Khronicles of KASEN

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I am not sure how any UDFA can be considered a bust. You didn't use any draft capital on them, so even if they just make the practice squad, it's a success.

I'd love to get another UDFA star in the likes of Baldwin, Rawls and Kearse. But expecting great things from UDFAs means Schneider has mesmerized us all.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Kasen was a top prospect at UW and considered a 1-2 pick potentially early on at UW. Hoping he surprises people next year.

OP
OP
titan3131

titan3131

Reaction score
I'm not going to argue over my wordchoice. Giving someone a roster spot is a gamble.

He can either boom or bust and the Uw homers expect a boom.

Thanks for adding something to the conversation.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
I don't really expect a lot from him. If Lockette and Prich didn't go down,he and Smith wouldn't even have made the 53 in the first place. Both these guys are nothing more than camp bodies or at best roster depth.

chris98251

Reaction score
Overseasfan":2r9wrq8s said:
I don't really expect a lot from him. If Lockette and Prich didn't go down,he and Smith wouldn't even have made the 53 in the first place. Both these guys are nothing more than camp bodies or at best roster depth.

That initial argument could have been made for Baldwin and Kearse as well as Rawls.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
He caught this.

T6IZq8B

Kasen is the most physically talented WR on the roster and one of the most physically talented WRs the Hawks have had in a while. Obviously he doesn't have the pure quicks of Baldwin, the jets of Lockett, or the smarts and route running of Kearse, but he's got all the tools you want for a WR physically. What he hasn't done is put it all together and between that, the QB play at UW, and the injury, he's got some catching up to do.

CPHawk

Reaction score
vin.couve12":12w0hqel said:
He caught this.

T6IZq8B

Kasen is the most physically talented WR on the roster and one of the most physically talented WRs the Hawks have had in a while. Obviously he doesn't have the pure quicks of Baldwin, the jets of Lockett, or the smarts and route running of Kearse, but he's got all the tools you want for a WR physically. What he hasn't done is put it all together and between that, the QB play at UW, and the injury, he's got some catching up to do.

Physically talented? Why because of his size 6'3 217? He's not all that fast, 4.6-4.7, with a avg 35" for NFL WR vertical. Nothing about him makes him the most talented on the team, and he has average hands to below avg hands. If he wasn't a husky, I doubt he would even make a blip on anyone's radar here.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
CPHawk":1pjnklzg said:
vin.couve12":1pjnklzg said:
He caught this.

T6IZq8B

Physically talented? Why because of his size 6'3 217? He's not all that fast, 4.6-4.7, with a avg 35" for NFL WR vertical. Nothing about him makes him the most talented on the team, and he has average hands to below avg hands. If he wasn't a husky, I doubt he would even make a blip on anyone's radar here.

He's actually not quite that tall. Closer to 6'2 actually. And those speed and vert numbers are those of an athlete recovering from a very, very bad injury and he still wasn't 100% even at the start of last year. As a combination athlete, I'll stand by what I said. Balance and body control are off the charts. He is a real acrobat at that size. While we may never know his real 40 or vert, you see that he can get behind defenses and make big plays down the sideline. When the ball is in the air is when he is at his best though. He bested Sherman a few times in camp last year.

As for the frat comment, you won't see me advocating Smith in this same fashion. I like Smith, but he has a much more limited ceiling. He's a guy who can stick around as one of those gritty 5th and 6th stringers who bring a lot of value as a tough STer.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
chris98251":3jlp9q8r said:
Overseasfan":3jlp9q8r said:

That initial argument could have been made for Baldwin and Kearse as well as Rawls.

Rawls beat out Turbin and Michael for the back up role behind Lynch. Baldwin saw playing time during week 1 in his rookie year and continued the year with a considerable amount of targets. A case could be made for Kearse as he didn't really see a lot of playing time in his first year and became a really solid player during his 2nd year.

However, Kearse made the roster right away and was never cut. Smith on the other hand couldn't make a 53 man roster in his first year and had to play arena football. During this year he was waived twice by us before being put on the PS and only making the 53 as a replacement. Williams shows more promise as a standout in high school and the first two years in college but he was never the same after his injury. We only managed to get our hands on him because he failed a physical for the Bengals and even then was on the PS first and only got in as a replacement as well.

I'm not saying they aren't likely to succeed because they went undrafted, I'm saying they are unlikely to succeed because they haven't impressed at all so far.

chris98251

Reaction score
Overseasfan":3era4xnv said:
chris98251":3era4xnv said:
Overseasfan":3era4xnv said:

Rawls beat out Turbin and Michael for the back up role behind Lynch. Baldwin saw playing time during week 1 in his rookie year and continued the year with a considerable amount of targets. A case could be made for Kearse as he didn't really see a lot of playing time in his first year and became a really solid player during his 2nd year.

However, Kearse made the roster right away and was never cut. Smith on the other hand couldn't make a 53 man roster in his first year and had to play arena football. During this year he was waived twice by us before being put on the PS and only making the 53 as a replacement. Williams shows more promise as a standout in high school and the first two years in college but he was never the same after his injury. We only managed to get our hands on him because he failed a physical for the Bengals and even then was on the PS first and only got in as a replacement as well.

I'm not saying they aren't likely to succeed because they went undrafted, I'm saying they are unlikely to succeed because they haven't impressed at all so far.

The teams depth is a far cry from the days Baldwin and Kearse were picked up, much harder to impress now with the talent level that is on the field versus when Pete and John first came in, then apples and oranges, now mandarins and and Oranges.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
If he wasn't a local kid people wouldn't even care about him. Expectations would be zero and this thread wouldn't exist.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":2f8ebf5h said:
If he wasn't a local kid people wouldn't even care about him. Expectations would be zero and this thread wouldn't exist.
He's a stud talent and Pete is on record saying they've known who he is since high school. That's not some message board mumbo jumbo.

[youtube]P2pXk4KTi00[/youtube]

[youtube]9ViXYtVO0Pg[/youtube]

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
vin.couve12":wna23x6w said:
ImTheScientist":wna23x6w said:
He's a stud talent and Pete is on record saying they've known who he is since high school. That's not some message board mumbo jumbo.

Nothing points to him being a stud talent. He wasn't a 5 star recruit, wasn't drafted, didn't do much in college, hasn't done anything in the NFL.Sorry... Only u think he's a talent.

chris98251

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":8of0fxzy said:
vin.couve12":8of0fxzy said:
ImTheScientist":8of0fxzy said:

Nothing points to him being a stud talent. He wasn't a 5 star recruit, wasn't drafted, didn't do much in college, hasn't done anything in the NFL.Sorry... Only u think he's a talent.

I think you have bad info.

Kasen Williams
WR Sammamish, Washington Skyline High School 6 ft 1 in (1.85 m) 197 lb (89 kg) 4.60 Aug 28, 2010
Scout:5/5 stars Rivals:4/5 stars 247Sports:4/5 stars
Overall recruiting rankings: Scout: 2 (WR) Rivals: 13 (WR), 2 (Washington)
‡ Refers to 40 yard dash
Note: In many cases, Scout, Rivals, 247Sports, and ESPN may conflict in their listings of height, weight and 40 time.
In these cases, the average was taken. ESPN grades are on a 100-point scale.

Sources:
"2011 Team Ranking". Rivals.com. Retrieved June 13, 2015.

Kasen Williams was born on May 20, 1992 to Aaron and Rhonda Williams. He attended Skyline High School in Sammamish, Washington, where he lettered in football, track, and basketball. Williams received numerous awards in high school, including the Parade All-America National Player of the Year, Maxpreps.com's National Player of the Year, and was also named a first team All-American by USA Today, ESPN, and Maxpreps.com. Despite earning offers from multiple major football programs, Williams committed to Washington on August 28, 2010

Career highlights and awards

Parade All-America National Player of the Year (2010)
Maxpreps.com Natioal Player of the Year (2010)
USA Today High School All-American (2010)
ESPN first team All American
Seattle Times Player of the Year
Gatorade Football Player of the Year (2010)
Pac-12 honorable mention (2012)

If not for breaking his leg he was a riser and was playing well, not saying he was first round talent, but he would have been signed most likely, Bengals did sign him as UDFA but was not able to pass their physical.

Rob12

Reaction score
I'm not a Husky fan, and I think Kasen has the tools to be very good. Call it a hunch or whatever. He's had a rough go of it so far in his career. Injuries, shaky QB play in college - if the kid can succeed, he will do it here.

Apparently many here have forgotten that the coaches know how to maximize talent here...

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
vin.couve12":5nxtin5l said:
ImTheScientist":5nxtin5l said:

Does anyone else think we should have given more time to let Daniels develop at QB? He looked pretty good even while he was being converted to WR.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":3hlcg6k2 said:
vin.couve12":3hlcg6k2 said:
Does anyone else think we should have given more time to let Daniels develop at QB? He looked pretty good even while he was being converted to WR.

Yeah of course. Pete hated that he was swooped away from us. He was similar to Russ in a lot of ways and looked like a plan for a long term back up, while also being able to contribute at receiver. It's not the end of the world though, back-up QBs aren't that hard to come by as they are only insurance for when the QB1 goes down, which doesn't really happen a lot with Wilson.