Seahawks have made offer to Mebane

bbsplitter

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/BradyHenderson/status/706992831164907520[/tweet]

chris98251

Reaction score
Looking at how many teams have cut salary were going to be picked clean where they can.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I'm so glad that this is the case. What Meebs and Rubin did against opposing run offenses last year was ridiculous. Mebane is still a top flight space eater and lane maker, and I expect his career arc to mirror the great Pat Williams'. Dude was two-down money well into his mid-thirties.

He's one of the most underrated players in the history of this franchise, in my opinion.

pehawk

Reaction score
nanomoz":ttccm4zp said:
I'm so glad that this is the case. What Meebs and Rubin did against opposing run offenses last year was ridiculous. Mebane is still a top flight space eater and lane maker, and I expect his career arc to mirror the great Pat Williams'. Dude was two-down money well into his mid-thirties.

He's one of the most underrated players in the history of this franchise, in my opinion.

+1

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Apparently Mebane wants to test he market with 4 teams apparently interested he may possibly be priced out of what the Hawks will pay. I'm wondering if the Hawks offer is competitive?

Willyeye

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2nqzmc42 said:
Gonna suck losing Mebane.

Good luck stopping the run

The one silver lining is that the draft is full of REALLY GOOD run stuffers this year. Mebane has declined the last couple of years...his game is not even close to the level that it was in 2011 and 2012. I like Mebane as much as the next guy, but his value now is such that he's not worth more than $3.5 million APY. FO's need to know when to let go of older players that want to be overpaid. One of the keys to a successful team...Patriots are a good example. Can't let sentimentality or even loyalty play into those kinds of decisions. Every player gets old and there's alway a younger, better player that can replace them.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I'm sure Arizona is trying to raid the cupboard. Weaken a division opponent while strengthening themselves.

It never works though. A player from another team never is quite as good as they look from the outside because they are getting older, and because their new team isn't familiar enough with them to use them properly.

A

Anonymous

ivotuk":1h5ba37w said:
I'm sure Arizona is trying to raid the cupboard. Weaken a division opponent while strengthening themselves.

It never works though. A player from another team never is quite as good as they look from the outside because they are getting older, and because their new team isn't familiar enough with them to use them properly.

(Cough... cough...) Chike Okeafor? (cough... cough...)

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Willyeye":1wfj9vf0 said:
Tech Worlds":1wfj9vf0 said:

The one silver lining is that the draft is full of REALLY GOOD run stuffers this year. Mebane has declined the last couple of years...his game is not even close to the level that it was in 2011 and 2012. I like Mebane as much as the next guy, but his value now is such that he's not worth more than $3.5 million APY. FO's need to know when to let go of older players that want to be overpaid. One of the keys to a successful team...Patriots are a good example. Can't let sentimentality or even loyalty play into those kinds of decisions. Every player gets old and there's alway a younger, better player that can replace them.

Uhmmm... Wrong. Mebabe may have declined as a pass-rusher but thats not what the Seahawks ask him to do. He plays a very low profile position as a more or less hybrid Nose Tackle in a 4-3 defense asked to control 2 gaps and more often than not Double Teams.

The guy as been consistent and his two best seasons in Carroll's Defense actually were his two most recent: He was playing at an elite level before his injury in '14. Then in 2015 he started out rusty but still very solid and quickly worked his way back up to his quietly consistent sub elite performance level of play with a few elite performances splashed here and there.

Seahawks Rush D compared to the rest of the league was a brick wall when Rubin and Mebane gave elite performances.

Sub-elite to possibly elite Space Eaters like them protect the back 7 defense getting killed by an OL and potentially injured ( hence reducing wear and tear) and really allows your DEs and LBers to excel in thier assigments with them trusting the bigs will give them optimal one on one matchups or eat up the offensive line so they'll have an easier path towards the ball-carrier.

'14\'15 Mebabe > 11'\'12 Mebane in terms of consistency of "job/duty" performance... Maybe not in terms of pass-rush splash plays and upside. However, I think Mebane as another year or two left in his prime before he starts to decline which will probably be a gradual downward slope rather than a dramatic fall off a cliff. I think as long as Mebane is playing he'll give you consistently solid performances or better. Never worst. Cause ive never seen it from him... He'll have a few bad plays and perhaps even a bad game but i just never seen a string of bad games from him that would constitute awful season from him.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":w48f4p73 said:
ivotuk":w48f4p73 said:

(Cough... cough...) Chike Okeafor? (cough... cough...)

(Cough... cough...) Marshawn Lynch? (cough... cough...)

(Cough... cough...) Michael Bennett? (cough... cough...)

(Cough... cough...) Golden Tate? (cough... cough...)

kearly

Reaction score
I don't want Seattle to feel pressured to over-draft a DT in the first round this year. And I think Mebane still has 1 year left in the tank.

Sign Mebane back on a 1 year deal, then get Javon Hargrave in round 3. I'd be happy with that.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Two down DTs can have a very long shelf-life. I'm totally comfortable rolling with Rubin and Bane on first and second downs for the time being.

Let's not confuse this DT draft class being deep with guys who could potentially start with being full of excellent prospects.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":c5qyup4h said:
Willyeye":c5qyup4h said:
Tech Worlds":c5qyup4h said:

Uhmmm... Wrong. Mebabe may have declined as a pass-rusher but thats not what the Seahawks ask him to do. He plays a very low profile position as a more or less hybrid Nose Tackle in a 4-3 defense asked to control 2 gaps and more often than not Double Teams.

The guy as been consistent and his two best seasons in Carroll's Defense actually were his two most recent: He was playing at an elite level before his injury in '14. Then in 2015 he started out rusty but still very solid and quickly worked his way back up to his quietly consistent sub elite performance level of play with a few elite performances splashed here and there.

Seahawks Rush D compared to the rest of the league was a brick wall when Rubin and Mebane gave elite performances.

Sub-elite to possibly elite Space Eaters like them protect the back 7 defense getting killed by an OL and potentially injured ( hence reducing wear and tear) and really allows your DEs and LBers to excel in thier assigments with them trusting the bigs will give them optimal one on one matchups or eat up the offensive line so they'll have an easier path towards the ball-carrier.

'14\'15 Mebabe > 11'\'12 Mebane in terms of consistency of "job/duty" performance... Maybe not in terms of pass-rush splash plays and upside. However, I think Mebane as another year or two left in his prime before he starts to decline which will probably be a gradual downward slope rather than a dramatic fall off a cliff. I think as long as Mebane is playing he'll give you consistently solid performances or better. Never worst. Cause ive never seen it from him... He'll have a few bad plays and perhaps even a bad game but i just never seen a string of bad games from him that would constitute awful season from him.
'Mebabe?' Is that a Freudian slip?? Eeeeeeeeeww!! [emoji1]