Off season work

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
The major consensus is that the front office needs to and absolutely must work on the offensive line this off season. Other areas of perceived need are the d-line depending on what they do with Mebane, OLB replacement or resign Irvin and a CB opposite of Sherm. These are the most obvious "this is what needs to be done" stuff that we as fans know about.

But what about other fixes to work on? The 2015 season did not have a single pick 6. It also seemed like the turnovers just weren't as prevalent as previous years under PC. The defense was much better at the end of the season than it was at the beginning. Growing pains for Kris Richard? I know that they talk about being a ball hawing team, but is this something they can work on in the off season?

What other areas need work? Besides the front page, everybody talks about stuff.

jblaze

Reaction score
There's several "backpage" things that need worked on.

1. We need a second CB. Simon can't stay healthy and is unreliable and emotional. We need to draft another bigger CB to play opposite Sherm and I think we go draft with the 2nd/3rd round.

2. KPL didn't work out this year like they had hoped. They wanted to move KJ over to SAM and let KPL play Will but they don't trust KPL so I think they have to go to the draft here also. Otherwise they may be looking at letting Marsh take a shot at OLB. KPL is fast but is lost in coverage, something he never did in college and hasn't seemed able to pick it up thus far.

3. Nose tackle and 3T are requirements. I think we resign Rubin and let Mebane walk. We also use #26 on a run stuffing DT to take Mebane's spot. There's a ton of talent on the DL early this draft and FA is not littered with talent this year.

4. What to do about Bennett, Kam and Doug who all wants raises? I think we reward Bennett who did it the right way and had a monster year. Convert some of his salary to signing bonus to give more guaranteed. Kam had a down year and no longer has leverage for a raise although he may hold out again or push for a trade. I don't think we do that since he still has a couple of productive years left and our return on trade would be low. Doug probably gets an extension and a fat raise.

5. OL is an obvious concern. Let Okung walk and re-sign Sweezy. Draft T around 2-4 rounds and let Gilliam start at LT next year with rookie at RT. Also need to draft a center fairly early. Britt stays at LG. Big questions here, lots that could happen.

6. Need to draft a 3rd down back to replace Jackson. Rawls will be 1, Michael 2 and we'll draft a RB 4-5 that can pass protect and catch the ball out of the backfield.

7. What do we do with Jon Ryan? It wasn't hist best year and you could potentially draft a punter late although they probably re-sign him to a moderate deal.

I love the offseason!

scutterhawk

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":dv7ko9xt said:
The major consensus is that the front office needs to and absolutely must work on the offensive line this off season. Other areas of perceived need are the d-line depending on what they do with Mebane, OLB replacement or resign Irvin and a CB opposite of Sherm. These are the most obvious "this is what needs to be done" stuff that we as fans know about.

But what about other fixes to work on? The 2015 season did not have a single pick 6. It also seemed like the turnovers just weren't as prevalent as previous years under PC. The defense was much better at the end of the season than it was at the beginning. Growing pains for Kris Richard? I know that they talk about being a ball hawing team, but is this something they can work on in the off season?

What other areas need work? Besides the front page, everybody talks about stuff.
I miss Quinn & Ken Norton Jr., the input by these two were integral to the whole Defensive schemes formula.

chris98251

Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong but Michael is also a FA at this point, we have Rawls, Coleman under contract and that's it, Coleman could be done based on his arrest that leaves Rawls and Cottom from the PS who they now have listed as a TE.

Brandon Cottom
# 42 TE Height : 6-2 Weight: 262 Age 23 Purdue Rookie

Basis4day

Reaction score
chris98251":bft0k5wg said:
Correct me if I am wrong but Michael is also a FA at this point, we have Rawls, Coleman under contract and that's it, Coleman could be done based on his arrest that leaves Rawls and Cottom from the PS who they now have listed as a TE.

Brandon Cottom
# 42 TE Height : 6-2 Weight: 262 Age 23 Purdue Rookie

Michael and Coleman are both RFA when free agency begins.

Basis4day

Reaction score
jblaze":1l604sxy said:
There's several "backpage" things that need worked on.

4. What to do about Bennett, Kam and Doug who all wants raises? I think we reward Bennett who did it the right way and had a monster year. Convert some of his salary to signing bonus to give more guaranteed. Kam had a down year and no longer has leverage for a raise although he may hold out again or push for a trade. I don't think we do that since he still has a couple of productive years left and our return on trade would be low. Doug probably gets an extension and a fat raise.

When did Baldwin indicate he wanted a raise? I agree his contract situation could lead to some difficulty, but i hadn't seen him do anything public.

firebee

Reaction score
Off the cap and away from the players... We should probably look to bring in a couple of coaches. We've been hit pretty hard over the last couple of years, especially on defense... Quinn, Ken Norton Jr., Marquand Manuel.. We saw the drop off without those guys this last year. Wouldn't mind seeing if we could bring in Bo Pelini and Greg Robinson to help stack up our defensive coaching staff and add some input. Both are available, both are familiar with Pete Carroll and both have remarkable defensive minds.