Free Agents

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Gio":makxt94v said:
Just found this post on facebook from 247Sports Seahawks http://sea.247sports.com/Gallery/426340 ... pg-3734919

A lot of rumors say that Kearse wont accept any discount but Irvin said he wants to stay in Seattle no matter what. Anyway if one of them leave could be Alshon Jeffrey or Von Miller could be a good replacement . Personally i believe V is a great OLB . Whom would you prefer from all the free agents ?

Von....Miller, SMH. If you thing we can't afford Irvin, what price do you suppose a talent like Miller would command? This is neither Fantasy Football nor Madden, bro.

BelfastHawk

Reaction score
Not for the first time a new poster is belittled for starting a thread by someone with a high post count. This place can be tough for newbies sometimes and I think people could be less supercilious in their response. If you don't like the thread don't bother responding to it.

Of course we aren't going to sign Von Miller, there is no need to be a smartarse about it.

stang233

Reaction score
Miller will be a 100+ guy. Jeffery will get 50+. It won't ever happened.

Ps.I agree be kind.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
BelfastHawk":3oe3qycj said:
Not for the first time a new poster is belittled for starting a thread by someone with a high post count. This place can be tough for newbies sometimes and I think people could be less supercilious in their response. If you don't like the thread don't bother responding to it.

Of course we aren't going to sign Von Miller, there is no need to be a smartarse about it.
Agreed. Welcome, OP. While it's true that Von Miller will come with a very high price tag, it's ok to dream. What's more likely is that some other team will make Irvin an offer he can't refuse and we'll have to look at experienced LBs who've been cut by other teams so we can preserve the compensatory pick.

A lot of us hoped Kevin Pierre-Louis would step into the role, but I am no longer confident. The draft may also yield a solid prospect. I hope.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I agree with the others. We have about $15m in cap space. If we signed Von he would eat up all of that. Personally I don't think he makes it out of Denver anyway. If Vinny Curry gets $45m Bruce will command north of $10m if he wants to. Even with a hometown discount I highly doubt he takes much less than that.

I also think Jeffrey will get $10m/yr which we can't afford. I'd look for us to go after a few veterans on the OL and DL in the $3-5m range. That's really all we can afford.

Mojambo

Reaction score
Jefferey is a non-starter, but as Huard mentioned this week. Mohammed Sanu might be a good fit here.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
There are a lot of front office moves to be completed before free agency begins. THe lists you see now, Gio, will change dramatically before free agency begins.

Look at the bargains in free agency, not the headliners, if you want to know what might happen in Seattle.

sutz

Reaction score
Just for the record on the OP. Irvin did NOT say he wanted to stay 'no matter what.' He said he would consider a $3-5 mill discount over the life of the contract, or about $1 mill/year. Given the history here in Seatlle, we won't be matching any offers from other teams, who will likely offer at least $2-3 mill/year more than we would., perhaps even more. We might hang on to him, but it seems very unlikely.

One of the penalties of being a Seahawks fan is that we never get those top picks in the draft. Considering that is because we make the playoffs every year, it's a tradeoff I can live with. ;)

We will occasionally surprise with a top level FA pickup, but not every year. Von Miller would be a great addition, true, but at the price he will likely command, he's out of our price range. Besides, we're still a pretty good team. We need some depth, some replacement players, and some acquisitions in key areas to keep us at the top, not necessarily to break the bank on a single player. Fans get frustrated some times, but the FO hasn't done so badly the last few years. We still have a lot of talent, including some hopefully coming of IR again this year. I know you can't count on that all the time, but it is still there.

Last I heard, Vegas still has us as a top 3-5 favorite in next year's SB hunt. We're not in that bad of shape going forward.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Hmm, how about an Earl Thomas/Eric Berry Safety tandem? Wow.

crosfam

Reaction score
I think reality is this:

We lose most of our UFA. Kearse, Irvin, Okung, Sweezy, and the rest. We will cut loose a few of our more expensive vets, maybe Mebane, T-Jack, and probably Lynch. We will spend the money to retain core up-and-coming players with reasonable salary that we can retain, hopefully Shead, Lane, maybe Rubin. Long term, I'd love to extend Bennett now, to keep him anchored and keep the defense fearsome for a few more years. Same with Baldwin. Maybe even extend Kam and add one more year to his contract keep team cohesion (with mostly performance bonuses). Maybe trade him for a 2017 pick. Maybe we sign a few reasonable FA, including a few vets who take discounts to shoot for a SB win, like a vet RB, Brandon Browner, maybe a vet OL. We draft a bunch of guys, and sign a few obscure FA types that the front office likes. We develop some of our sneaky practice squad level players for more playing time OR they leave... Pinkins, McNeil , the two UW receivers, our OL picks last year, etc.

Draft two new talented offensive lineman, a linebacker, DE, DT, and DB. Draft somebody late like the kid who got kicked off TCU's team to develop as a future QB back-up to Wilson.

I see no chance at all for a top flight, expensive FA signing - not even one.

firebee

Reaction score
crosfam":1611a7lo said:
I think reality is this:

We lose most of our UFA. Kearse, Irvin, Okung, Sweezy, and the rest. We will cut loose a few of our more expensive vets, maybe Mebane, T-Jack, and probably Lynch. We will spend the money to retain core up-and-coming players with reasonable salary that we can retain, hopefully Shead, Lane, maybe Rubin. Long term, I'd love to extend Bennett now, to keep him anchored and keep the defense fearsome for a few more years. Same with Baldwin. Maybe even extend Kam and add one more year to his contract keep team cohesion (with mostly performance bonuses). Maybe trade him for a 2017 pick. Maybe we sign a few reasonable FA, including a few vets who take discounts to shoot for a SB win, like a vet RB, Brandon Browner, maybe a vet OL. We draft a bunch of guys, and sign a few obscure FA types that the front office likes. We develop some of our sneaky practice squad level players for more playing time OR they leave... Pinkins, McNeil , the two UW receivers, our OL picks last year, etc.

Draft two new talented offensive lineman, a linebacker, DE, DT, and DB. Draft somebody late like the kid who got kicked off TCU's team to develop as a future QB back-up to Wilson.

I think their's a chance we keep Sweezy. I just don't see other teams willing to pay much more than the 2-3 million a year we're already paying him. I think we get him resigned on a 2 year contract with a 2 mil. base and 1 Mil Bonus split over the first and 2nd year of the contract. I agree that Okung is likely to be gone. I just don't see us paying Okung the 8-10 million he's likely to get on the market due to his time as a Seahawk, notoriety, laurels.

Irvin??? I don't know... That's a really tough one to call. The market could throw 7-8 miillion at him, but he might only find 4-5 million a year offers coming in. If the latter was the case and he was willing to just re-up in Seattle for around 4 million a year, do we make that happen? The LB market is tough... It has a ton of fluctuation. Nigel Bradham is another guy in free agency I really like. Wouldn't mind seeing him in a Hawks uniform.

I think we can get Mebane and Rubin both signed for around 4 million a year each, as long as we give them some security and guarantee a decent portion of their contracts over a 4-5 year dela. Mebane's been as durable as they come and Rubin should be good for a few more years, so I'm not opposed to offering them a bit longer contracts that give them security. They'd, most likely, become releasable in 2-3 years on a 4-5 year contract anyways, and I like keeping that core together on the line.

Kearse is an interesting situation... He could land some big offers or he might not due to some of the other receivers that are in free agency. Jeffery, Benjamin, Sanu, Marvin Jones and some younger unproven guys with talent like Rishard Matthews, Rueben Randle, Kamar Aiken and such. It's really hard to say what will happen. We might end up landing Kearse at a bargain or we might land another guy in free agency with, pretty much, the same skillset as him. Definitely not a position I'd spend a ton of money on, considering the depth of talent in free agency and the draft.

Their is really only one free agent from another team that I have pegged as a must sign free agent for us and that's Zach Line, the FB out of Minnesota. He's, IMO, the best fullback in the league. When you can get the best player at a position for a reasonable price because the pricetag on that position isn't very high, and that player can make a huge impact on your offense... You have to go after him. I think we'd be fools to not aggressively pursue him. I think Zach Line would be the best move for us in free agency if we made it happen. Just a multi-faceted player that can do it all... Block, catch, run.. everything.

Otherwise, I agree with you on mostly going after unproven lesser knowns at lesser cost that are looking to get a start in the NFL and/or make a name for themselves. Guys that are hungry and want to prove something. I just don't see us throwing around too much money on notable FAs that are looking for the big payday vs. looking to prove they deserve a big payday. I see a lot of 1-3 year contracts prove-it contracts being offered to younger guys that may have been stuck behind another more prominent all-pro type player, like Tavon Rooks, Ijalana and such.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I would love to see Irvin drive his apy up to 8.5m and Okung get north of 10 apy. Seahawks cash in on 3rd round comps. Then would love to see Sweezy cash in on a 4th round comp apy. With Kearse making a 5th round comp. That would be best case scenario.

Glowinski replaces Sweezy.

Draft for OT. Keep Bailey on his RFA, let Gilliam compete at LT.

Seahawks resign Mebane, Rubin, and Lane. With a total cap hit for 2016 around $10-12m

Loved someones idea of moving Kam to WLB and play him at 245.

Beef up Wright to 250-255 and plug him back at SLB.

McCray takes over the SS safety spot.

Lockett in his 2nd year, Willson in his 4th year and hopefully healthy returns of Richardson and Graham plus Kevin Smith and Kasen Williams making huge strides over this offseason would help negate Kearse's loss. Seahawks can also continue to add new blood to the group and maybe uncover another guy who's work ethic and intangibles matches Wilson's much like No-E's did.

Ricardo Lockette also could be a cheap re-sign, great special teamer and probably the best blocker at WR on the roster over the last two seasons.

Shead is an ERFA and I believe Burley is an RFA. With Simon returning and Smith in his second year plus Seisay and others. Lane isnt a necessity but you could probably re-sign him. He doesnt have the pedigree to make 6-7m and with guys like Browner, Maxwell, Johnson, Margagos etc struggling to find success out of Seattle teams might become more skepitical now.

If Seattle can get Lane for 2 yrs, 7-8mil or perhaps a 1 yr deal around $3-4m and sell on the fact he could cash in better with a full season of consistent play in a system he knows. That would be pretty fair I think. If a guy like Simon steps up and stays healthy in his contract season, Lane is likely relegated back to NCB/ST duties for the most part.

Draft focus just becomes build the trenches up at Oline/Dline and you can grab a WR, RB, LBer, DB if they give you good value at whatever pick.

crosfam

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1llpihg4 said:
I would love to see Irvin drive his apy up to 8.5m and Okung get north of 10 apy. Seahawks cash in on 3rd round comps. Then would love to see Sweezy cash in on a 4th round comp apy. With Kearse making a 5th round comp. That would be best case scenario.

Glowinski replaces Sweezy.

Draft for OT. Keep Bailey on his RFA, let Gilliam compete at LT.

Seahawks resign Mebane, Rubin, and Lane. With a total cap hit for 2016 around $10-12m

Loved someones idea of moving Kam to WLB and play him at 245.

Beef up Wright to 250-255 and plug him back at SLB.

McCray takes over the SS safety spot.

Lockett in his 2nd year, Willson in his 4th year and hopefully healthy returns of Richardson and Graham plus Kevin Smith and Kasen Williams making huge strides over this offseason would help negate Kearse's loss. Seahawks can also continue to add new blood to the group and maybe uncover another guy who's work ethic and intangibles matches Wilson's much like No-E's did.

Ricardo Lockette also could be a cheap re-sign, great special teamer and probably the best blocker at WR on the roster over the last two seasons.

Shead is an ERFA and I believe Burley is an RFA. With Simon returning and Smith in his second year plus Seisay and others. Lane isnt a necessity but you could probably re-sign him. He doesnt have the pedigree to make 6-7m and with guys like Browner, Maxwell, Johnson, Margagos etc struggling to find success out of Seattle teams might become more skepitical now.

If Seattle can get Lane for 2 yrs, 7-8mil or perhaps a 1 yr deal around $3-4m and sell on the fact he could cash in better with a full season of consistent play in a system he knows. That would be pretty fair I think. If a guy like Simon steps up and stays healthy in his contract season, Lane is likely relegated back to NCB/ST duties for the most part.

Draft focus just becomes build the trenches up at Oline/Dline and you can grab a WR, RB, LBer, DB if they give you good value at whatever pick.

Good post, and good points. What is see I agree with - we really do not sign any big name FA other than our own. We need to hold on to our core and up and coming players that know the system, that can't or do not want to break he bank or cash in at 100% of salary potential. I do like the idea of extending Bennett early so he is core defense for years to come. He took less to stay in SEA once, maybe he will do it again to stay and be the 2013-2018 version of the Steel Curtain.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
firebee":1wxzcp8i said:
crosfam":1wxzcp8i said:
I think reality is this:

I think their's a chance we keep Sweezy. I just don't see other teams willing to pay much more than the 2-3 million a year we're already paying him. I think we get him resigned on a 2 year contract with a 2 mil. base and 1 Mil Bonus split over the first and 2nd year of the contract. I agree that Okung is likely to be gone. I just don't see us paying Okung the 8-10 million he's likely to get on the market due to his time as a Seahawk, notoriety, laurels.

Irvin??? I don't know... That's a really tough one to call. The market could throw 7-8 miillion at him, but he might only find 4-5 million a year offers coming in. If the latter was the case and he was willing to just re-up in Seattle for around 4 million a year, do we make that happen? The LB market is tough... It has a ton of fluctuation. Nigel Bradham is another guy in free agency I really like. Wouldn't mind seeing him in a Hawks uniform.

I think we can get Mebane and Rubin both signed for around 4 million a year each, as long as we give them some security and guarantee a decent portion of their contracts over a 4-5 year dela. Mebane's been as durable as they come and Rubin should be good for a few more years, so I'm not opposed to offering them a bit longer contracts that give them security. They'd, most likely, become releasable in 2-3 years on a 4-5 year contract anyways, and I like keeping that core together on the line.

Kearse is an interesting situation... He could land some big offers or he might not due to some of the other receivers that are in free agency. Jeffery, Benjamin, Sanu, Marvin Jones and some younger unproven guys with talent like Rishard Matthews, Rueben Randle, Kamar Aiken and such. It's really hard to say what will happen. We might end up landing Kearse at a bargain or we might land another guy in free agency with, pretty much, the same skillset as him. Definitely not a position I'd spend a ton of money on, considering the depth of talent in free agency and the draft.

Their is really only one free agent from another team that I have pegged as a must sign free agent for us and that's Zach Line, the FB out of Minnesota. He's, IMO, the best fullback in the league. When you can get the best player at a position for a reasonable price because the pricetag on that position isn't very high, and that player can make a huge impact on your offense... You have to go after him. I think we'd be fools to not aggressively pursue him. I think Zach Line would be the best move for us in free agency if we made it happen. Just a multi-faceted player that can do it all... Block, catch, run.. everything.

Otherwise, I agree with you on mostly going after unproven lesser knowns at lesser cost that are looking to get a start in the NFL and/or make a name for themselves. Guys that are hungry and want to prove something. I just don't see us throwing around too much money on notable FAs that are looking for the big payday vs. looking to prove they deserve a big payday. I see a lot of 1-3 year contracts prove-it contracts being offered to younger guys that may have been stuck behind another more prominent all-pro type player, like Tavon Rooks, Ijalana and such.

I just want to say there is absolutely no way Irvin signs for less than $8m per year. Again just look at Vinny Curry's deal. That is the going rate for players like Irvin.

firebee

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":37vnm614 said:
firebee":37vnm614 said:
crosfam":37vnm614 said:
I think reality is this:

I just want to say there is absolutely no way Irvin signs for less than $8m per year. Again just look at Vinny Curry's deal. That is the going rate for players like Irvin.
I agree... He's almost guaranteed to get an offer between 8-10 million a year, but weirder things have happened... Look at Elvis Dumervil's contract... totally backloaded and the only year he makes more than 8 million is in the last year when releasing him could free up 6 mil. in cap for the Ravens.

kearly

Reaction score
If Berry hits UFA, I would expect Seattle to be in on the discussions. They LOVED him in the 2010 draft, he was their top rated player. He's a ballhawk but is actually better suited to play SS. And he'd give Seattle some insane speed at the safety spot. It would also create leverage against Kam, and possibly make him expendable (though they could still keep Kam as a nickle DB or convert him to LB).

Granted, I'd give it a 5% chance of actually happening since Berry is going to get huge money and the FO just learned a harsh lesson about paying an outsider DB good money, but on paper the Berry to Seattle chatter makes sense IMO.