Something I just can't let go of

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
February 2, 2014 was such a perfect day in nearly every way possible, but one thing keeps nagging at me.

Malcolm Smith was a terrible, lazy choice for MVP.

Had had a good game, but Russell Wilson, Percy Harvin, Cliff Avril and several others were all so much better.

In the end Kam Chancellor was the MVP that game. It's so obvious to me. Can we go back in time and fix this injustice?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":g47liglz said:
If I remember correctly, a number of the players, including Kam, didn't sign the contract ahead of time so they weren't eligible for MVP.

This the first I've ever heard of such a thing.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":ctyhtids said:
February 2, 2014 was such a perfect day in nearly every way possible, but one thing keeps nagging at me.

Malcolm Smith was a terrible, lazy choice for MVP.

Had had a good game, but Russell Wilson, Percy Harvin, Cliff Avril and several others were all so much better.

In the end Kam Chancellor was the MVP that game. It's so obvious to me. Can we go back in time and fix this injustice?

Statwise he was probably the best choice for MVP and the people who appoint those things don't look much further than that. Although I don't think it would have been that much of an issue if he was still with the team.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":1ta1ki4s said:
Hasselbeck":1ta1ki4s said:
FlyHawksFly":1ta1ki4s said:
If I remember correctly, a number of the players, including Kam, didn't sign the contract ahead of time so they weren't eligible for MVP.

This the first I've ever heard of such a thing.

Yes, there are obviously a lot of obligations that go along with being the MVP, so they make the players sign a contract before the game, in the chance they are selected. If they don't sign the contract, they aren't eligible.

You must be talking about the promotional side of this?? The benefits not associated with the Football game itself but the commercial side? Truly asking, because I dont know.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
I didn't hate the Malcolm Smith choice for MVP but I didn't agree with it. In hindsight, I would have absolutely loathed the Harvin choice. Chancellor was obvious MVP for the Superbowl imo.

seabowl

Reaction score
Malcolm made so many huge plays that he was the obvious and correct choice.

sutz

Reaction score
storm74":2y2p1lfu said:
I didn't hate the Malcolm Smith choice for MVP but I didn't agree with it. In hindsight, I would have absolutely loathed the Harvin choice. Chancellor was obvious MVP for the Superbowl imo.
For all the hoopla, Harvin's contributions were essentially meaningless IMHO. If he hadn't played, it might have reduced the margin of victory, but it's not like his contribution "won the game" single-handedly.

Frankly, I kind of liked the Smith choice, because the team is kind of that way. It's good to see a lesser known player gets some props. Easily could have been one of several other players.

I've never heard of the whole contract argument, but I suppose it's possible. I doubt it, though. :34853_tinfoil:

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
In my mind it was Kam or Avril. Kam set the tone early on DT, had the pick and continued to make his presence felt later on Welker. Really obliterated the WR from the greatest offense of all time. All Avril did was wreck Manning all night. Without Avrils hit on Mannings arm, no way Smith wins MVP

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
I didnt mind it because he was the one who actually ended the game against SF not sherman. Sherman only tipped it but Smith is the one who was there to grab it to go to the superbowl. And then in the superbowl played really well.

Having said that Avril and Bennet were the real MVPs on defense that night

drdiags

Reaction score
It was a toss-up on who to give it to. I would have given it to Kam or Avril. One of the weirdest MVP selections in my mind was Chuck Howley for the Cowboys as part of the losing team. That most likely never happens again where a member of the losing team gets the MVP.

I can see it now, asking a player who just lost the Superbowl where he is headed. I don't think he will say he is going to Disneyland.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
seabowl":qjrzrmzb said:
Malcolm made so many huge plays that he was the obvious and correct choice.

I can't think of a single one. You mean the pick 6? That credit goes to Avril. The fumble recovery? Byron Maxwell. Any others I'm missing?

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
dbmack":v6r773ci said:
I remembered posting about that contract so I did a search on my posts. The link to the article still works.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=93479&p=1355057&hilit=Mvp#p1355057

dbmack":v6r773ci said:
Kam was one of several players who didn't sign the pre contract.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/Feb ... olm-smith/

The article says Smith hadn't signed the contract prior to the end of the game, so it had no bearing on who the writers in the press box picked for MVP.

ivotuk

Reaction score
drdiags":3i3phvmn said:
It was a toss-up on who to give it to. I would have given it to Kam or Avril. One of the weirdest MVP selections in my mind was Chuck Howley for the Cowboys as part of the losing team. That most likely never happens again where a member of the losing team gets the MVP.

I can see it now, asking a player who just lost the Superbowl where he is headed. I don't think he will say he is going to Disneyland.

Love your dedications DD. Some good players have contributed to the building of this team. I'll never forget Leon Washington single handedly winning the game against San Diego.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":1s9w3sau said:
Hawkstorian":1s9w3sau said:
dbmack":1s9w3sau said:
I remembered posting about that contract so I did a search on my posts. The link to the article still works.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=93479&p=1355057&hilit=Mvp#p1355057

dbmack":1s9w3sau said:

The article says Smith hadn't signed the contract prior to the end of the game, so it had no bearing on who the writers in the press box picked for MVP.

You are misinterpreting what happened. Several players every year are approached for pre-contracts. Many of them turn them down. Kam Chancellor turned them down. Malcolm Smith on the other hand either hadn't signed the contract or hadn't explicitly opted out. Just because Smith didn't have a precontract signed, doesn't mean that he turned it down. Where as Kam (and several other played) wouldn't have signed the contract before or after, and Disney knew it, so why pick him at all? This happens every year.

Except the Disney thing has nothing to do with who's named MVP. Sure Disney prefers it be the MVP who utters their line for the commercial, but there are several instances where it wasn't the MVP. The most recent instance being XLIX where Julian Edelman and Malcom Butler were both in the commercial, but Brady won the MVP.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/2/2/5363088/going-to-disney-world-super-bowl-history

mikeak

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":3i1lut58 said:
Hawkstorian":3i1lut58 said:
dbmack":3i1lut58 said:

http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f ... p#p1355057

dbmack":3i1lut58 said:

You are misinterpreting what happened. Several players every year are approached for pre-contracts. Many of them turn them down. Kam Chancellor turned them down. Malcolm Smith on the other hand either hadn't signed the contract or hadn't explicitly opted out. Just because Smith didn't have a precontract signed, doesn't mean that he turned it down. Where as Kam (and several other played) wouldn't have signed the contract before or after, and Disney knew it, so why pick him at all? This happens every year.

Disney doesn't pick. Signing the contract and getting the award is not tied together

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":1q07dbyu said:
It DID influence who the MVP was for SB 48.

You seem pretty convinced this is true,but the article you inked does little to support what you're saying. Is there something else that makes you believe this?

pehawk

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":37r91sf2 said:
FlyHawksFly":37r91sf2 said:
It DID influence who the MVP was for SB 48.

You seem pretty convinced this is true,but the article you inked does little to support what you're saying. Is there something else that makes you believe this?

Faith man, faith. You of all people understand.

IrishNW

Reaction score
Speaking of Malcolm Smith, he had one hell of a year in Oakland.

122 Tackles, 4 sacks, 2 FF and 1 int

Latest posts