Jeremy Lane: 'I would love to go back to the Seahawks'

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
I'd have a wee bit of money on him going to Jacksonville. They're throwing a lot of crap at the wall right now and hoping it sticks. Lane would.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
There might very well be a team who pays him a lot more than us.I'd love to keep him but if he gets too expensive we have plenty of other options. Shead is nearly as good and a healthy Simon would work wonders as well. For the nickel spot we still have Burley. There's also plenty other guys waiting for a shot like Tye Smith, Seisay, Farmer and Stanley Jean-baptiste.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Im torn. 1/2 of me wants him back, but 1/2 of me wants him to get PAID and land us a decent pick next year.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":b4fhpcw1 said:
Im torn. 1/2 of me wants him back, but 1/2 of me wants him to get PAID and land us a decent pick next year.
I find hoping we lose a good player for a comp draft pick to be a strange hope to have. Don't understand it.

I'd like to keep him if we can fit him in the budget.

candybars

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":pqt7jzva said:
Hawk_Nation":pqt7jzva said:
I find hoping we lose a good player for a comp draft pick to be a strange hope to have. Don't understand it.

I also agree with this.

Largent80

Reaction score
Getting tired of the business aspect of football. Money this, money that. In the end, the money comes out of our pockets.

Comp picks? We lost some key backups in 2014 that had an affect on the 2015 team and so far those comp picks haven't produced much.

sutz

Reaction score
Largent80":33ohdw0h said:
Getting tired of the business aspect of football. Money this, money that. In the end, the money comes out of our pockets.

Comp picks? We lost some key backups in 2014 that had an affect on the 2015 team and so far those comp picks haven't produced much.
I don't think they would. Aren't the '14 comp picks up this year's draft? I thought there was a year's delay.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2znc0azm said:
Hawk_Nation":2znc0azm said:

That's the key. Someone with a ton more cap space will offer him more $$. Id love to keep him, but not at the amount where it pulls more money from the pot that needs to go to the Oline.

We cant keep everyone.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Largent80":1uzarlp5 said:

Those why I don't follow it. No need to follow until it happens. He signs great, if not move on.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
Which is usually the kiss of death for us. I think if I had to pick any one player for the Seahawks to re-sign it would be Lane. Coming off a devasting injury and playing admirably. Probably will be a stud next year feeling better.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Overseasfan":1589sfpl said:
There might very well be a team who pays him a lot more than us.I'd love to keep him but if he gets too expensive we have plenty of other options. Shead is nearly as good and a healthy Simon would work wonders as well. For the nickel spot we still have Burley. There's also plenty other guys waiting for a shot like Tye Smith, Seisay, Farmer and Stanley Jean-baptiste.

A healthy Simon? What is this you speak of? That like Sasquatch/Bigfoot? or other regional mysterious beasts Chupacabra or Nessy?

lukerguy

Reaction score
With Maxwell, Thurmond, and Browner getting paid and being busts. I think the LOB cast offs are going to be less and less desired in UFA. Lane is arguably less prolific than the other three and thus I don't think him getting paid would ever results in a top 5 round compensation pick, but perhaps a 6-7th.

I would prefer to keep him as long as the market is reasonable.

McGruff

Reaction score
The Seahawks have taken a depth hit the last two years for two reason. First, people are signing our fringe starters to astronomical contracts, that they later regret. Second, we have been getting hit with injuries, not to starter always, but to those depth players. Our CB's took a huge hit this last year.

Regarding Lane, I think he's our #1 internal FA. Take the Cary Williams contract and give it to Lane. He will have outside suitors, but given his injury history and lack of starts, I don't see him getting a Byron Maxwell deal, or even close to it. He's much more in the Walter thurmond contract category, and I think its worth it to keep him.

Tical21

Reaction score
Because we are in the middle of a championship window, I think we have to keep him. We can't afford to get torched in the slot in important games. I'd rather keep Okung than Lane, but it is close.

kearly

Reaction score
I've always seen him as a competent player made to look good by a group of talent behind him that took a while to get going. He was never the game to game difference maker that Maxwell was. He is a nice player, but I don't think he's worth $6 million per year to Seattle. He will probably be worth that to someone else, though.

When I see late round picks like Tye Smith etc, I think that them playing at Jeremy Lane's level in a few years is a realistic expectation. For Pete, as long as he keeps drafting a couple late round corners every year, players like Jeremy Lane should be viewed as fungible assets.

I think next year will be Marcus Burley's time to shine. And the year after that, Smith.

chris98251

Reaction score
Thurmond is playing well as a Safety, any DB in the Eagles system last year was going to look worse they he is because of Kellys system.

But the system and how a player is used is very key to how a player can shine, put them in a different system and they may excel or decline based on how they are used and what they are asked to do. Why many times a player going for the money looks so bad somewhere else. Not used the same way, Then loses confidence or age catches up and they are never the same.

Also why a cast off can go somewhere else and shine used differently and we sit and ask why didn't we keep him.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":ynfkerw1 said:
Hawk_Nation":ynfkerw1 said:

I wouldn't mind seeing him get paid, but not for the comp pick. Just because I think it's great when former Hawks do well. Much as I like to see them get paid by the Seahawks, I know it's not realistic, so God Speed. But if the money is comparable, I would prefer the player to the pick.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Losing Lane would be an incredible obstacle to overcome for this defense.

Good corners go for a ridiculous premium right now.

You keep him unless you have at least 2 guys in the wings now, (because corners get hurt and you need backups that can perform as well).