "I want to be in the Super Bowls."

Then we can draft a RB late for the practice squad, and focus most of the rest on OL and defense.

1. I agree that Rawls is likely the starter.
2. I think we take Kenneth Dixon out of Louisiana Tech or Keith Marshall out of George late in the draft to compete with Christine Michael for the backup role. Not only would one of these guys be competing with Michael, but I also think they have the ability to compete with Rawls for the start.
3. I'd prefer to see if we could renegotiate Lynch down to a 2 year contract at 6 million per year with 5 of the 12 million guaranteed and keep him on as a 3rd down back vs. signing Forte for, most likely, about the same amount. I think Lynch could be agreeable to taking less if he knew he wasn't going to carry the load and be more of a situational back. We'd also keep continuity and chemistry in the locker room. Besides, I see Forte landing in Carolina as insurance for Stewart and he'd probably be used more there.

OP
OP
crosfam

crosfam

Reaction score
I think Lynch will just laugh and walk away when we bring up the idea of renegotiation. He has options. He may retire, but if cut, he will get $10 Million one-year contract offer from desperate teams.

firebee

Reaction score
crosfam":u5wleltf said:
I think Lynch will just laugh and walk away when we bring up the idea of renegotiation. He has options. He may retire, but if cut, he will get $10 Million one-year contract offer from desperate teams.
Yeah... I'm under the impression that he's not really interested in carrying the load for a team at this point in his career and I don't see us releasing him outright anytime soon. I think JS & PC will try forcing a trade before they pay him 5 million to walk, even if it clears 6 million in cap. If we release him, it's going to be closer to preseason after we've used up almost all of our cap. I don't see us releasing him before then.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Doug Martin is a free agent. I'd like the Seahawks make a push for him. Let Rawls compete with Martin to be the #1 RB. With that said, it's more likely Martin re-signs with Bucs.

OP
OP
crosfam

crosfam

Reaction score
hawkfan68":25ux4o1e said:
Doug Martin is a free agent. I'd like the Seahawks make a push for him. Let Rawls compete with Martin to be the #1 RB. With that said, it's more likely Martin re-signs with Bucs.

I just do not see us spending too much on a prime RB free agent who might sit behind Rawls and platoon. Probably a more senior vet who will take a discount and a one year deal to chase the ring - like Forte. Maybe we keep Fred Jackson for that, but 31 (Forte) is not 35 in RB years.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
crosfam":3om4p4d8 said:
hawkfan68":3om4p4d8 said:

I just do not see us spending too much on a prime RB free agent who might sit behind Rawls and platoon. Probably a more senior vet who will take a discount and a one year deal to chase the ring - like Forte. Maybe we keep Fred Jackson for that, but 31 (Forte) is not 35 in RB years.

Well there are rumors that the Seahawks are interested in DeMarco Murray, if he is released by the Eagles. I believe if they are willing to look at Murray then Martin could be worth a look too.

Optimus25

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1aj1rzy9 said:

I just feel like this is tier 1 material along with the Murray idea, which i think is a bad idea.

I like the rawls/ tier 2 guys available this free agency period, a la Starks or ivory.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
dogorama":31azpfw1 said:
A lot?, nah, his successful numbers that he put up wasn't a fluke, and the only thing Rawls will have to prove, is can he perform with the same fire as he did before getting injured.

IMHO, they could go with RB by committee, (two Back sets) with Russell Wilson as another Run & Pass attack, and that would open things up a bunch.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Im personally ok with Rawls and michael being #1 and #2 as long as we spend more money and draft picks to fix our offensive line.

Even for the people who don't feel comfortable with just Rawls, how can you justify spending good money on a RB who might very well be worse?

The beauty of a cheap RB crew is that you're pretty much guaranteed to get your money's worth or better. There is 0% chance of wasting a bunch of money. And it's not like we don't have a guy who at least looks like a stud. We have a legit chance to have really good RB production on the cheap.

Get rid of fred jackson for a rookie with some potential

HawkGA

Reaction score
I feel comfortable with Rawls leading the way and Michael backing him up. I think the team needs to be able to take some inexpensive option as some positions and RB looks like a good spot to do it. What they do with the third position I don't really care. And when I say I don't really care, I mean I trust JS and PC to do whatever they think is right.

HawkGA

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1u9htrjl said:
crosfam":1u9htrjl said:
hawkfan68":1u9htrjl said:

Well there are rumors that the Seahawks are interested in DeMarco Murray, if he is released by the Eagles. I believe if they are willing to look at Murray then Martin could be worth a look too.

I'm guessing it falls under the "kick the tires on any deal" or however JS has phrased that in the past. Would be shocked. SHOCKED! if anything actually came of it.

Vetamur

Reaction score
Im good with Rawls.. considering CMike if he maintains the attitude.. then a late round UDFA type unless something awesome falls to us.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
No free agent RBs, unless they find a cheap 1 year rental like Jackson. I would rather they draft a rookie in the middle rounds and have a cheap RB group. Use that money elsewhere.