Marshawn Lynch reportedly hasn't spent a penny of $49.7M

SixSeahawk

Reaction score
I apologize if this is a repost.

"Seattle Seahawks star running back Marshawn Lynch has made $49.7 million in nine NFL seasons — and has saved all of it.
In a recent segment for "The Ian & Puck Show" on 950 AM KJR in Seattle, Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network was discussing recent rumblings that Lynch might retire and dropped an interesting tidbit about Lynch's thriftiness.

"Marshawn Lynch has a lot of money," Rapoport said. "He hasn't spent a dime of his actual playing money ... ever."

Presumably, Lynch has been living the last nine years off of endorsements and other business ventures. Lynch is estimated to earn about $5 million per year through endorsement deals with Nike, Pepsi, Skittles, Progressive, and Activision, according to Forbes.

Lynch, the 12th pick in the 2007 NFL Draft, signed a modest — by today's standards — five-year, $19 million rookie contract with the Buffalo Bills. He took home roughly $14 million from that contract, during which he was traded to the Seattle Seahawks. Lynch really cashed in then, signing a four-year, $30 million extension with the Seahawks prior to the 2012 season, and he just finished the first year of a two-year, $24 million contract, bringing his career earnings on the field to $49.7 million.

But now Lynch may be leaning toward calling it quits.

John Schneider, the Seattle Seahawks' general manager, recently said that he was under the impression that star running back Marshawn Lynch was "leaning towards retirement."

Rapoport added that he would be "surprised" if Lynch is back in the NFL next season.

"His days in Seattle, from what I understand, are over," Rapoport added. "I would expect him to walk away after that."

If Lynch does retire at age 29, he can thank his thriftiness for having a nice nest to fall back on."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/marshawn- ... 23197.html

Cyrus12

Reaction score
good for him...unlike a lot of other players that blow it all. That Lambo had to be pricey though....

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Awesome for Beastmode. The guy is a lot smarter than he gets credit for.
One of my favorite Hawks of all time. I will never forget him, as he was a key cog to our championship season, and had some of his runs are the best in NFL history!

chris98251

Reaction score
I have read that team mates actually go to him for financial advice and how to set things up, the guy is a great team mate both on and off the field. The fluff we see in media etc is a hype, remember this is the guy that found a wallet and took the time to personally deliver it to the owner, how many players would do that, how many people would do that.

jkitsune

Reaction score
There are a lot of assumptions made about Marshawn's level of intelligence or wisdom based on how he talks and his behavior with the media and (sometimes) fans, but I've never heard that his teammates and community (Oakland, I mean) don't love him. I'm going to miss the heck out of him. Just wish he'd gotten to ride off into the sunset with a Super Bowl win.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
He never really comes across as book smart, but clearly he has financial intelligence and willpower.

As long as he doesnt do something stupid like Curt Schilling he should never have to worry about money. Good job.

dbmack

Reaction score
chris98251":3edpyu1x said:
I have read that team mates actually go to him for financial advice and how to set things up, the guy is a great team mate both on and off the field. The fluff we see in media etc is a hype, remember this is the guy that found a wallet and took the time to personally deliver it to the owner, how many players would do that, how many people would do that.
I know of one for sure. I found one in a parking lot with a lot of money in it though I didn't count it. I took it to the police station intact since I wasn't comfortable returning it myself to the address on the driver's license because mr dbmack wasn't with me at the time. I heard later he got it back, money and all.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Didn't he go to Cal? If so you have to be intelligent and have really good ACT/SAT results to get in pretty much like Stanford.

JerHawk81

Reaction score
I'm super happy for him. I always thought he was a big spender (movie, cars, fish tank, starting brand, fines, etc.) so if true, it's awesome news that I was so wrong.

I'll miss ya Beast!

rideaducati

Reaction score
I hope to see him as a regular cast member on NFL Network's Total Access where he would become the guy that talks too much.

mrt144

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1bpozmrm said:
Didn't he go to Cal? If so you have to be intelligent and have really good ACT/SAT results to get in pretty much like Stanford.

He got a scholarship to Cal but yes, he wasn't a slouch by any means.

chris98251

Reaction score
If he has not spent any of his salary then his compounded interest alone has made him a bank roll on 49 million let alone his investments of endorsements etc.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Cyrus12":2wjl8typ said:
good for him...unlike a lot of other players that blow it all. That Lambo had to be pricey though....

Meh, 100-200K? Whats that really in the grand scheme if you have 50 million in the bank/market working for you.

AirStrike

Reaction score
He'll have any broadcast position he wants and all the endorsements in the world. He's good. The fact that he's saved his playing money is fantastic as well.

byau

Reaction score
Brock and Salk mentioned this morning a few stories about how Marshawn would talk to the rookies and ask them what they're doing with their money and if they're making sure to save it.

I'm guessing you'll hear more of these stories as the offseason goes.

Intelligent guy

OP
OP
S

SixSeahawk

Reaction score
gowazzu02":2mg39b66 said:
Cyrus12":2mg39b66 said:

Meh, 100-200K? Whats that really in the grand scheme if you have 50 million in the bank/market working for you.

No way a brand new Lambo is only 100 to 200k. Arent they like 400k and up?

Basis4day

Reaction score
SixSeahawk":4bcttbu5 said:
gowazzu02":4bcttbu5 said:
Cyrus12":4bcttbu5 said:

No way a brand new Lambo is only 100 to 200k. Aren't they like 400k and up?

The idea of the article is that Lynch lived off his endorsements (Estimated around 4 million a year) and saved all his NFL money. If i remember correctly, Gronk is doing the same thing.

He did also buy a house for 3.6 million.

chris98251

Reaction score
So much for Cancer in the Locker room, being selfish and a shitty team mate. I hope that shit has been addressed completely now.