Man awful quiet,

Marlin Man

Reaction score
when in the hell are they going to do SOMETHING???? The quiet is killing me

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Combine is just starting and I believe signings and trades really don't pick up till the second week in March. Guessing that this is what you are referring to

chris98251

Reaction score
This front office plays close to the vest also, they negotiate behind the scenes and then dump all at once, keeps the other teams guessing I suppose not knowing our specific needs and what were looking at.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
We almost signed a dude from the CFL and Russell and Ciara still haven't done the nasty, what more do you want.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
It's still awfully early. Dealing with our FAs will be the initial priority and that will happen closer to March 9.

I very much doubt the team will be very active in FA until late.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
jammerhawk":a38g2hr9 said:
It's still awfully early. Dealing with our FAs will be the initial priority and that will happen closer to March 9.

Yep, that's their usual operating procedure.
I think they probably have a few passed over players that they'll bring in for interviews, quiz them on their desire to compete, and see if they are a CAP fit.
Sometimes there aren't many other options for them, but still a chance to continue playing for a team that's still in the thick of competition.

Willyeye

Reaction score
scutterhawk":i42w82sq said:
jammerhawk":i42w82sq said:

Yep, that's their usual operating procedure.
I think they probably have a few passed over players that they'll bring in for interviews, quiz them on their desire to compete, and see if they are a CAP fit.
Sometimes there aren't many other options for them, but still a chance to continue playing for a team that's still in the thick of competition.

I believe that Compensatory Draft Picks have become a HUGE consideration for JS/PC. Losing 4 players to Free Agency every year will give them 4 extra draft picks the following year. As such, they will likely sign only cut players and/or FA's after June 1...if they sign FA's prior to June 1, they will lose an extra compensatory draft pick for each FA signed. The Hawks have extra picks in the 3rd, 5th, and 6th rounds this year because they let Maxwell, Carpenter, and Malcolm Smith walk in 2015 (there is still a slim chance that they get a 7th round comp pick this year for losing Schofield).

In 2014, they let Tate, Browner, Giacomini and McDonald walk and for compensation they recieved an extra pick in the 4th and 5th rounds and two extra picks in the 6th round. Although comp picks were not tradeable in the past, it allowed the Hawks to trade 4 of their regular draft picks to get Tyler Lockett last year. To show how important those draft picks ended up being; given that they traded their 1st round pick for JG, and 4 picks for Lockett (one pick was the 4th rounder we recieved in the JG-Unger trade), had it not been for Comp Picks, after the Clark and Lockett picks, the Hawks would have only had 2 other picks, the picks where they chose Poole, and Sokoli. Think about that...without comp picks last year, our entire draft would have been Clark, Lockett, Poole and Sokoli. The comp picks got us Glowinski, Tye Smith, Gwacham, and Ryan Murphy. Granted Gwacham and Murphy ended up on the Saints and Broncos respectively, but Glowinski and Tye Smith could still end up being huge for us.

But ultimately, letting players leave for FA and picking up comp picks allows a team to save a lot of money in cap space.

chris98251

Reaction score
Comp picks can be traded this year also, more ammunition to move up if they desire to or collect more picks to move down in another scenario, scaling will be a bit different I think now with more picks available to move around. Some team will throw them in and sway a team creating a disparity somewhere.

drdiags

Reaction score
chris98251":1k2rk9ar said:
Comp picks can be traded this year also, more ammunition to move up if they desire to or collect more picks to move down in another scenario, scaling will be a bit different I think now with more picks available to move around. Some team will throw them in and sway a team creating a disparity somewhere.

I thought they tabled this for 2016 and it doesn't go into affect until 2017? You cannot blink with the NFL.

This was from last Dec

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14274468/nfl-owners-ok-compensatory-pick-trading-2017

NFL owners approved two changes Wednesday that might have an effect on the NFL draft starting in 2017 and free agency in 2016.

The owners, who are meeting in Irving, Texas, voted to allow compensatory draft picks to be traded beginning in 2017 and also voted to shorten the "legal tampering window" before free agency from three days to two.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Why would you doubt this FO? They're always working behind the scenes. Always, always, always.

No one heard a peep of the Graham rumor until the trade was announced. Relax