Defense wins championships

gowazzu02

Reaction score
That was on display again last night. Made me think a bit about the transition of the hawks and RW. I hope the team never strays from the run and defense mentality. The second half of our year was "sexy" but when we got to the playoffs it ultimately failed us. Defense, defense and more defense.

jblaze

Reaction score
Amen!

All the rules and tendencies of the NFL have been shifting towards 5,000 yard passers and spread offenses but defenses and running/stopping the run will always rule.

Pete and John know this. More specifically on defense, pass rush is king. I think we take DL at #26. The draft is loaded with DL talent early this year.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
gowazzu02":27euu2n1 said:
That was on display again last night. Made me think a bit about the transition of the hawks and RW. I hope the team never strays from the run and defense mentality. The second half of our year was "sexy" but when we got to the playoffs it ultimately failed us. Defense, defense and more defense.
So we hang Wilson out to dry, and don't make special effort at trying to give him a little more protection?
The reason that the second half of the Season was "Sexy", was because Wilson was afforded a little more protection.
The Marshawn Lynch ship has sailed, and pounding the rock will never be the same, so I see the Seahawks going with the RB by committee, but they still need protection for RW to make that formula successful.....There's just no getting around it.
And one of the main reasons that we failed in the Playoffs wasn't just because of our lack of Run game, it was more directly tied to having to play a 10:00 AM game in minus 23 degree temp (which we still lucked out a win), but to be subjected to another 10:00 game the following Week.
These are detrimental to optimum play, and the proof?....Look no further than how they were able to start getting in sync. in the second half of the game, with both Offense, & Defense.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
We want BOTH a good offense and defense. To be to reliant on 1-side is where things come apart. We should have a good defense and if the offense is much more effective particularly in the 1st half of the season that will only make things better for us in the long run.