Short Memories?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I was watching NFL Network the other day and they had one of the Broncos DE in studio to talk about the win...At the end Willie McGinest asks him if he thinks their defense is the best ever. To his credit, the DE deflected and simply said he thought they should be in the conversation.

What sort of pissed me off was McGinest's suggestion that there was no other defense in recent memory to be as dominant. They both acted like they were the only good defense in recent years that wreaked havoc in a Super Bowl.

Wait, excuse me?

How about the 2013 Seattle Seahawks defense that absolutely DESTROYED what was then the NFL's most prolific offense of ALL TIME for 60 minutes, the likes of which this planet has never born witness to?

Wow, short memories indeed.

I can give Denver's 2015 defense their due respect, but let's not forget they were BORN from the 2013 Seahawks defensive template!

A tiny smidge of recognition would be nice. After all, it's the least they could do to what TRULY is one of the best defenses in NFL history.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
2013 Seahawks - Beat the #1 highest scoring offense in NFL history, held to 8 pts
Yards 1
Points 1

Passing 1
Rushing 7

2015 Broncos - Beat the #22 highest scoring offense in NFL history, held to 10 pts
Yards 1
Points 4

Passing 1
Rushing 3

Yep, short memories. I'm not saying the Denver defense isnt amazing, but its not as good as the 2013 LOB. Nope.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":3oer1qlc said:
2013 Seahawks - Beat the #1 highest scoring offense in NFL history, held to 8 pts
Yards 1
Points 1

Passing 1
Rushing 7

2015 Broncos - Beat the #22 highest scoring offense in NFL history, held to 10 pts
Yards 1
Points 4

Passing 1
Rushing 3

Yep, short memories. I'm not saying the Denver defense isnt amazing, but its not as good as the 2013 LOB. Nope.
Was just going to post this. The 2013 XLVIII championship Hawks defense stopped "the world's best damn offense" in its tracks and held them to 8 points. 8 < 10 according to most math. ....and I'm not taking anything away from the Donks great performance in L.

ivotuk

Reaction score
The Broncos weren't even the best defense this year. The Seahawks were.

There is only one thing that matters in NFL games, number of points. And the Seahawks were the #1 Scoring Defense AGAIN! A team can be #1 in yards, but still lose games to turnovers, kick off returns, and punt returns. But if you win the point battle...

And Denver was #3 in Rushing Yards defense this year. #1? Who else? The Seattle Seahawks.

The #1 and #2 Passing yardage defenses? Denver at #1 199.6 passing ypg, Seattle at #2 with 210.2 passing ypg. A difference of 10.6 passing ypg. But let's spin it and make a big deal out of it.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/team?seasonId= ... &Submit=Go

ivotuk

Reaction score
Seattle's #1 Scoring Defense:

2012: 15.3 ppg (#1)

2013: 14.4 ppg (#1)

2014: 15.9 ppg (#1)

2015: 17.3 ppg (#1)

2010: 25.4 ppg (#25)

2011: 19.7 ppg (#7)

Something that you will find with most playoff teams? Winning the ppg battle.

I CHALLENGE our Defense to be the #1 Scoring Defense for a 5th year in a row. I don't think it's ever been done. That would make them a Dynastic Defense

ivotuk

Reaction score
Ugh, and now senile Gil Brandt is getting in on the discussion. putting the 2015 Broncos #3 all time and the 2013 Seahawks #4 all time.

"And, of course, Seattle completely dominated the Broncos -- who, like the Panthers in 2015, were the NFL's highest-scoring offense in 2013 -- in Super Bowl XLVIII."

Ugh Gil, it was the NFL's highest-scoring offense EVER.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... f-all-time

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
I think ol' Gil has to write his address on his hand and ask for help getting home at this point.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Those 8 points came when Denver was down 36-0 as well. That's the equivalent of someone hitting a 2 run homer down 15-0 in the 8th.

But this is how sports are reported now. Everyone wants to live in the moment and crown something as the best ever.

IMO - The Seahawks 13' defense is the best of all time considering who they faced and how different the rules were compared to the mid 80's (Bears) and late 90's - early 00's (Ravens) .. if our defense were allowed the ability to mug WR's the way those were.. a LOT of teams wouldn't have sniffed 8 points.

A

Anonymous

Aros":1a9ia0g9 said:
I was watching NFL Network the other day and they had one of the Broncos DE in studio to talk about the win...At the end Willie McGinest asks him if he thinks their defense is the best ever. To his credit, the DE deflected and simply said he thought they should be in the conversation.

What sort of pissed me off was McGinest's suggestion that there was no other defense in recent memory to be as dominant. They both acted like they were the only good defense in recent years that wreaked havoc in a Super Bowl.

Wait, excuse me?

How about the 2013 Seattle Seahawks defense that absolutely DESTROYED what was then the NFL's most prolific offense of ALL TIME for 60 minutes, the likes of which this planet has never born witness to?

I can give Denver's 2015 defense their due respect, but let's not forget they were BORN from the 2013 Seahawks defensive template!

A tiny smidge of recognition would be nice. After all, it's the least they could do to what TRULY is one of the best defenses in NFL history.

Hear Hear! (...or is it "here here"...? )

:mrgreen:

Saw that too. No respect.

Yet...

Reaction score
I was saying the same thing to my self. All you hear in the days following the superbowl is how the Broncos were one of the best defenses outside of the Bears 85 defense. Its like they forgot how we just weak havoc on opposing teams. Here is an article on nfl.com having us right behind the Broncos 2015 team. To their credit they have us in the top five all time.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... f-all-time

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
The night before, when Aquib Talib was the guest, they gave mad props to the Hawks. Fans vote had them ranked No. 2 behind '85 Bears. Talib didn't come right out and say it, but he indicated the Hawks and the Legion were a bit better.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":3ubdhsdv said:
I think ol' Gil has to write his address on his hand and ask for help getting home at this point.

Dementia is a very, very sad, thing for people to deal with....Poor Gil.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Aros":31vxjrk6 said:

Wait, excuse me?

Two weeks ago they were actually saying how poorly the Denver Broncos had played in 48.
Rather than saying something about the Seahawks Defense that was ripping apart the most prolific Offense in history.
43 to 8 is pretty lop-sided....Short memory & attention span.....a piss poor combination eh?

AVL

Reaction score
Willie is just going off what they did to Tom a couple of weeks prior. No biggie, he's just propping up his man.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I admire you guys for keeping up with the fake outrage no one gives us any respect threads in the off season.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
After SB XLVIII when the "best defense ever" claims were flying around the internet, I did an extensive analysis to determine which of the following teams had the better defense in their day... the 1985 Bears, the 2000 Ravens or the 2013 Seahawks.

My method was based on looking at the points scored by their opponents in each individual game, both regular season and the playoffs, and comparing that score to how many points the opponent scored on average that year.

For example, in week 17 of the 2013 season, Seattle defeated STL by a score of 27-9. In 2013, according to league stats, the Rams scored 17.5 points/game on average. For that game, Seattle logged a -8.5 points because they held their opponent to 8.5 points less than the Rams typically scored that year. Had STL scored 20 points that game, the differential would have been +2.5.

Next, I added up all the point differentials for each game to get a season total differential for each of the three teams. All of them were negative as you can well imagine.

Next I factored in how the game had changed over time by calculating the total number of points scored per game on average. We all know that the recent rule changes favor the offenses... and that is confirmed by the average points scored per game in 1985 by comparison to those scored in 2000 and in 2013. For example, in 2015, the average number of points scored per game has increased 2.5 points more than games played in 1985. I took the average points scored per game in each of the three years into account.

All in all, the 1985 Bears were the clear winners.

The 2013 Seahawks finished 2nd... and the 2000 Ravens finished 3rd.

I recently did the same between the '85 Bears and the 2015 Broncos... and it was no contest... the '85 Bears were head and shoulders better in their era than were the Broncos.

For example, in 1985 during the regular season the Bears defense held their opponents to double digits (greater than or equal to 10 points) less than their opponents scored on average... a whopping 11 times.

In 2015, the Broncos did it only 4 times.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Here's some data from the 2015 Broncos vs. the 1985 Bears.

During the regular season, the 2015 Broncos defense had a -70.1 points differential total against their opponents... the 1985 Bears, -150.6 points.

During the playoffs, the 2015 Broncos defense tallied a total of -41.4 points in 3 games.

The 1985 Bears tallied a differential of -58.8 points in 3 playoff games.

Even after taking into account that 2015 teams scored on average +2.5 points more than their 1985 counterparts, the '85 Bears remain at #1 overall in the modern era.