Dynasty/Legacy

HawkGA

Reaction score
Whose is better, Seahawks or Broncos?

It hit me this morning that both teams have been to 2 out of the last 3 Super Bowls, both teams winning one and losing one.

Obviously, I'm a bit of a homer so I'm going to favor the Seahawks and on initial blush, I wouldn't think it was even close. But the numbers do actually make it close. People are comparing the Denver D this year as one of the best all time, though I don't think it compares that well to the Seahawks during their Super Bowl run. The Seahawks formula was largely the same so they have an established identify, but Denver went to two Super Bowls with essentially two different identities. I'm not sure which is better. I suspect for "dynasty" perspective, consistency is more important but it is rather impressive to change your stripes within two years the way Denver did.

McGruff

Reaction score
HawkGA":27eeey7g said:

It hit me this morning that both teams have been to 2 out of the last 3 Super Bowls, both teams winning one and losing one.

Obviously, I'm a bit of a homer so I'm going to favor the Seahawks and on initial blush, I wouldn't think it was even close. But the numbers do actually make it close. People are comparing the Denver D this year as one of the best all time, though I don't think it compares that well to the Seahawks during their Super Bowl run. The Seahawks formula was largely the same so they have an established identify, but Denver went to two Super Bowls with essentially two different identities. I'm not sure which is better. I suspect for "dynasty" perspective, consistency is more important but it is rather impressive to change your stripes within two years the way Denver did.

To even talk about dynasty you have to look at the QB position, and at this point its Russell Wilson versus Blake OsWeiller.

I think that says everything that needs to be said.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Neither team is anywhere near being a dynasty right now. As for who did better in the last three years? We won a Superbowl, Lost a Superbowl and lost one time in the divisonal round. Same as the Broncos. Post-season record for us is 6-2, while the Broncos went 5-2. Seahawk regular season record over the last three years is 35-13. For the Broncos it's 37-11. We won our divison 2 out of 3 years, while the Broncos won it all three years. So if you're looking at that then it's incredibly close with a slight edge for the Broncos because of their extra division title.

If we're talking about what single incarnation of a team was the best? 2013 Seahawks would beat the 2015 Broncos no doubt. Who's better right now? Seahawks again. With Manning retiring and the Broncos facing some difficult cap decisions we're looking better for sure.

In short numbers say Broncos, eye test says Hawks.

McGruff

Reaction score
Overseasfan":3phnzugt said:
Neither team is anywhere near being a dynasty right now. As for who did better in the last three years? We won a Superbowl, Lost a Superbowl and lost one time in the divisonal round. Same as the Broncos. Post-season record for us is 6-2, while the Broncos went 5-2. Seahawk regular season record over the last three years is 35-13. For the Broncos it's 37-11. We won our divison 2 out of 3 years, while the Broncos won it all three years. So if you're looking at that then it's incredibly close with a slight edge for the Broncos because of their extra division title.

If we're talking about what single incarnation of a team was the best? 2013 Seahawks would beat the 2015 Broncos no doubt. Who's better right now? Seahawks again. With Manning retiring and the Broncos facing some difficult cap decisions we're looking better for sure.

Go back one more year and we were two Tony Gonzalez receptions away from a third Superbowl appearance.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
The numbers might betray me but the 2013 Seahawks defense was historic. One that will be remembered as one of the all-time best. No other current era team has had a nickname like Legion of Boom to go along with all the classics from days gone by. The 2015 Broncos defense was no slouch, and showed how good they were against the Panthers in the Super Bowl but I wouldn't consider them in the conversation for historic like our 2013 defense was.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Yeah neither is a dynasty.

Comparing the two SB teams the Hawks had a better overall defense, a more well rounded offense and a more convincing beatdown..........the Panthers were in that game all the way til like the 5:00 mark in the 4th quarter.

The Hawks put a beatdown on the #1 offense of all time in 2013 from the first whistle.

Both great teams, but IMO the edge is Hawks right now.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I actually thought a bit about this Sunday night. How hyped would a Super Bowl next year be with Seattle/Denver? Each team in 3 out of last 4 SB's with a chance to win 2 out of last 4! I can hear the hype machine warming up now!

Vetamur

Reaction score
Is the defense a dynasty yet? Its not a sexy stat but 4 straight years of being the top scoring defense is very impressive...

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Vetamur":112k1hol said:
Is the defense a dynasty yet? Its not a sexy stat but 4 straight years of being the top scoring defense is very impressive...

Our defense will be remembered many years from now as one of the best ever. The 2013 D specifically is in the conversation for best defense ever alongside the '85 Bears and 2000 Ravens.

Bwarren

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":dltruz4b said:
I actually thought a bit about this Sunday night. How hyped would a Super Bowl next year be with Seattle/Denver? Each team in 3 out of last 4 SB's with a chance to win 2 out of last 4! I can hear the hype machine warming up now!

That my friend would be an awesome Super Bowl

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Overseasfan":2j4no4r3 said:

Why do you say we aren't anywhere near a dynasty? I'd be interested to know what your opinion of what a dynasty is.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
If we are a Dynasty so are were the Buffalo Bills.

Subjective word but I think while the Seahawks are a team other teams fear, so were the Steelers. Was that a Dynasty?

Dynasty is a special word used for team that generally is the dominant team of the decade, or one of them. Usually that team has multiple SB titles.

We might have been considered a dynasty if we won that other SB and made another, but I wouldn't consider a team that made 2 SBs and won 1 a dynasty. We would need at least 1 more win and I would think at least 2 more trips.

There seems to be this weird belief that because we sucked for so long, we deserve a dynasty or earned it. We could just try enjoying a damn good team and THE best years in Seahawk history instead of worrying about how other football fans will see us 10 years from now.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":2tqwbhwy said:
Why do you say we aren't anywhere near a dynasty? I'd be interested to know what your opinion of what a dynasty is.

Google football dynasties, and every example will teams like the 70's Steelers, 90's Niners, etc that won AT LEAST 2-3 SB's within a short window of time.

How can a team that's only won one SB and lost another the next year be considered a "dynasty?" The very definition of the word means successive or sequence.

mrt144

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3pkvad9n said:
seahawkfreak":3pkvad9n said:

Google football dynasties, and every example will teams like the 70's Steelers, 90's Niners, etc that won AT LEAST 2-3 SB's within a short window of time.

How can a team that's only won one SB and lost another the next year be considered a "dynasty?" The very definition of the word means successive or sequence.

Urge to play Crusader Kings II, rising, rising...

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":14rksv6h said:
seahawkfreak":14rksv6h said:

I added "Legacy" in part because I thought Dynasty was a bit premature. That said, I feel pretty confident that when we look back at a team of the decade, this decade will be the Seahawks. Other "Teams of the Decade" won multiple Super Bowls, true, but they did it in an era without free agency and the salary cap (except for the Patriots who get the team of the 00s).

scutterhawk

Reaction score
HawkGA":dwmt349c said:

The Seahawks D held one of the GOAT Quarterbacks to 8 garbage time points.
The Donko's Defense shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as the 1985 Bears, let alone the 2014 Seahawks.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkGA":3j6xuinb said:
Sgt. Largent":3j6xuinb said:
seahawkfreak":3j6xuinb said:

I added "Legacy" in part because I thought Dynasty was a bit premature. That said, I feel pretty confident that when we look back at a team of the decade, this decade will be the Seahawks. Other "Teams of the Decade" won multiple Super Bowls, true, but they did it in an era without free agency and the salary cap (except for the Patriots who get the team of the 00s).

I hope you're right. This team certainly has the talent to win a couple more before the Wilson/Sherman/Earl/B-Wags/Bennett era is over.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Neither team is a dynasty.

Both teams have played in 2 super bowls, winning one and losing one.

If i had to give the edge to one team, it would be the Broncos and here's why:

1. The main reason for Denver winning is its defense, which it just won with. The seahawks also won with defense but we are not as good as we were (Denver overtook us).

2. While Osweiler doesn't instill much confidence, if he is the starter next year he would presumably be a tiny bit better AND they would have some of Manning's money available for offensive weapons, although I think some of Manning's cap space was already earmarked for some of the defensive players' escalating salaries.

3. John Elway. He managed to make a Super Bowl team even better, while Schneider has been unable to avoid our decline. He just might find a way to bring in a qb who is better than Manning was, who will be paid less than Manning was.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2lnorgsm said:
seahawkfreak":2lnorgsm said:

Ok, so if we win next year there's 2 out of 4. How is that not close?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Overseasfan":3cfuvf37 said:

One thing you don't factor in is that the Broncos play in the weak AFC and the AFC West has been weak,I mean that has to count against the Broncos