Cap Situation with Beast Mode's Farewell.

Nothinbutm

Reaction score
I know everyone is misty eyed about Marshawn calling it a career, he left a hell of a highlight reel and finally was partially responsible for bringing home the Lombardi, but now that he's has retired, will there be any dead money left over from his contract or does it eliminate all residuals and obligations from it?

If he retired, he made a great decision for the team so we can allocate it elsewhere.

Polaris

Reaction score
Nothinbutm":1bzqa9x1 said:
I know everyone is misty eyed about Marshawn calling it a career, he left a hell of a highlight reel and finally was partially responsible for bringing home the Lombardi, but now that he's has retired, will there be any dead money left over from his contract or does it eliminate all residuals and obligations from it?

If he retired, he made a great decision for the team so we can allocate it elsewhere.

I think technically the Seahawks could go after his five million dollar signing bonus when/if he files his retirement papers...unless Lynch's contract has specific language to the contrary (and I wouldn't be surprised if it did). All that said even if the Seahawks could do this, I don't think they will especially since the dead money would hit next year and the 'hawks would get "Cap Relief" in 2017 if they recovered the money. I think the Seahawks are perfectly content to eat the dead money (five million) and thus save 6.5million off of next year's cap and let Lynch ride off into the sunset gracefully and with full acclaim.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
There is no way the FO goes after that $5 million!! The fans would put up such a "stink" that the organization would get a "black eye".

chris98251

Reaction score
I think given the effort he made to come back and what he has done it will be a farewell Pension IF he announces retirement officially.

SixSeahawk

Reaction score
Nothinbutm":vl7yxxj3 said:

"Partially"?

He was the offense.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":zgdpc6ch said:
There is no way the FO goes after that $5 million!! The fans would put up such a "stink" that the organization would get a "black eye".
Plenty of fans would have no problem with the Hawks trying to collect some of the money back.

There is a reason teams are allowed to get the money back....because it's fair. Getting a signing bonus and retiring before the contract is up means the player didn't earn the full bonus.

Would most fans object to it? Yes.

But most fans are illogical and have almost no understanding of the salary cap or contracts.

Besides, am I the only one who remembers Lynch strong-arming the Hawks into paying him an EXTRA million dollars for 2015 which he ended up being useless?

He essentially got a RAISE to hang out in Oakland for the season.

We are better off without Lynch, and we would be even better with a little more cap space.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
SixSeahawk":1ft74kvb said:
Nothinbutm":1ft74kvb said:

"Partially"?

He was the offense.
No, he wasn't.

Without Wilson we don't win a damn thing.

Without Baldwin, Tate (previously) we don't win a damn thing.

Besides, he had 15 carries for 39 yards in our super bowl victory. He played like crap. He was among our worst players on offense.

Just because the guy retired doesn't mean people need to revise history and exaggerate what he did.

If Marshawn Lynch "WAS the offense" then we would have zero championships.

Thank God Lynch wasn't our offense.

hawker84

Reaction score
Lynch will always have my admiration and sincere gratitude for what's he's done for this franchise.

Not misty eyed at all, time to move on. And I have no problem with the FO going after whatever money he has not earned by definition of the contract. This is a business...... And we've got championships to win.

OP
OP
Nothinbutm

Nothinbutm

Reaction score
So, bottom line, how much cap space does him retiring free up?

Just the 6.5 million or the full 11?

That cap space can definitely come in handy this off-season.

SeaToTheHawks

Reaction score
Look at it this way: We were probably going to release him anyways and owe him the $5 million regardless. So why try to go after it now? It's a wash.

Polaris

Reaction score
Nothinbutm":2qys6zwn said:

Just 6.5 million. Even if the Seahawks were to go after the 5million (which they won't), that wouldn't be applied in 2016. Instead it would apply retroactively as "cap relief" in 2017.

Not worth it IMHO for the 'hawks.

McGruff

Reaction score
Nothinbutm":140e4a6s said:

It depends on if the team exercises its option to go after his prorated bonus money.

I personally hope they don't. As much as we need the cap space, I think we do a lot more for the cohesion of our team and the culture of our locker room by honoring Marshawn with the bonus.

chris98251

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":17wx8b6h said:
SixSeahawk":17wx8b6h said:
Nothinbutm":17wx8b6h said:

"Partially"?

He was the offense.
No, he wasn't.

Without Wilson we don't win a damn thing.

Without Baldwin, Tate (previously) we don't win a damn thing.

Besides, he had 15 carries for 39 yards in our super bowl victory. He played like crap. He was among our worst players on offense.

Just because the guy retired doesn't mean people need to revise history and exaggerate what he did.

If Marshawn Lynch "WAS the offense" then we would have zero championships.

Thank God Lynch wasn't our offense.

He was the whole defensive game plan for Denver to key on him, they dared Wilson to beat them with the pass, you take away the go to aspect, Wilson by many had not proved he could beat teams with our receivers throwing the ball. The defense won the game but Wilson made them pay for not respecting our passing game, that was because of the fear of Lynch running the ball. They sold out to stop Lynch, why it could be argued he was the catalyst for what happened.

King Dog

Reaction score
No worries if the FO goes after Beast Mode's signing bonus. One of you will start a Go Fund Me page for him lol

Jiggy

Reaction score
I've been under the impression that the front office strives to be player friendly. They want players coming here, wanting to play for Seattle.

Going after this 5 million does nothing for that, it does quite the opposite.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
We would still have the $5 million cap hit next year regardless. Getting a couple million back for 2017 probably isn't worth it. The damage to 2016 is done.

redhawk253

Reaction score
The 5 mill bonus is a 2.5 mill hit this year and next from what i understand. I heard something about it being able to be rolled over to 2017 if he doesnt submit his retirement papers prior to june 1st or somethin like that?

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/696822323265953792[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/_dbfresh88/status/696821954364338176[/tweet]

mrt144

Reaction score
Jiggy":2xmmn96u said:
I've been under the impression that the front office strives to be player friendly. They want players coming here, wanting to play for Seattle.

Going after this 5 million does nothing for that, it does quite the opposite.

But that's contra to the arm chair GMs who have won the SB 10 years in a row in Madden.

Hawks46

Reaction score
SeaToTheHawks":1s2honk2 said:
Look at it this way: We were probably going to release him anyways and owe him the $5 million regardless. So why try to go after it now? It's a wash.

This. Right here.

Both sides knew it was a one year contract. The FO knew they would not pay Lynch 11.5 million to play this next year, regardless of how well he played.

Either way the money is gone. Retiring lets us roll half of it into 2017, and letting him keep the money shows the other players that you do get rewarded for playing hard and giving up your body.