Tharold Simon...

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Just re-watching the 49'ers game and watching Simon get burned...

Has me wondering for, next year, how many times he gets torched and gives the push off sign to the refs??

:229031_shrug:

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Man I clicked on this thread expecting it was going to be a report that he injured himself oh I don't know, walking into the kitchen or something.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Cyrus12":2a8nnfet said:
just watching 49 again watching simon get burned...has me wondering for next year how many times he gets torched and gives the push off sign to the refs??
I haven't been impressed with him on the rare times he is on the field. XLIX is exhibit A, plus he seems like a hot head.
Hope I'm wrong on all counts but I doubt I am in this case.

kobebryant

Reaction score
I liked what I saw from him when he was playing on the outside during the 2014 season.

Someone with that long build like Simon/Sherman have shouldn't be asked to try to cover the quick Edelman/Amendola types out of the slot when they can go any direction, so I don't put too much stock into 49.

The other DBs seem to be very very high on him; though his health is paramount.

NYCoug

Reaction score
I don't understand how and why the rest of the secondary gets a pass for playing injured during Super Bowl 49 and Simon doesn't. I just don't understand. He tried playing through a dislocated shoulder and it just didn't work out with him being exploited by Belicheck, Brady, and Edelman.

Before his injury, he was actually playing pretty damn well when he was in there. I don't recall the exact numbers, but I know that his QB rating against was pretty impressive.

Having said all this, it'll be interesting to see if Tharold can shake off the rust and turn his contract year into a huge contract somewhere else. Something tells me the Seahawks will take it slow with him, given his injury history, and that he might only start to blossom towards seasons end/potentially playoff time. This could lead to a nifty new deal for him, or he might be forced to have to sign a prove-it deal with Seattle or perhaps one of our rivals. Who knows. This is all dependant on Simon staying healthy, which is far from a given.

Still, I was impressed with what he showed in 2014 prior to getting hurt late in the year and was comfortable, confident in fact, with the thought of him replacing Maxwell. It just didn't work out that way. The dude was a gamer and gave it all he had though. It just didn't work out and unfortunately for him and us, the Patriots exploited his injury and neophyte playoff experience when it mattered @ XLIXX. He still has my respect though, and the hope that he bounces back strong and has a stellar year.

pehawk

Reaction score
NYCoug":1a2irdar said:
I don't understand how and why the rest of the secondary gets a pass for playing injured during Super Bowl 49 and Simon doesn't. I just don't understand. He tried playing through a dislocated shoulder and it just didn't work out with him being exploited by Belicheck, Brady, and Edelman.

Before his injury, he was actually playing pretty damn well when he was in there. I don't recall the exact numbers, but I know that his QB rating against was pretty impressive.

Having said all this, it'll be interesting to see if Tharold can shake off the rust and turn his contract year into a huge contract somewhere else. Something tells me the Seahawks will take it slow with him, given his injury history, and that he might only start to blossom towards seasons end/potentially playoff time. This could lead to a nifty new deal for him, or he might be forced to have to sign a prove-it deal with Seattle or perhaps one of our rivals. Who knows. This is all dependant on Simon staying healthy, which is far from a given.

Still, I was impressed with what he showed in 2014 prior to getting hurt late in the year and was comfortable, confident in fact, with the thought of him replacing Maxwell. It just didn't work out that way. The dude was a gamer and gave it all he had though. It just didn't work out and unfortunately for him and us, the Patriots exploited his injury and neophyte playoff experience when it mattered @ XLIXX. He still has my respect though, and the hope that he bounces back strong and has a stellar year.

Because actually understanding the circumstances is a bit too much time and effort. Simon played outstanding in 2014, when healthy.

Besides, if we're blaming people for that loss you could also call out Pete for his odd inactive list that game. Could've avoided Simon situation altogether.

Simon has the best pure physical traits of any corner on the team.

NYCoug

Reaction score
pehawk":2har75ih said:
NYCoug":2har75ih said:

Because actually understanding the circumstances is a bit too much time and effort. Simon played outstanding in 2014, when healthy.

Besides, if we're blaming people for that loss you could also call out Pete for his odd inactive list that game. Could've avoided Simon situation altogether.

Simon has the best pure physical traits of any corner on the team.

Pe, when I saw you reply to my post, "Hello" by Lionel Richie started playing in my head. Dont know if that means there's something wrong with you, or with me. Don't care.

Agreed on having Helfet active over Burley. Especially so when you consider that Helfet barely factored into the game/game plan at all. But what do we know? We're just two hacks. Two Joe Schmo's for cryin' out loud!

The CB battle intrigues me more than the OL shakeup does, for some strange reason. Simon, Lane?!?, Seisay, Jean-Baptiste, Tye Smith, oh man! If only 1 or 2 of them blossom we'll be in great shape moving forward!

kearly

Reaction score
It's because a lot of people just don't like Simon. He gets burned sometimes, but more importantly he's a huge penalty magnet. I forget the numbers but in 2014 he was probably the most flagged player in the NFL on a per snap basis.

Fans like consistent players who don't make mistakes. And vice-versa. Perception was against him even before he got killed in SB49.

That he's played so few snaps in 3 seasons thanks to injuries isn't helping.

idahohawk

Reaction score
Simon was injured in XLIX as well. He may be the X factor for our secondary, IF (HUGE IF) he can stay healthy.

Cyrus12":14fw1amg said:
just watching 49 again watching simon get burned...has me wondering for next year how many times he gets torched and gives the push off sign to the refs??

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Simon is an outside CB. If I am correct didn't he play the slot CB meaning he had to cover the slot WR (usually the quicker and smaller guys) in the SB..? I really like Simon when he is on the outside not in the slot.

pehawk

Reaction score
kearly":312youta said:
It's because a lot of people just don't like Simon. He gets burned sometimes, but more importantly he's a huge penalty magnet. I forget the numbers but in 2014 he was probably the most flagged player in the NFL on a per snap basis.

Fans like consistent players who don't make mistakes. And vice-versa. Perception was against him even before he got killed in SB49.

That he's played so few snaps in 3 seasons thanks to injuries isn't helping.

Fair enough ,but if memory serves, alot/most of his flags were early in year and kinda bullshit. As the year wore on he figured out the nuances. And how to stay out of penalty loop.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Simon will stun Seattle fans with his talent. I don't get dogging a hurt player, he was actually very, very good before he injured his arm.

If he can stay healthy.

The last year of the deal is do or die for guys opposite Sherm. Browner, Maxie, and I expect Lane get paid or will get paid because this.

A competition between Simon and Smith is nothing but good for Seattle fans.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I seem to remember that some of the LOB were happy about him being there.

Not sure what more kind of validation you could ask for.

Also, who the flip else do you think we have waiting in the wings to take over?

CBs are a premium, we just watched a garbage CB get millions of dollars for being a disaster or a nobody cares all year...and our response is to call out a kid that played for us while injured.

Simon is one of the few hopes we have. You notice our defense is slowly being chiseled away by free agency, age, injuries and cuts? And again, it is going to be hard for him to end up playing worse than guys like CJ - who got the start and probably cost us at least 2 games, possibly 3.

The thing about asking guys to play injured is it makes healing harder and increases the chance to injure something on top of it. He should have been lauded for even playing in the game.

I have no idea where the Simon dislike comes from, did he fail to jump on fumble or something?

Vetamur

Reaction score
Richard Sherman likes him a lot and thats good enough for me. I thought we was playing excellent in training camp, and thought most of his problems in the Super Bowl were due to injury or were learnable technique. Still hoping he can stay healthy and contribute.

kearly

Reaction score
pehawk":2d9ybwbi said:
Fair enough ,but if memory serves, alot/most of his flags were early in year and kinda bullshit. As the year wore on he figured out the nuances. And how to stay out of penalty loop.

Simon was one of my favorite picks in 2013. I'm rooting for him and I think he's showed stretches of very good play. But I also 100% understand why some fans think he's garbage. He does all the things that irritate the hell out of casual viewers and pundits.

peppersjap

Reaction score
NYCoug":grw8e234 said:

If Simon was injured at the Super Bowl enough to get torched the way he did he should have bowed out before the game and we could have had Burley active. He was horrible. He looked good in the pre season this year and got peoples hopes up but then back to the injuries. He definitely has some potential but he has been a disappointment (penalties, injuries and whining to the ref's).

Largent80

Reaction score
He has been a dissapointment. Mainly because he can't get on or stay on the field. A person can't get better at anything without practice and gigs.

themunn

Reaction score
Maxwell was constantly injured his first 3 years too

pehawk

Reaction score
themunn":dj9sbdoo said:
Maxwell was constantly injured his first 3 years too

No way!? Hmm, odd.

Seattle corners all look like awkward, discarded, soccer players built out of spare GI Joe parts. Pete literally molds them. Except for Simon...he just walks, runs, moves like a traditional CB.

Simon has the highest ceiling in secondary right now. People need to chill.