JR Sweezy, could you give me your opinion on the player?

Djphinfan

Reaction score
Hello folks, just would like your opinion on this player, dolphin fan here, we need help and he's a free agent..are you folks trying to resign, whats your projection on the player, he's still young.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Well he was a DL in college and now is an OL. Sometimes his run blocking will be all pro caliber. Other times he whiffs completely. His pass blocking is sub par. He is very athletic but hasn't had enough time to put it all together IMO. He might end up being a steal of he does ever figure it all out.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Ridiculously athletic for an olineman, nasty as can be, a bit of a steel cage psycho who is liable to pick up a 15 yard unnecessary roughness penalty from time to time.

- this image shows a bit of that crazy athleticism http://twicsy.com/i/eQoKKe

- her's Tom Cable talking about him https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3uSX-BARkk

"A" run blocker, probably a "C-" in the passing game.

I think there's upside there though considering that in terms of experience playing oline he's just finished essentially his senior year of college. Kris Dielman, another Dl to OL convert, didn't even get a start until his 4th year.

Football people like him more than fans do. Given how many starts he has for a run first championship team, his athleticism, his nasty attitude, and durability it isn't surprising that a lot of teams may have interest.

His best plays are those of a freaky all-pro, his bad is far too often though. Regardless, I like him but think Glowinski is a fine perhaps less spectacular but more consistent replacement.

Bwarren

Reaction score
Take him please. Our quarterback thinks he's a bullfighter.....OLEEE. He can cost a lot of plays on his whiff blocks and when he is totally beaten off the snap.

drdiags

Reaction score
When the team first talked about converting him as a rookie, I thought of Kris Diehlman as well. I think his second contract will see his play improve. I would like to see his pass-pro improve but I think he is worth the investment.

Seems quite few teams feel the same way:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Rand_Getlin/status/706896937211924481[/tweet]

pehawk

Reaction score
He'd be a perfect fit for Miami. He'd go a long way in reversing the soft identity Philbin instilled.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
drdiags":3ammxyld said:
When the team first talked about converting him as a rookie, I thought of Kris Diehlman as well. I think his second contract will see his play improve. I would like to see his pass-pro improve but I think he is worth the investment.

Seems quite few teams feel the same way:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Rand_Getlin/status/706896937211924481[/tweet]

:shock:

Ugh. Adios, Sweezy.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
pehawk":1ts4ar58 said:
He'd be a perfect fit for Miami. He'd go a long way in reversing the soft identity Philbin instilled.

Yea, but Miami is gunning for Maxwell too though...so....yea...

OP
OP
D

Djphinfan

Reaction score
OkieHawk":9qvz5atq said:
pehawk":9qvz5atq said:

well, while I have you here, your thoughts on maxwell would be appreciated?

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Djphinfan":1b2xv0pf said:
OkieHawk":1b2xv0pf said:
pehawk":1b2xv0pf said:

Others will probably disagree but I think he's average. He struggled at times here in zone defense and was mediocre in Philly. I'd take a healthy Lane over Maxwell any day.

drdiags

Reaction score
For Maxwell, he has the right make-up as a DB. He is one tough tackler and was pretty good at getting the ball out ala Peanut Tillman. He started off slow here with a few dings but stepped up his game big time his last 2 seasons. He is most likely a good #2 DB, but the Eagles paid him as if he was a #1.

I think the trade lets him fit into what he does best without the high expectations. He is tough like Browner but not as big a flag magnet. Will be interesting to see how he fares against the AFC East QBs. Brady may try him but he didn't target him in the Superbowl. That was our dinged up DB (name drawing a blank right now).

Is Kiko Alonso going to help? He seemed to start off well in Buffalo but not sure how he did with the Eagles. Eagles are cleaning house.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
People like him. Coach Tom Cable likes him -- his pet project for four years. To this day, however, I'm not sold on what Cable's been selling.

At times, Sweezy will make a highlight-reel run block. But I prefer consistency on OL, especially in pass protection. He'll get beat, and he'll get beat bad. Some of that falls on Cable's ZBS, but that's also the only system Sweezy is built for. He's not a guy who will suddenly excel in a power scheme like James Carpenter. That said, if Cable's propaganda ends up getting us a good comp pick, then I guess it might have been all worth it.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Maxwell is a nice player. Philly giving him big money and then not having him play the same technique as he did in Seattle was stupid, but they did it with Nnamdi too.

If Miami has him press and play physical he is a solid starter.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Sweezy is an above average run blocker and slightly below average pass blocker.

Maxwell isn't bad but I don't think he's able to be an effective LCB.

kearly

Reaction score
He's probably the best 2nd level run blocker I've ever seen. He's also a good cut-blocker and gives terrific effort in power run situations. Even in his very first preseason, when I sat down to grade the OL his run blocking leaped off the screen.

That said, as a run blocker I think he's slowly slid backwards after an exciting start in 2012 and 2013. He became more of a veteran and less of a maniac. Still a good run blocker, but not an exciting one any longer.

As a pass blocker he's always struggled with blitz pickups and can get beaten very badly 1 on 1 sometimes. He's not as bad as our other guard, Justin Britt, but he's pretty bad in pass pro despite having 34" arms and a higher SPARQ rating than most left tackles.

Sweezy's failings in pass pro essentially boils down to mental mistakes and technique, so it's disappointing to see him go backwards the past couple years. If another coaching staff can coach him out of these mistakes then he could be one of the better RGs in the NFL.

There's a reason so many teams are interested in Sweezy. He's a phenomenal athlete and still a very good run blocker with a lot of room for growth in pass pro. That said, Sweezy's legacy in Seattle to this point is a bit of a mixed bag as he's a player with extreme strengths and weaknesses.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Djphinfan":sfbw8ddc said:
OkieHawk":sfbw8ddc said:
pehawk":sfbw8ddc said:

He's a great CB in the right system. Athletic, long, plays the run aggresively, tackles well, and forces turn overs. Has good hands and turns to find the ball well. A bit stiff in the hips and needs to use the sideline as a defender, meaning he's not as good in space against the slot WRs.

That said, he's not worth the contract he's on in Philly, and they know it. You don't trade an elite CB that you paid $60m to, if he is playing elite.

mrt144

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2tvj1d65 said:
People like him. Coach Tom Cable likes him -- his pet project for four years. To this day, however, I'm not sold on what Cable's been selling.

At times, Sweezy will make a highlight-reel run block. But I prefer consistency on OL, especially in pass protection. He'll get beat, and he'll get beat bad. Some of that falls on Cable's ZBS, but that's also the only system Sweezy is built for. He's not a guy who will suddenly excel in a power scheme like James Carpenter. That said, if Cable's propaganda ends up getting us a good comp pick, then I guess it might have been all worth it.

It also falls on the team overall where you have someone WORSE than Sweezy in Britt. If Sweezy was the weakest link on the OL chain it'd be alright, he's not and won't ever be.

Jville

Reaction score
Miami is reaching for two physical players. The Seahawks were unable to replace Maxwell last year. He had some timely take away and forced fumbles while in Seattle. His physical play verses the run was exceptional. Solid starter when used properly.

I really like JR Sweezy. He is exceptionally mobile, durable, tough, and nasty. There is really no one else on the offensive line like him. Get him into an up tempo scheme with less improv and that will do wonders for fan perception of his game. Seattle is a place where its star quarterback and running back could do little wrong. Fan routinely express disappointment by singling out linemen.

Miami must have a solid plan. They are certainly identifying players that can help them right away.

Congratulations!

OP
OP
D

Djphinfan

Reaction score
thanks for your opinions..they're pretty encouraging..

I think its fair to say that sneezy is still learning the position considering he didn't play it til he reached the pros..just getting more experience should help the athleticism come thru when it comes to protection..

OP
OP
D

Djphinfan

Reaction score
what style of defense is maxwells skill set best used in, I'm hearing conflicting reports that he's a better at man to man, also have heard that he's better at zone, what style of defense did you guys run here with your corners?