Walter Jones throws shadow on Alexander...

irocdave

Reaction score
Anyone else catch Softies show this afternoon? They played a sound clip from Big Walt. His take was anyone could have rushed for what Shawn Alexander did behind the line the Hawks had. He also said he would have loved to block for Lynch.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/1 ... done_what/

Softies stance was Alexander deserves to be in the ring of honor more than Lynch. I disagree. Lynch was a much better back the SA ever thought about being.

Thoughts??

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
Alexander was a slightly above average back with a hall of fame line. Walter Jones is absolutely correct is this case. Alexander extended his career by running soft and going down with little or no contact. He only ran hard when he thought he could get into the endzone from short yardage situations. Probably the most overrated running back in the history of the nfl and definitely the most overrated in seahawks history imo.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Alexander was a good RB in his prime, for sure. He was just NOWHERE NEAR as good as his stats suggested.

Could ANYONE have put up quite the numbers that Shaun did? No. He was legitimately in the 5-10 range for RB, with a HOF offensive line that made him look like a top-3 rb.

Shaun may have gotten the better season stats and awards, but he was not as good as Marshawn.

Unfortunately there's no way to know how well Lynch would've done behind that OL, but I think the Hawks win the Super Bowl if Lynch is the RB.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
storm74":ezl7qmtu said:
Alexander was a slightly above average back with a hall of fame line. Walter Jones is absolutely correct is this case. Alexander extended his career by running soft and going down with little or no contact. He only ran hard when he thought he could get into the endzone from short yardage situations. Probably the most overrated running back in the history of the nfl and definitely the most overrated in seahawks history imo.

He was much better than that, unfortunately he was also selfish. There were plenty of runs where he showed just how good he could be when the goal line was involved.

Lynch is more talented, more of a football player and more physical though. Softy can go stuff it if he thinks Alexander belongs up there ahead of Lynch.

HawkGA

Reaction score
As an Alabama fan and a Seahawks fan, I have quite the affinity for SA. But I would probably take Lynch over him. I do think SA probably belongs in the Ring of Honor, but not over ML.

two dog

Reaction score
I never thought about that before but the prospect of Marshawn running behind
that line would be absolutely fearsome, devastating. Man, what a scary proposition.

We all know Alexander left yards on the field due to his soft running style.
That made his pout at the end of his greatest year all the more Cam Newton like.
Sorry, but that's the way I see it.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Kennedyin92":2vip6pfm said:
Cue the Alexander love in 3...2..1.
FIVE TD's in the first half against the Vikings.
Don't have a whole bunch of "Love" for SA, but I also don't have ANY reasons to piss on the guy......He was a SEAHAWK.

Smellyman

Reaction score
I was always a fan of Shaun and really liked watching him run. Wasn't until I came to this forum and found out the hatred for him.

Curt Warner always went to the sideline too. Not every back can be ML. I always thought some self preservation was good for an RB

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1d4rchfe said:
Kennedyin92":1d4rchfe said:
Don't have a whole bunch of "Love" for SA, but I also don't have ANY reasons to piss on the guy......He was a SEAHAWK.
This.

chris98251

Reaction score
Put team on his back and blasted us to relevancy against the Saints and led the way to our Super Bowl wins.................

A

Anonymous

UK_Seahawk":3ulppufc said:
scutterhawk":3ulppufc said:
Kennedyin92":3ulppufc said:
This.

I do.

Beastmode never made a single "personal decision" before the whistle blew. Ever.

SA, on the other hand, made several tackles happen all by himself, particularly in his last seasons as a Hawk.

Yes, I just said that.

endzorn

Reaction score
The way I see it Marshawn would have thrived behind that line and put up numbers the HOF couldn't ignore. If Alexander had run behind the lines Lynch has had he would have folded like a cheap tent.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I actually think Alexander was the better back to be running behind that awesome line to be honest. In fact I'm not sure Beastmode would have had a lot, or even any more total yards, as he isn't as fast as Alexander.
I guarantee Alexander would have had far less behind our current line though. Both backs were the right type of back for the line they had really.

themunn

Reaction score
"All he had to do was make a linebacker or safety miss"

The thing is - that's what he did, time and time again. Marshawn can break tackles but those safeties and linebackers never got near Alexander, that's what made him a great back.

Alexander put up 1667 carries over a five year period (average 333 per year) without missing a game - and even in his 2006 injury season averaged 25 carries a game over the 10 game he played - including a 40 carry game against the Packers.

OK he didn't have the perception of toughness that Lynch has, but how many backs manage 333 carries in a single season let alone average it for 5 years? Lynch didn't hit that mark once in his career. No player in 2015 hit that mark, DeMarco Murray hit 392 last year and promptly disappeared this year, no player hit it in 2013 and 2012 is the only year since 2008 where more than one player has managed it.

Lack of toughness my ass.

Lynch is a great running back, but Rawls showed last year that his lack of speed left many yards on the field because safeties and linebackers could get to him and slow him down where a back like Alexander wouldn't have been touched in the first place.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Alexander was still good. You guys act like he was chop liver.

I remember when he would come into the game to as a rookie to spell Ricky. You could tell he was electric.

No he wasn't a bruiser. But he wasn't the scrub you all make him out to be.

Haters... There, I said that!

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
themunn":1k3zjb74 said:
"All he had to do was make a linebacker or safety miss"

The thing is - that's what he did, time and time again. Marshawn can break tackles but those safeties and linebackers never got near Alexander, that's what made him a great back.

Alexander put up 1667 carries over a five year period (average 333 per year) without missing a game - and even in his 2006 injury season averaged 25 carries a game over the 10 game he played - including a 40 carry game against the Packers.

OK he didn't have the perception of toughness that Lynch has, but how many backs manage 333 carries in a single season let alone average it for 5 years? Lynch didn't hit that mark once in his career. No player in 2015 hit that mark, DeMarco Murray hit 392 last year and promptly disappeared this year, no player hit it in 2013 and 2012 is the only year since 2008 where more than one player has managed it.

Lack of toughness my ass.

Lynch is a great running back, but Rawls showed last year that his lack of speed left many yards on the field because safeties and linebackers could get to him and slow him down where a back like Alexander wouldn't have been touched in the first place.
You make too much sense.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":96tm22a3 said:
Alexander was still good. You guys act like he was chop liver.

I remember when he would come into the game to as a rookie to spell Ricky. You could tell he was electric.

No he wasn't a bruiser. But he wasn't the scrub you all make him out to be.

Haters... There, I said that!

I love Big Walt, but he's exaggerating. Momo couldn't generate the numbers behind that line that Shaun did, and I would put Momo at the "100% average back" level.

Shaun's talent did have some effect.