Jim Zorn comments on Super Bowl XL*

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
The whole interview as a whole is pretty good, but this really stuck out to me...

A lot of fans remain bitter from the calls in Super Bowl 40, did you feel they cost you the game or would you attribute it more to getting beaten by the Steelers?
I'll give you a pretty straight answer and it's an informed answer. With Mike Holmgren, and I was on his staff for seven years, one of the things that my responsibility was to always send in the video in question of questionable calls -- either that we felt like this should have been a call, we felt like this wasn't a call, that we felt like it shouldn't have been called, or we would say: interpret this for me -- we don't understand this situation.

Well, after the Super Bowl, I sent in 15 questionable calls of that nature. We felt this was wrong, we felt this should have been called, we felt this shouldn't have been called, interpret this.

You send it into the league office and then the league responds to you with all your questions. The league office will say: you were wrong here, this was the right call. Or, they're honest and they will say you're right and this should have been called this way.

Well, out of those 15 questionable calls, the league office agreed on seven of them. Almost 50% of the questionable calls made in that game were incorrect. Had those calls been made correctly, I absolutely believe we would have won the Super Bowl.

You said there were 15 questionable calls after the Super Bowl. For a typical, standard NFL game, how many questionable calls would you send to the league office?

Probably I'd send in -- because you go offensive, defensive, and special times -- I could send in, on offense, five to seven. That would be a major deal for me. Usually, I'll send in an average of three on offense. Every week would be different. One week it would be three; the next week it would be two. Or I don't have any this week. There would even be times when you didn't even have any.

Just on offense, it would turn out to be three to five. And then, you would get some more on defense and a few on special teams. I think the officials, they try to do a very good job -- they're not out there to do a poor job and every year they're trying to be as consistent as they can be. It's just a difficult game and it's hard to interpret the way that rules are sometimes written. It's a hard game.

I'm not trying to make an excuse that we did not earn the win because we ended up losing -- and we can say all we want with excuses about the officials.

Did you know that the official actually came back to Seattle at some point a couple years later and actually apologized? He came to speak for somebody and actually apologized on behalf of him and their staff -- apologizing to the Seahawks.

Even though it sounds like I'm whining and pining for an excuse to say, 'yeah we should have won it,' there's something to that in the fact that an official from the league would come and speak during an offseason speaking engagement and apologize to the Seahawks fans.

For the full interview - go here:
http://www.fieldgulls.com/interviews/20 ... -interview

Torc

Reaction score
Great article. I didn't realize Dave Brown had passed away, that makes me sad. He was one of my favorite players from those early teams.

RiverDog

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":1t4wkfc9 said:
irfuben32":1t4wkfc9 said:
I would love to know which 7 the league agreed with.

I think 3 or 4 are pretty obvious. Illegal block by Hasselbeck on a tackle being one!

If I remember right, that call was preceded by a holding call on Locklear that negated a TD pass to Stevens. If memory serves, Hass threw a pick following that aborted TD. The Locklear call was one of the worst and would have had to have made Zorn's list. That sequence was a turning point in the game.

TheWalrus

Reaction score
The weak holding call on Locklear when it looked like the guy was clearly offside is the one that has always bugged me. We completed a pass to the 1 yard line on that play. Next play was the interception. That was pretty much the difference in the game right there.

The offensive PI on Jackson that took away a touchdown was a pretty big deal too.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Had season tickets for years, including during the Husky Stadium years - but that one broke me.

Gave up watching professional football for five years after that SB. Just wasn't going to watch a sport where my team was not even given a chance. Personal contacts of mine were sharing that Holmgren was telling people that he felt the league would never support Seattle winning a championship because of the location/niche market, et al.

I just said to hell with it, only watched college FB, cancelled/move a few conventions in Pitt out of anger/spite, and took a long time to come back to the sport. Didn't completely abandon it like I did the NBA but it took close to 4-5 years to crack that door back open again.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
It's nice to hear someone on that staff speak out about this. It also shows how cowardly the NFL is as this should have been made public.

dogorama

Reaction score
I can't remember being that mad in my life. I didn't watch another NFL game for years. we should have blacked out the entire region. It was completely disillusioning. It felt like what's the difference if we have a great season, thet'll screw us in the Super Bowl anyway.

Hass2Carlson

Reaction score
Alexander was blatantly horse collared on that possession before the interception. I don't know why that is never mentioned. Still has to be the most one sided officiated game in league history, and it was the Super Bowl! Totally robbed

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Man 15 calls when average total according to Zorn is 5-7 and like he said that Ref admitted they made a bunch of errors to the team and the fans.That didn't help me any as I was and still can get livid over it.The biggest farce of a game I have ever seen.It was like NFL took a dive on it like boxers from the 50's just unreal crap.Ron Burg if you read this please do not start otherwise this will go shack..

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
I know some will say I'm crazy, but I've always believed, and still believe to this day, that those officials were instructed, whenever possible to give the benefit of doubt to the Stealers. The NFL knew Pittsburgh had a much bigger fan base, that Jerome Butthead or WTFever his name was, was retiring, and they wanted that story line to play out. No, I don't think they would fix a game, but I do not put it above Tagliabue, or Mr "Good"ell, to try and sway things with officiating

JustTheTip

Reaction score
TheWalrus":3ms8nwm9 said:
The weak holding call on Locklear when it looked like the guy was clearly offside is the one that has always bugged me. We completed a pass to the 1 yard line on that play. Next play was the interception. That was pretty much the difference in the game right there.

The offensive PI on Jackson that took away a touchdown was a pretty big deal too.

Not only was the player Locklear got called for holding offsides, but the NT was clearly lined up offsides. The blatantly crooked officiating on that play and the following play are what determined the outcome of Super Bowl XL.

ivotuk

Reaction score
The Roethlisberger TD was not a TD.

He admitted it on David Letterman saying "But we would have gotten it on the next play because we had the same play called."

Maulbert

Reaction score
Torc":zbqhw0ri said:
Great article. I didn't realize Dave Brown had passed away, that makes me sad. He was one of my favorite players from those early teams.

Really? That was big news leading up to the game against the Redskins. He was honored at halftime.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Bitter":1hguyxhb said:
TheWalrus":1hguyxhb said:

Not only was the player Locklear got called for holding offsides, but the NT was clearly lined up offsides. The blatantly crooked officiating on that play and the following play are what determined the outcome of Super Bowl XL.

It wasn't the NT it was the DE and he jumped off sides well before the snap

My brother inlaw was at the game and had what he said was the perfect view of the snap, the DE clearly jumped offsides and the official immediately (and instinctively)m threw the flag. He said they jumped up and cheered knowing it was a free play. The problem is they then called holding.

Here was the real problem according to him. The flag came out so fast it couldn't have been for anything other than off sides. It was right at or after the snap and before Locklear could have possibly been anywhere other than right in front of the DE. Unles of course the official was predicting a holding call.

Probably the biggest frustration for me is that the replay doesn't show the official who threw the flag and apparently the all22 for that game doesn't have a camera view that shows it. At least nothing I have seen. Seems pretty simple really. If that flag really came out that fast then how could he be calling anything other than off sides. Is there a reason that the review of the flag cannot be found?

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
TheWalrus":zc72uy9k said:

I remember the replay on the "holding" call. Was it Michales and Madden doing that game? Whoever it was disagreed with the call and had a tough time seeing the hold.

When talking about the offensie PI a few days later, a non-football fan friend couldn't understand why if the guy did something (Jackson had a really weak push off motion) why I was so upset about the penally. Best way I could explain it is if you have people routinely driving 75 in a 60 zone with no ticket, and you get one for going 61.