T-Jack

HawkGA

Reaction score
Gonna test free agency, it sounds like. Think he'll get any takers? Read an article earlier today where his agent (I presume it was his agent, anyway) said the market was strong for him last year. Didn't he come back for the league minimum? Maybe he didn't, I don't really know.

Either way, think he gets any takers this year or does he come back? I'm kind of thinking the Hawks might let him walk since he's just going to keep getting more expensive, but there's no obvious #2 QB if Jackson leaves.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
He was a relative bargain last year at $1.5 million when guys like Shaun Hill were making $4 million. He has been a good mentor to Russ and he knows the offense and our personnel well. I'd like to see him back for around $2 million to keep the continuity in place.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
I think this is probably the season we part ways with TJ! and if that is indeed the case I will have a lot of soul searching to do before reporting to camp.

stang233

Reaction score
I want VA in a hawk uni so bad. Kid is a winner. I say take him 3rd 4th rnd

peppersjap

Reaction score
I'm on the Vernon Adams wagon too but I don't think I would go any higher than a 4th for him and that might not be good enough. One of the analysts I listened to yesterday said he would go on the 3rd day of the draft but I think it was Kiper who said he thought because of the success of Wilson and the similarities in his game play someone will grab him in the 3rd. He would be the perfect back up here.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
I would not expect them to draft a QB any higher than the 6th round. Chances are they don't draft one at all. My guess? They sign a vet as a backup. After all. What kind of messege would they be sending to RW if they draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th round?

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
MD5eahawks":313nxrn2 said:
I would not expect them to draft a QB any higher than the 6th round. Chances are they don't draft one at all. My guess? They sign a vet as a backup. After all. What kind of messege would they be sending to RW if they draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th round?
Exactly. That's why you offer Tarvaris a modest raise (maybe even a two-year deal), you call it good at the QB position and you go chase a Super Bowl. It's about Russell being comfortable and he's gone on record saying T-Jack has been a good guy to have in the film room and on the sidelines. Keep that continuity there for him. The rah-rah Always comPete thing is great for the bulk of the team, but it does not pertain to our quarterback spot for at least the next couple of years.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
TJ is wise to both explore and maybe drive up his market.

pehawk

Reaction score
Tjack and Jules from Pulp Fiction have the exact same wallet. Truebill.

Vernon Adam's hands will be used as a key chain when he leaves this earth. True story. He has itty, bitty, lil baby hands. He can't palm a satsuma, let alone a football. I like my QB'S and my men to be big handed.

pugs1

Reaction score
Anybody think Phillip Sims has got a chance to be the backup? Saw that the Hawks signed him the other day. I was shocked he didn't make the Cardinals roster last year.[youtube]http://youtu.be/sZSilxg6nDk [/youtube]

pugs1

Reaction score
Anybody think Phillip Sims has got a chance to be the backup? Saw that the Hawks signed him the other day. I was shocked he didn't make the Cardinals roster last year.[youtube]http://youtu.be/sZSilxg6nDk [/youtube]

Popeyejones

Reaction score
The going rate for a good backup QB these days is probably around 3 million or so.

It's an interesting situation, IMO.

For Jackson I don't think there's really going to be a market for him, or that anyone will offer him more than he's already getting.

For the Seahawks things have really changed. Unlike years past they don't really have the cap room to burn millions on a backup QB. Likewise, as the offense has become more centered around Wilson, I think the NEED for a backup QB like Jackson has also declined. Basically, in previous years when the offense centered around Lynch if Wilson got injured the spend for having a guy like Jackson behind him made a lot of sense; Jackson could come in and still give the team a good chance of winning because what was asked of the QB wasn't that much compared to other teams. Now that Wilson is more the focal point of the offense, in a weird way Jackson is less valuable, because if WIlson goes does the team is more likely to go down with him.

All in all I think this is the year for the Hawks to draft or try to develop a backup QB rather than sticking with Jackson. That said, if they burn a 3rd or 4th round pick on a backup QB I'll laugh my @ss off. The team has depth problems (and maybe starter problems too depending on how FA shakes out) and that's just a total waste of a draft pick for them right now, especially when also factoring in that 1) Wilson has no injury history and really does a great job of proteceting his body and 2) in a more QB centered offense the difference between a below average and above average backup doesn't actually matter that much. Much smarter IMO would be to focus on very late picks and UFAs for the backup qb spot (bring in about 3 or 4 developmental guys, say), only give Wilson token snaps during the pre-season and let all those guys battle it out for the backup QB spot.

drdiags

Reaction score
[youtube]sZSilxg6nDk[/youtube]

Here you go Pugs1.

EDIT: It is blocked anyway, so you end up having to go to Youtube's website to view it.

firebee

Reaction score
T-Jack knows the system, but he's categorically bad, as in I don't see him winning any games if Wilson went down. I don't even see him not losing games. I'd rather take a late round pick and a cheap FA at a fraction of the cost and let them compete with Simms for the back up. Keep the best option by the end of preseason and roll with it. We save money on the cap and likely end up with a QB that has more upside than T-Jack.

sutz

Reaction score
I'd love to keep Jackson around. I kind of think he might move on, though. We don't necessarily need a 'veteran backup QB' like we maybe did a couple of years ago, and it's not too soon to start developing a young kid behind Russ, for trade value if for no other reason. GB did that for years, it's how we got Matt Hasselbeck, who was the best QB we'd had before Wilson.

It's a little scary, but T-Jack did steer the team to a 7-9 record, before it got as good at it has been the past 3 years. I have confidence that if he was needed to, he could play .500 ball for a few games if he needed to fill in. However, if he gets a deal elsewhere, I could live with it.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
drdiags":17ccrtex said:
[youtube]sZSilxg6nDk[/youtube]

Here you go Pugs1.

EDIT: It is blocked anyway, so you end up having to go to Youtube's website to view it.
I was really liking what I saw from this guy last preseason and was thinking man the Cards have a hidden gem.
Now we have him. :) Looks like he can scramble out of trouble and keeps his eyes downfield, which is a must with our O-line.
I hope he earns the backup role.

Barthawk

Reaction score
Tjack tried FA last year and I am assuming the best offer he could come up with was the $1.5M completely gtd deal from Seattle in June. He was out there for 3+ months with no takers.

Good for Seattle to sign him for that amount and signing him after June 1 is another win because his signing didn't count towards the comp pick calculation.