Just for fun trade idea

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
It's the end of February. Still awile til free agency starts. The combine is happening but that's about it. With the possible uncertainty surrounding Kam Chancellor, how about this for a trade idea. I'm not even sure if I could get behind it but it's slow and quiet in the NFL world so why not? Straight up swap Chancellor to Detroit for Calvin Johnson? Of course we would need assurances that he's not retiring. And probably a reworking of his contract. I believe his cap hit for '16 is 11 million.

Hyak

Reaction score
Aside from the cap differences in the two contracts, I'd argue that Kam has more value on this team than Calvin Johnson would.

Add in the implications inside the locker room - Baldwin, defensive players, etc. I wouldn't consider it. JMO

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
JTB":3hmrtbyf said:
Aside from the cap differences in the two contracts, I'd argue that Kam has more value on this team than Calvin Johnson would.

Add in the implications inside the locker room - Baldwin, defensive players, etc. I wouldn't consider it. JMO

I know this was "just for fun," but I think the ramifications inside the locker room will be significant.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I would like to trade our crappy players for someone else's good ones.
Am I doing this right? 8)

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1u2ptr0d said:
I would like to trade our crappy players for someone else's good ones.
Am I doing this right? 8)

Yes. Double yes if you rework the contracts of the players we get into multi-year "prove it" deals.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Detroit doesn't have a need at safety; and If your heart isn't still in the sport Seattle isn't a good fit.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
pmedic920":35qs1h17 said:
Just for fun?

WhiskyTangoFoxtrot?

Seriously,What is fun about that trade?
Please point out the upside, because I can't see any.

Not fun but I do believe a dominant center or even blocking style TE or H-back (if I understand H-back correctly) would do more for the overall team than Kam.

That caveat being the Kam from last year who I believe is the Kam we will be getting going forward.

For this team to take the next step I really believe pass protection has to improve and improve significantly. Even if that means our defense drops slightly. I don't believe we would drop from #1 to #12 defensively by replacing Kam but I do believe our offense could jump to #1 or 2 with improved pass protection and make us a more balanced team. The defense would also benefit from the offense sustaining drives especially late in games or against dominant D-lines.

I have said many times I think the three most important positions to upgrade this off season are Center, FB and a blocking TE. A good center will dramatically impact the play of both gaurds. A bad or below average center will make it hard to even evaluate Guard play. I think we need to get back to the days of M-Rob, Zach Miller and Max Unger. Much like what the Panthers did this last year with Olsen, Tobert and Kalil. That combination would do wonders for the growth of the rest of the offensive line hiding the blemishes of growth. Look at Oher who most thought was done in the NFL that suddenly had a career year on that line because of all the support around him. Last years struggles on the O-line were magnified because we didn't have the support around the line to help.

I'm all for resigning Fred Jackson or bringing in someone like Forte to also help on 3rd down without showing our hand and I am excited about Cottom but don't expect him to step on the field and be immediately elite though from reading what several have posted about him he sounds like he has some real potential and fits the style of H-back that could go a long way in helping the team.

I love what Kam brought to the team but I also believe he made himself expendable with his hold out last year and then following that with the performance on the field. If we can upgrade another area of the team that could have significant impact overall, I think it's a smart move. It also sends a message that holding out won't be tolerated.

pmedic920

Reaction score
RichNhansom":1arfx2iy said:
Not fun but I do believe a dominant center or even blocking style TE or H-back (if I understand H-back correctly) would do more for the overall team than Kam.

That caveat being the Kam from last year who I believe is the Kam we will be getting going forward.

For this team to take the next step I really believe pass protection has to improve and improve significantly. Even if that means our defense drops slightly. I don't believe we would drop from #1 to #12 defensively by replacing Kam but I do believe our offense could jump to #1 or 2 with improved pass protection and make us a more balanced team. The defense would also benefit from the offense sustaining drives especially late in games or against dominant D-lines.

I have said many times I think the three most important positions to upgrade this off season are Center, FB and a blocking TE. A good center will dramatically impact the play of both gaurds. A bad or below average center will make it hard to even evaluate Guard play. I think we need to get back to the days of M-Rob, Zach Miller and Max Unger. Much like what the Panthers did this last year with Olsen, Tobert and Kalil. That combination would do wonders for the growth of the rest of the offensive line hiding the blemishes of growth. Look at Oher who most thought was done in the NFL that suddenly had a career year on that line because of all the support around him. Last years struggles on the O-line were magnified because we didn't have the support around the line to help.

I'm all for resigning Fred Jackson or bringing in someone like Forte to also help on 3rd down without showing our hand and I am excited about Cottom but don't expect him to step on the field and be immediately elite though from reading what several have posted about him he sounds like he has some real potential and fits the style of H-back that could go a long way in helping the team.

I love what Kam brought to the team but I also believe he made himself expendable with his hold out last year and then following that with the performance on the field. If we can upgrade another area of the team that could have significant impact overall, I think it's a smart move. It also sends a message that holding out won't be tolerated.

Guess I misunderstood, I thought we were talking about trading Kam for Calvin J.

pehawk

Reaction score
Calvin's cap hit is huge this year so the math is beyond bad. But I appreciate the thought and post.

My dream is Kam for Mingo in Cleveland. Then convert Mingo to SS. Just as silly, I guess.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
pmedic920":335bz1h3 said:
RichNhansom":335bz1h3 said:

Guess I misunderstood, I thought we were talking about trading Kam for Calvin J.

No that was above and not something I buy into as the cap hit wouldn't be even close to lateral. A good center or TE might be similar cap wise or possibly even less and if less leaves room to sign maybe Forte who I think would be an upgrade over Jackson at this stage.

I like that we seem to have moved away from the injured lineman. Unger and Carp were both talented but missing so much time kept the line in a constant state of flux and I believe Okung fits into that role as well. The problem with moving on from those players is the void they left and we complicated that by trying to move to inexperienced lineman with poor blocking support in the other areas I mentioned above. It was a combination doomed to fail from the gate.

After Tobeck retired we sucked at center for several years with Spencer, keeping the line in a constant state of flux. Once Unger emerged we started to gel again but that was with the support of Miller and M-Rob. Injuries to Unger, Carp and Okung compiled with Miller and M-Rob aging and retiring destroyed any continuity. Last year we went with a rookie center in Nowak with no blocking TE and a below average FB. It was doomed from the gate. Now we have a little continuity with health and a year of experience but Lewis is not the long term answer and we still have no blocking TE and a below average FB.

I don't think it is realistic to scrap the entire O-line and I believe some of the guys are probably more talented than what they showed last year but playing in a system of chaos with poor support around them is not an environment anyone is going to excel at so if we are going to even be able to evaluate the talent we need to gain some cohesion and that starts at center and the support around the line. At least that is how I see it.

getnasty

Reaction score
I'll would trade 2015 Kam for 2013 Kam, i honestly hope we him and he can bounce back which I think he will.

firebee

Reaction score
Don't understand why we don't rework Kam's contract and avoid the possibility of any problems coming from the business end of things. He's due 6 million this year, 8.5 next. Rework it so he gets 7.5 spread out even over the next 3 years. He gets a 1.5 million raise this year, loses a million next year and gets extended 1 year. We take a minimal cap hit this year, Kam's happy and we work towards another Super Bowl. Bennett gets a 1.5 million dollar raise this year and everything is good... as long as Kam and Bennett don't look at Graham's contract and say "Why aren't we getting paid 9 million dollars a year to miss the last 6 games of the season while accounting for only 2 TDs" ... Just Sayin... I see this pink elephant dancing in the corner of the room over there.