At combine last year, Tyler Lockett advised to not continue

drdiags

Reaction score
... his career.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2016/2/25...by-some-doctors-that-playing-football-was-too

Kind of troubling. Wonder if he should re-consider?

Around this time last year at the combine. I was told that I'm not be able to perform until some test was ran on me. I took a cat scan that took about 15-20 minutes and it determined if I could ever play football again. It was the longest 15-20 min and scariest 15-20 min of my life. They cleared me to play. Then doctors I had to visit said it's too risky, asked my major and basically said football may be over. Told me if I get hit hard I might die off impact, Etc. I told him I don't believe that God would bring me this far and tease me and then I don't make it. one of the most emotional days of my life. I broke down as soon as the doctor left the office. I don't know if they doubted the God that I serve or if they didn't understand the purpose that I was given. They told me football was too risky. But obviously God showed me something different! As I look back at my first year I went from not even supposed to play again according to some doctors who hadn't seen anything like it to God showing me what He has planned for me in my life! So to everyone in the combine and who will be participating in pro day.... PROVE THEM ALL WRONG.... YOU CAN AND YOU WILL.... JUST BELIEVE.... GOD GOT YOU!!!! #God #Family #BigThankYouToTheDoctorsThatClearedMe #GodIsBigger #Combine #Purpose #Exception #IJustNeedAChance #ThankYouSeahawkFamily

chris98251

Reaction score
He took some vicious hits last year also. Wonder what the condition is?

Overseasfan

Reaction score
So you're saying our new star receiver could very well die on the field but he himself doesn't think it's true because something, something, god?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Overseasfan":2qnpb7nq said:
So you're saying our new star receiver could very well die on the field but he himself doesn't think it's true because something, something, god?

Or because other doctors and an NFL team cleared him to play.

Decimation

Reaction score
Wow! I did not know about this at all. Hope it's nothing to worry about, seemed like he took some pretty big hits this year. Kid has been a baller and looks like he has a long career ahead of him. And he's only 23! That's crazy, the sky is the limit for this guy.

sutz

Reaction score
I thought I heard something to this effect before. Kind of scary. It is good that there appear to be doctors supporting, or at least condoning, his choice to continue playing. Would hate to see him rely completely on the "Jesus will save me" routine.

He showed some skills and some toughness last year. I hope it continues, but mostly I hope his life isn't endangered.

Gametime

Reaction score
Insert comment about Russell Wilson magic water endorsement here.

:stirthepot:

Exittium

Reaction score
This just seems weird for me on one hand I think its a play by whoever the team Docs were that told him to not play, i.e. he leaves the draft and then before training camp the team with the docs who advised him not to continue sign him. (Desperation belicheat type move...)

He took some big hits this year. His I'm sure we've seen left people like percy a little wobbly in the playoffs a few years ago.
I don't think for one minute PC/JS or the team Docs would be putting him out there knowing that if he got hit he could die. Just there seems to be more to this story. That either Lockett doesn't know i.e. the above mentioned theory of some desperate team. Or Docs in the NFL are starting to become more overly cautious with things with all the press and what not about NFL players post NFL careers with some serious issues, unfortunate deaths etc etc.

Considering he's allowed the Play and the NFL itself is allowing him to play. I'm going to go out and say some desperate team, knowing the kids potential and knew he wouldn't last where they wanted him, tried playing some screwball crap.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":32okrsyw said:
Overseasfan":32okrsyw said:

Would be the better explanation but keep in mind this is a bit of a culture shock for me. In the Netherlands people who are this devoted to religion are usually seen as either uneducated, a tad crazy or both. It's difficult for me to comprehend someone ignoring doctor's advise because of a belief in a higher being.

mrt144

Reaction score
Overseasfan":3bb0sk3t said:
MontanaHawk05":3bb0sk3t said:
Overseasfan":3bb0sk3t said:

Would be the better explanation but keep in mind this is a bit of a culture shock for me. In the Netherlands people who are this devoted to religion are usually seen as either uneducated, a tad crazy or both. It's difficult for me to comprehend someone ignoring doctor's advise because of a belief in a higher being.

Take me with you to your glorious land of music, pastries, weed and secularism.

LolaRox

Reaction score
I came here to see if this story was posted.

I have great for respect Tyler's bravery and the belief he has in himself and his faith. He seems like such a great young man.

After he posted the initial testimony (his words) he posted these two

[tweet]https://twitter.com/TDLockett12/status/702942113739218947[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/TDLockett12/status/702942380106846208[/tweet]

original poster

Reaction score
He took some seriously big hits last year and each time I expected him to not get up, he did. Every time.

He gained my respect not only through his playmaking ability and raw skill, but his toughness. There's one jersey I want for next season and its a #16 Lockett.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
The point was that he got some bad information from the combine doctors last year. Sad that a young man almost lost his career before it even started because some tests were a bit off.

Willyeye

Reaction score
Overseasfan":248cx1d6 said:
MontanaHawk05":248cx1d6 said:
Overseasfan":248cx1d6 said:

Are you saying you have no devout believers in the Netherlands? I don't get the culture shock thing...in America, non-believers believe that believers are as you described them. Believers think non-believers are crazy. I keep an open mind...there's no reason to think they are crazy as long as they're not killing themselves in the name of some god.

I am personally not religious...but I know people that are highly educated who are believers in a higher being...some are highly intelligent and definitely not crazy.

There is this...throughout the history of mankind, most people believed in a higher power. You can judge them as crazy, but there are strange things that happen when people get together and pray, meditate, or whatever. I have watched religious people pray over gravely injured people that were supposed to die, and after a lot of prayer, they suddenly improve. In the old days, it may have been referred to as magic.

Like I said, I'm not religious, but I believe there could be some higher level of existence, aka, a higher power. I am in no way saying that religious believers are correct in their beliefs, but perhaps you should open your mind to the fact that strange things happen everyday on this planet, and maybe there is some kind of higher power.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Willyeye":2h5l5pkn said:
Overseasfan":2h5l5pkn said:
MontanaHawk05":2h5l5pkn said:
Overseasfan":2h5l5pkn said:

Are you saying you have no devout believers in the Netherlands? I don't get the culture shock thing...in America, non-believers believe that believers are as you described them. Believers think non-believers are crazy. I keep an open mind...there's no reason to think they are crazy as long as they're not killing themselves in the name of some god.

I am personally not religious...but I know people that are highly educated who are believers in a higher being...some are highly intelligent and definitely not crazy.

There is this...throughout the history of mankind, most people believed in a higher power. You can judge them as crazy, but there are strange things that happen when people get together and pray, meditate, or whatever. I have watched religious people pray over gravely injured people that were supposed to die, and after a lot of prayer, they suddenly improve. In the old days, it may have been referred to as magic.

Like I said, I'm not religious, but I believe there could be some higher level of existence, aka, a higher power. I am in no way saying that religious believers are correct in their beliefs, but perhaps you should open your mind to the fact that strange things happen everyday on this planet, and maybe there is some kind of higher power.

Just to clear things up here I have nothing against religious people but the way Lockett uses his religious in the argument looks a lot like blind devotion. Blind devotion to a religion is one of the most dangerous things there are. Ignoring all reason and sense of consequence because of a belief you will have an eternally blissful life in heaven after death. There is nothing that either proves or disproves religion so it's a bit of a gamble to rely on that, isn't it?

On having devout believers in the netherlands, yeah we do but those are for 90% old people in certain communities or muslims. Less people go to church every year and especially among the youth there is only a small percentage of christians left.